Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

36 minutes ago, GisserD said:

because the string is always in contact with the zero fret, it cannot be made from nickel alloy like frets are, as its too soft. it's usually stainless steel as far as i'm aware.

because of this, it cannot be leveled with the other frets so the best option is to leave it high and then file a slot as you would in the nut.

This is my understanding, im happy to be corrected.

My bass was set up by Chris at Classic and Cool guitars before i bought it but the zero fret has no grooves on it at all but i have to say the string height all along the bass is exceptionally low compared to any other bass i've played. 1.8mm at 12th fret on E string but even up at the 1st to 3rd frets its extremely low. Not measured it at those frets tho.

Dave 

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

Looks like Sandberg do file the zero fret as required. The zero fret is made from a harder material than the other frets.

Came across this from Sandberg themselves on how they set up a zero fret. Go down to the 5th post for Sandberg response. Got this from an earlier BC post in March 2018 where some of you had already commented on it.

https://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/Bass/acapella-17/438254-

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

in the U.K. now!

Such a shame it's not an ebony or maple board. I'd have been seriously tempted by either of those. Reminds me of my Shuker before it was refinished, right down to the extra scale length. Will just have to keep on enjoying my TM4-SL for the moment. Maybe one day I could get them to do me one of those in satin orange and black with maple board 🤔

1699205813_OrangeShuk.jpg.603102b628dcddcb0a3154c912b90dc5.jpg

• Like 2

I’ve been talking to Holger about strings for my Sandberg California TT ,because I bought a new set of flats for it and they didn’t fit , so just a bit of info for anyone , the nuts are cut for,  128,100,80,60,40 strings 🙂

• Like 4

On the subject, has anybody used/seen Sandberg nickel strings... Ever?! They inform me they can be ordered, if not bought from retailers, but I can't even see them on their own website. 

I actually am quite liking the stock strings. Really didn't like them a few years back, but seem to be getting on with them now. 

1 hour ago, M@23 said:

On the subject, has anybody used/seen Sandberg nickel strings... Ever?! They inform me they can be ordered, if not bought from retailers, but I can't even see them on their own website. 

I actually am quite liking the stock strings. Really didn't like them a few years back, but seem to be getting on with them now. 

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/brands/sandberg

• Like 1

On 14/05/2018 at 18:50, GisserD said:

I think its about time we have a place where all the Sandberg love on this forum can be focused.

I want to see pictures of all the beautiful Sandberg flavour basses :)

ill kick things off with my most recent 5 string purchace... california VM5 in Surf green

7.thumb.jpg.60e3d910d4a4ae79a6eae5865f88e4ae.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.22d70508c71e2cbdf7e6c462c1a2465b.jpg

I believe I have this bass now. It is very good indeed.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, fretmeister said:

I've been playing my SL TT4 a lot with my big band.

Currently strung with nickel D'addario. I like them a lot, but I have to say in a Big Band environment they are a bit twangy.

I'm wondering whether to just let them get old, or put flats back on it.

My Sandbergs really like GHS Pressurewounds especially when worn in.