Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

I recently started looking at pick-ups for a bass and was really surprised just how many are actually out there even within the same company.

I gave up because of that. It was as daunting as trying to find a new bass only difference is you can't try them out in a shop. Its a lot of money to spend only to find out its not what you had in mind.

Oddly enough i've seen quite a few 2nd hand Ibanez Barts for sale since this discussion started.

Dave

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

I recently started looking at pick-ups for a bass and was really surprised just how many are actually out there even within the same company.

I gave up because of that. It was as daunting as trying to find a new bass only difference is you can't try them out in a shop. Its a lot of money to spend only to find out its not what you had in mind.

Oddly enough i've seen quite a few 2nd hand Ibanez Barts for sale since this discussion started.

Dave

Interesting and totally not surprising about the Ibanez Barts! 

I guess Delanos next... 😄 

Your point about cost / not what you had in mind goes to exactly why it's great to have shared experience (for both good and ill) and recommendations from fellow BCers. We obviously don't need to take stuff as gospel, but it does provide a very useful pointer. 

You know exactly which two makes of pup I steer clear of :)

Without BC I would still be playing Fender basses through a Peavey amp. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

Interesting and totally not surprising about the Ibanez Barts! 

I guess Delanos next... 😄 

Your point about cost / not what you had in mind goes to exactly why it's great to have shared experience (for both good and ill) and recommendations from fellow BCers. We obviously don't need to take stuff as gospel, but it does provide a very useful pointer. 

You know exactly which two makes of pup I steer clear of :)

Without BC I would still be playing Fender basses through a Peavey amp. 

100% agree

You need both sides of a debate to allow you to make a balanced judgement on what might suit you more and you guys might all have different opinions but that's why we're on BC in the first place.

It doesn't need to get nasty like FB. A polite healthy debate is all most of us want to see (or read). 

Lets be honest if we all agreed with everything it would be one heck of a boring forum cause i'd be right all the time without exception and you all know that aint the truth :laugh1:

Now what's wrong wie Peavey amps 😜

Dave

• Like 1

When i'm researching something i want to buy i always ask the people what style of music they play because their style, technique or EQ might not work for me.

Pop and slap sound doesn't really work in a blues or reggae style band. :lol:

Dave

I love my Sandberg superlight.

Had it for about a month now. The only thing it needs and will shortly get is a slight adjustment on the Zero-fret. It's a smidge high.

It's currently got TI flats on it, but I might try some brighter flats - maybe the EB Cobalt ones which I do like.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

When i'm researching something i want to buy i always ask the people what style of music they play because their style, technique or EQ might not work for me.

Pop and slap sound doesn't really work in a blues or reggae style band. :lol:

Dave

I’ve tried slapping reggae, and your right, it really doesn’t work 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GisserD said:

I urge you to re- read the title of this thread.

You've definitely missed your calling as either an innovative pedal housing designer and now budding digital / analogue switching expert with a possible sideline membership of the thought police... 😄 

Other than checking out @krispn's tip-off about the Grand Dark, which does sound interesting I must say, I'd best leave you Berg fanboys to gush away, free from any contrarian think. I'm sure I won't be missed...:hi:

• Sad 1

Think that comment might have been aimed at us going of thread talking about other things. 

I personally value all comments on Sandbergs no matter what the thread title states.

I guess we should have opened up a new thread for honest opinions on Sandbergs and keep this one for nice lovely Sandberg pics. Apologies if we have drifted off thread a bit.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

I own 5 Sandbergs and have sold a further 3. The 3 that I sold all had big pole Delanos. They were great basses and there was nothing wrong with the sound but I prefer vintage tone so I have gravitated towards Sandbergs with small pole alnico pickups.

Big pole pickups have a particular tone and you either think it's for you or you don't.

I've generally swapped out the Delano/Sandberg pickups.  My TT passive acquired a set of Wizard '74s; my VS gained a Nordstrand NP4; and my TT active received a pair of Bartoline B axis pickups.

I preferred all the 'upgrades' to the original fit items, but that is just my view.

My little collection! I'm a huge Sandberg fan, the build quality is exceptional, I love the fret board radius & zero fret, the hardware is very very good, particularly the tuners on the TT, super smooth and very accurate. 

(left to right) -

'16 TT4 Passive - Swamp Ash gloss finish + pearl block inlays. I've had to have a slight neck reshape done to this one as it was a little fat on the shoulders. This one's very light and sounds beautiful. Very pure if that makes sense... 

'14 Classic Special - Mahogany with Bubinga top, pearl dots + Delano pups. Stunning build and playability. The pups are very hifi but it sounded perfect in the neo soul band I was in a few years back. Didn't work at all for the funk & soul band I joined after, hence the passive TT! 

'05 Basic Ken Taylor - Ash body. This has also had a neck reshape prior to my ownership, whoever did it was a genius. The sound is massive, loads of tonal variation, if anything it's a little too complex for me, but it plays like a dream. 

IMG_20190425_142925.jpg

• Like 2