Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

13 hours ago, DoubleOhStephan said:

@mcnach did you try it in passive mode too? 

Yes, I like it, but these strings are still too fresh and I need to reduce the top end, which I can't do in passive mode. Once I put a set of Fat Beams, and wait 5-6 months, it'll be ripe for playing in passive mode ;)

I have to say that for all my love of on-board active EQ, I don't use it to extremes, but to tweak a tiny bit here or there. I spent £150 or so on the 3-band MMSR preamp for my Stingray and I asked John to install a bypass switch too. The sound I normally go for turns out to be almost identical to what I get when I engage the bypass switch :D

My ideal controls on a bass would be a passive tone control, and a semiparametric mids control like the John East one that covers 100-1000 or 200-2000 Hz. If there's room, ok, an active bass control too, probably centered around 80Hz, but not really necessary. If I were to replace the preamp in the Sandberg, rather than installing the U-Retro I've already got, I think I'd probably go for something like a Tonestyler unit to take care of the basic tone, and a semiparametric mids unit. But to be honest, I'm enjoying it too much at the moment to think seriously about it. Let me get over the honeymoon phase first, and we'll see :)

That P pickup... is really nice. Have I said that before? :D 

It's got great definition. A lot of P style pickups can be a bit too bassy by nature and I find myself looking for ways to tame them and get them to sound full and fat without overpowering low end. Reversing the coils does help to some extent (making the half of the pickup covering the E&A strings closer to the bridge and the D&G closer to the neck), but not every bass in that configuration sounds as good as this one. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, M@23 said:

Which hardcases are people using with their Sandbergs? The Fender/SKB stuff looks good, but the smaller body Sandbergs may shift in transit? 

I can't help there. I use a Fusion F1 to take my bass to gigs and practices. I haven't used any of my hard cases in years.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mcnach said:

Yes, I like it, but these strings are still too fresh and I need to reduce the top end, which I can't do in passive mode. Once I put a set of Fat Beams, and wait 5-6 months, it'll be ripe for playing in passive mode ;)

I have to say that for all my love of on-board active EQ, I don't use it to extremes, but to tweak a tiny bit here or there. I spent £150 or so on the 3-band MMSR preamp for my Stingray and I asked John to install a bypass switch too. The sound I normally go for turns out to be almost identical to what I get when I engage the bypass switch :D

My ideal controls on a bass would be a passive tone control, and a semiparametric mids control like the John East one that covers 100-1000 or 200-2000 Hz. If there's room, ok, an active bass control too, probably centered around 80Hz, but not really necessary. If I were to replace the preamp in the Sandberg, rather than installing the U-Retro I've already got, I think I'd probably go for something like a Tonestyler unit to take care of the basic tone, and a semiparametric mids unit. But to be honest, I'm enjoying it too much at the moment to think seriously about it. Let me get over the honeymoon phase first, and we'll see :)

That P pickup... is really nice. Have I said that before? :D 

It's got great definition. A lot of P style pickups can be a bit too bassy by nature and I find myself looking for ways to tame them and get them to sound full and fat without overpowering low end. Reversing the coils does help to some extent (making the half of the pickup covering the E&A strings closer to the bridge and the D&G closer to the neck), but not every bass in that configuration sounds as good as this one. 

Just checked out those Tonestyler units and they are excellent sounding. I can see me moving towards that. Quite liked the 4 way switching version for my Geddy Jazz.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mcnach said:

I can't help there. I use a Fusion F1 to take my bass to gigs and practices. I haven't used any of my hard cases in years.

They're great, I'm moving my Fusion Urban on because I need a case to whack in the back of a strategically packed van. The Fusion is fantastic, but I need something that can be stacked a bit more securely. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I use the SKB that came with my Overwater 6 string but both my Fender J & P basses and my Sandberg VM4 seem fine in the SKB. Can't say i've noticed too much movement in there because the top padding pushes down on the strings to keep the bass steady.

Dave

That's good, thanks, they're probably front runners, I had SKB with my fenders and always liked them. Do you k ow which model yours is? 

12 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve got my Sandberg California in a fender tweed hard case, it fits quite good, you could always add a few bits of extra foam to secure it even more 🙂

Hadn't thought about one of those. I had one of the shaped interior ones housing a Sadowsky and it was great. Looked alright too 😁

• Like 1

1 minute ago, M@23 said:

Hadn't thought about one of those. I had one of the shaped interior ones housing a Sadowsky and it was great. Looked alright too 😁

I didn’t buy it for the sandberg, the case came with my 62 RI jazz, but it fits quite snug and the padding inside the lid seems to hold it 🙂

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Just checked out those Tonestyler units and they are excellent sounding. I can see me moving towards that. Quite liked the 4 way switching version for my Geddy Jazz.

I have one installed in a bass and I’d be happy to let you have a play if you’re wanting to try before you buy. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, M@23 said:

That's good, thanks, they're probably front runners, I had SKB with my fenders and always liked them. Do you k ow which model yours is? 

Apologies having just checked its actually a Hiscox Liteflite Standard case i have. Not sure why i got that wrong.

Dave

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, krispn said:

I have one installed in a bass and I’d be happy to let you have a play if you’re wanting to try before you buy. 

Whereabouts are you based ?

I've watched a lot of the youtube clips on them but to be honest i'm not usually someone that changes things on a bass unless i absolutely have no choice. I usually just sell it and buy what i need ready made :D

Dave

18 minutes ago, krispn said:

I’m in Edinburgh but always happy to help out. The bass I’ve it installed in is a P bass with Lull T Bird pick up. Does wonders for getting the most out of that pick up and worked out just as I’d planned... thankfully!

Post a pic of your bass as i'm trying to imagine how a T bird pick up looks in a P bass.

Dave

13 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

There are some no-particular-brand units on eBay for about 25% of the cost of a Tonestyler (and some cheaper still) although with only 6 positions as opposed to 10. I forgot I had bought a whole wiring loom for a Jazz including one of those a while ago, because I was curious (but clearly not that curious, since I forgot about it!). I plan to install it on my Matt Freeman JJ (both pickups towards the bridge) and see how it goes. I don't see why it would not be good, it's a pretty simple idea/technology. However the 10 position Tonestyler is very nice, so it is a safe bet and it's not THAT expensive.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, M@23 said:

They're great, I'm moving my Fusion Urban on because I need a case to whack in the back of a strategically packed van. The Fusion is fantastic, but I need something that can be stacked a bit more securely. 

If there are heavy cabinets etc that can move about in the van, a hard case is definitely a safer bet. The F1 offers a lot of protection, but it's not designed to withstand safely a PA cab falling onto it :)

9 hours ago, krispn said:

Warning... you'll WANT a Tonestyler after playing that bass. In fact, you might want to keep the bass. I borrowed it for a day or two and it was hard to give it back :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1