Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

I've long looked at Sandbergs and thought I should try one and see for myself if all the love for them is justified....and I concur.  Just given a new home to a 20th Anniversary Edition Ken Taylor Basic 4 and it's fab.  Lovely neck, great slabs of tone from the pick ups with very usable EQ. It will be my only bass for the foreseeable future, I couldn't be happier and I'm pleased to be in the 'berg Club.😎 Here's a pic.

20190522_123551.jpg

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Urban Bassman said:

I've long looked at Sandbergs and thought I should try one and see for myself if all the love for them is justified....and I concur.  Just given a new home to a 20th Anniversary Edition Ken Taylor Basic 4 and it's fab.  Lovely neck, great slabs of tone from the pick ups with very usable EQ. It will be my only bass for the foreseeable future, I couldn't be happier and I'm pleased to be in the 'berg Club.😎 Here's a pic.

20190522_123551.jpg

Very nice 👍.  I bought a custom California tt  a while ago and I can’t fault it in any way ,their build quality is first class 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Can’t remember if you have/have had a Sandy before?

If not welcome to the club, either way - great score - phenomenal basses

Yep bought a black HCA one, sold it. Instant regret as was awesome so very happy when this one appeared. Will never sell this one. Such good basses! 

• Like 1

I recently decided that the zero-fret was quite a bit high on my TT SL, now it's back from the luthier having been lowered.

Much better now. The lower frets are easier to fret. Luthier said that perhaps the zero fret had been missed in the final checks - although it was fully polished.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I recently decided that the zero-fret was quite a bit high on my TT SL, now it's back from the luthier having been lowered.

Much better now. The lower frets are easier to fret. Luthier said that perhaps the zero fret had been missed in the final checks - although it was fully polished.

Both mine had grooves in the zero fret where they are filed to set the string height. 

• Like 1

Pretty sure having seen the Plek machine in action they tend not to be missed, but, could always be wrong on that, I suppose it’s one of those personal adjustments just like action height etc.

Edited by Cuzzie

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

Pretty sure having seen the Plek machine in action they tend not to be missed, but, could always be wrong on that, I suppose it’s one of those personal adjustments just like action height etc.

i wasn't aware that a plek machine could machine a nut? which is effectively what a zero fret is....

all the videos i've seen have always left the nut ajustments up to the operator

1 minute ago, dmccombe7 said:

Yep just watched the Sandberg Youtube clip and at 4:40mins you can see the nut being filed and finished by the tech.

Thanks, but that raises more questions than it answers....

firstly, he appears to be filing the nut there and then checking string height above the fret.... but the zero fret defines the string height at the nut?

second.... checking the height at 1st fret with a string that's NOT under tension? 

Strings look as tho they are under proper tension to me as i can pull my E string over the nut same as in clip. 

This is the first bass i've had with a zero fret so i'm kind of asking a question here rather than making a statement but i would have thought the zero fret should have been set up along with all other frets. Is the point of a zero fret meant to be same as playing against any other fret and that the actual nut should be slightly lower than the zero fret but still retaining the strings in place. ?

So i'm not getting the measurement at the first fret in the clip ?

Need someone with more knowledge than me on this topic.

Dave

because the string is always in contact with the zero fret, it cannot be made from nickel alloy like frets are, as its too soft. it's usually stainless steel as far as i'm aware.

because of this, it cannot be leveled with the other frets so the best option is to leave it high and then file a slot as you would in the nut.

This is my understanding, im happy to be corrected.

• Like 1