Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

On 17/05/2018 at 23:41, dannybuoy said:

I've got TIs on mine, they're perfect on that bass. They are relatively expensive but you only have to buy them once - I've had a set on my P Bass for nearly 10 years!

14 hours ago, CameronJ said:

@Al Krow the Dunlop Flats I put on my VM5 are glorious! Just spent a few solid hours jamming and I’m loving em. Definitely worth getting a set.

Cheers guys!

My Berg is currently up in the FS section, largely 'cos I was thinking of getting a hollow body bass for that classic 50s / 60s vibe for use with my covers band who focus on that genre, but if I can get a full bodied woody bass tone with either of these flats (and I'm part way there with a cheaper £17 set of Adagio Flatwounds which I got simply to see if me and Flatwounds were going to get on) I can just stick with the Berg and dialling back the bass EQ a touch, boosting the treble and having the MM pup selected instead! 

At which point, I can post my bass on this thread instead of having it in the FS section :) 

So bearing that in mind - which should I go for (bearing in mind that this may be it for a few years from what DB is saying)?

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Cheers guys!

My Berg is currently up in the FS section, largely 'cos I was thinking of getting a hollow body bass for that classic 50s / 60s vibe for use with my covers band who focus on that genre, but if I can get a full bodied woody bass tone with either of these flats (and I'm part way there with a cheaper £17 set of Adagio Flatwounds which I got simply to see if me and Flatwounds were going to get on) I can just stick with the Berg and dialling back the bass EQ a touch, boosting the treble and having the MM pup selected instead! 

At which point, I can post my bass on this thread instead of having it in the FS section :) 

So bearing that in mind - which should I go for (bearing in mind that this may be it for a few years from what DB is saying)?

Ah, so you’ve put flats on your Sandy already? How are they? What do you like/dislike about them?

Edited by CameronJ

They're fine - and I'm kinda 70% of the way there in terms of the sound I'm looking for. But "word on the street" is that choice of strings can make a big difference, so having got used to some 'average' flats on the Berg I'm looking for a possible step up to a quality set to see if that changes things for the better.

Just now, Al Krow said:

They're fine - and I'm kinda 70% of the way there in terms of the sound I'm looking for. But "word on the street" is that choice of strings can make a big difference, so having got used to some 'average' flats on the Berg I'm looking for a possible step up to a quality set to see if that changes things for the better.

How’s the tension/stiffness with the adagios? Do you want a darker tone or a brighter tone than what they’re currently giving you?

Good Q. Tension is fine / comfortable for playing, although (maybe wrongly?) I'm thinking I should have them more taut. 

I terms of tone, I'd probably describe what am I'm looking for as 'punchier / tighter' rather than brighter or darker.

Maybe my focus should be on more of a mid boost - not available on the Berg's 2 band EQ, although I've kinda gone for that by cutting the bass a touch.

I've also given the high mids a boost (at 800hz) on the amp. But the LM3 head has quite a gap between that and the treble at 10khz and I'm not entirely sure where the  active bass EQ on the Berg is centred. For some reason bass makers don't seem to want to release this useful information! 

Edited by Al Krow

TIs are quite middy, but not overly bright. I'm also a fan of Pyramid Gold, similar in sound and feel but with a bit more tension and more low end thud.

Both TIs and Pyramids are nickel flats whereas most others are steel as far as I know. I think this makes them smoother both in terms of touch and tone. LaBellas and Chromes for example are a lot brighter sounding and stickier to the touch when new, although they get smoother once worn in.

I have some GHS Precision Flats ready to try out next on my P though!

59 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Am I right in thinking that nickel is going to result in less fret wear (or fretboard wear on a fretless) than steel? 

On fretted instruments.. Yes. Nickel is softer than steel. 

I'm not sure if yous see any difference in wear rate between steel and nickel roundwounds on a fretless fingerboard tho. Both are WAY harder than wood

• Like 1

I’m using GHS flats branded as Lakland JO flats. Really nice good tension and wonderful feel. I’m a bit gutted that rounds are working better for my current 5’er gig. Still though the GHS are good. I also like ‘Jazz’ flats. Great tension if you’re new to flats they're not as stiff as some of the big names I.e. Jamerson flats and the like.

Edited by krispn
  • Like 1

On 21/05/2018 at 20:54, Mudpup said:

Heres my Sandy PM4. Its an old one (cant find a serial number anywhere....) but a fabulous bass. Almost plays itself. 

My TM4 sadly was always bottom of the class and never came close to learning how it to play itself. It had to go...

• Haha 1

Sandberg TM4 - An 'obituary'

My first 'really nice' bass. With me for 4 years. Sold yesterday. Beautifully made and so well balanced and comfortable to 'wear' and play.

Accompanied me on the journey from being a relative novice to a bass player in two regularly gigging / function bands, and which saw my tastes change:

from: a lover of all things passive tone on a 4 string bass; civilised Delano pups with at most a mild 'valve' drive and a purely finger style;

to: someone using active EQ on his active basses, very fond of aggressive Warwick MEC or big single Nord pups, enjoying a wide variety of pedal sounds and playing 5 strings often with a pick.

Funny how things move on, eh?

I guess your 'first love' isn't necessarily the one you marry. But hopefully it will always be remembered with fondness and happy memories of many rehearsals and gigs for which it was my 'goto' bass. 

Sandberg (1).JPG

• Like 1

On 14/05/2018 at 19:13, CameronJ said:

I’m a relatively recent member of the Sandberg club myself. Had this Electra VS4 for a few months and love it. Upgraded with a passive tone knob which works in active or passive. Had the neck sanded down from gloss to satin finish. I invested in some rather nice Delano knobs too. Strung with Labella Black Nylon Tapewounds. Supposedly Sandberg’s “budget” range of basses but my god it’s nice!

344D5F2F-52E2-4929-ACE2-810A9C250FCC.thumb.jpeg.55d26c1ffd6f8bf3d3c25d533d3f0d9c.jpegB7487D10-A0D4-4619-AC82-02F3CA42F15C.thumb.jpeg.c5a72142c752c3462a33210c9489a531.jpeg

And its soon to arrive sibling:

22033BDC-2CF1-4C38-B87E-D1F5BBD81CEB.thumb.jpeg.ea3f9c0a84b8f3805521636a0de85b8f.jpegBA034238-31FF-4D7A-A082-677E5E2884A2.thumb.jpeg.75240753731b10dd3848b8d377a6a139.jpeg

Miss my sandberg..shame they dont do the Electra in 5 string..ive heard there real value for money...

6 hours ago, patrikmarky said:

Miss my sandberg..shame they dont do the Electra in 5 string..ive heard there real value for money...

Honestly...they’re great value. I picked mine up for about £300 used and it plays better than basses costing 4 times as much. If they did an Electra 5 stringer I’d have one by now!

I had a wee blast on a couple of Basic Ken Taylor 5ers. One a 30th anniversary & the other a bubinga. Compared them next to a Sadowsky Metro, a Mayones Jazz, a MM Bongo & a few Ibbys too. 

I loved the sound of the Bongo, but I’m not sold on the shape & a gold finish isn’t my thaing. 

The Sandbergs sounded very similar & the lows from them are immense. I actually prefer them to every other bass that I played. I liked the Mayones & the Sadowskys, but despite their higher premiums, didn’t play as well as the Sandberds. 

I think I may have found my bass!  😎

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, CameronJ said:

I’m trying to work out what’s going on here?

The scanner uses multiple targets to calculate its positionin in space. Much like GPS satellites would give a position. The lasers then scan the surface to generate a point cloud of the object. This can be converted to an stl file for 3d printing for example... Or more usefully processed into solid CAD for manufacturing /reverse engineering/benchmarking /graphic design/structural analysis/restorations/modifications .... The list goes on. 

It's a new business venture of mine :)

On ‎26‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 04:29, GisserD said:

It's a new business venture of mine :)

That's pretty niche scanning Sandberg basses but good luck with the venture. Do you do fours or is it fives only?