Why become a member? ×

*PRICE DROP* £4000 German Double Bass from circa 1880-sell or exchange ---WITHDRAWN
£4750

Details of German Double Bass: I have owned the bass for approx. 35 years. Excellent playing condition / plays well. Bought from a pro. classical bassist. During that time I have had the following work done on the bass:  Quality tuning machine heads fitted / A 'fillet' fitted under the fingerboard to get the correct fingerboard angle / a new adjustable end pin / a new bridge. As you see from the photos the bass has had considerable wear--a few splits (repaired before I bought the bass and the splits have never opened up during my time with the bass). One of the photos taken outside one of the 'f' holes shows cleats used to fix a split in the back--very professionally done. (fitted before my purchase of the bass). A good sounding bass. 

I have a written valuation done on the bass in 2006--retail value between £4,500 to £5,000.

Comes with a quality 'Mooradian' padded case.

Sell or exchange (or part exchange) for a quality Archtop / Gypsy guitar / Fretless Bass Guitar--depends on what you have) PM me. (Northumberland area to view the bass or if you want to exchange perhaps we could meet up.)

P1020769.JPG

P1020771.JPG

P1020772.JPG

P1020781.JPG

P1020807.JPG

P1020803.JPG

P1020810.JPG

P1020790.JPG

P1020800.JPG

P1020768.JPG

P1020787.JPG

Edited by gypsyjazzer
Withdrawn from sale

• 2 weeks later...

Scale length (Nut to bridge) is 42 and 7/8 inches. Total length of bass from tip of scroll to bottom of bass is 73 and 5/8 inches.

I can't answer your question regarding 'D-neck' as I have never heard that term before. Hope the answers help.

D neck just means that your reference point at the neck heel plays the note D, as opposed to Eb that some other basses are made to. Hope this helps. (On the G string obviously)

Edited by Rabbie
Added the G string thing....

You are welcome. In my experience they are never that precise anyway. I have 2 that are “D neck” but really they are just closer to D than Eb and I have to slightly adjust to get the precise note. I can see how an Eb neck would be handy for jazz, but ultimately I think it’s not so important and it’s more the getting used to your own bass. I once heard someone say that Eb necks were popular in European basses on the 1800s but I have no idea if that information is correct. I don’t think I’ve ever played an Eb....or maybe I have and remained blissfully out of tune...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...