Why become a member? ×

Help identify the bass i just bought.

Andytre

I won this bass on ebay yesterday for £28 comes with a Behringer amp and some bits. my hope was that i was a 80s peavey patriot (been gassing for one fr a while). but i'm not too sure as it seems to have a different pickguard, only a volume control (i'm assuming) and cant see any marking on the headstock. it has the super ferrite PUP and the body looks the same shape but can anyone confirm it is indeed a patriot?

TBH for £28 its not the end of the world if its just some odd bass with a Peavey PUP in it.

off to pick it up this evening!

cheers!

patriot 2.jpg

patriot 1.jpg

patriot 3.jpg

Got it home, its definitely a peavey patriot. Its been refinished (very well too), had the headstock sanded and refinished and had a custom pickguard made from acrylic. It also has some questionable wiring done inside! 

Needs a clean and a setup but hopefully should play well! 

Thanks for all the info on my new bargain! 

Does any one know where i can source a black pickguard from or have any information on the type of truss rod wrench is needed to adjust the neck relief? The action is a bit high and needs sorting to be upto my liking

20180514_200429.jpg

20180514_211227.jpg

8 hours ago, Andytre said:

I won this bass on ebay yesterday for £28 comes with a Behringer amp and some bits. my hope was that i was a 80s peavey patriot (been gassing for one fr a while). but i'm not too sure as it seems to have a different pickguard, only a volume control (i'm assuming) and cant see any marking on the headstock. it has the super ferrite PUP and the body looks the same shape but can anyone confirm it is indeed a patriot?

TBH for £28 its not the end of the world if its just some odd bass with a Peavey PUP in it.

off to pick it up this evening!

cheers!

patriot 2.jpg

patriot 1.jpg

patriot 3.jpg

That amp has seen better days... but I have one just like it and it sounds pretty good. I bought it back in 2007 when I needed a little practice amp, expecting it to be disappointing just like every little bass amp I had tried until then... but boy was I wrong.

I have no idea about the bass, 'though.

Hmmm, you may need to take it to  a good guitar shop to get the correct tool.

Peavey used their own thin walled truss rod wrench on many models, so a normal one may not fit down the hole...

Some have had success with a regular Gibson 5/16 wrench if it's thin enough.

You could end up buying several online to find one that fits. They may still be available direct from Peavey?

@Andytre

I'm hoping you got extra super lucky and that's a mahogany body Patriot :) They came with just the barest hint of a varnish finish so most folks re-finish at some point.

Sorry to say you'll have no luck  getting a scratchplate from Peavey, a mounting ring for the SF though can be had from Dave @fretsonthenet. 

http://www.fretsonthenet.com/ESP_Carvin_Peavey/peavey.htm

If you need to know pot or cap values PM me and I'll check what's in mine.

• Like 1

Guest MoJo
8 hours ago, Andytre said:

@MoJo i often at work just ebay search "bass guitar"  and it was being sold under the title 'bass guitar, amp, stand and leads starter set' so very vague. it was collection only which probably also helped it be so low. 

Thank you

On 5/22/2018 at 07:50, LeftyJ said:

That's not a username to be proud of xD

Nice find, cool bass! Those old USA Peaveys are very underappreciated IMO. 

TBH its not that bad of an amp! but maybe not good enough to be your username, or to keep, so think i'll be getting rid of it.

i cant complain though i have the user name Laney HCM160 on something as thats the only amp i knew at the time.

3 hours ago, Andytre said:

TBH its not that bad of an amp! but maybe not good enough to be your username, or to keep, so think i'll be getting rid of it

As a beer enthousiast, I was referring to IdrinkHeineken xD

• Like 1

On 5/22/2018 at 07:50, LeftyJ said:

That's not a username to be proud of xD

Nice find, cool bass! Those old USA Peaveys are very underappreciated IMO. 

Yeah.... Who on earth would want to have the word 'bass" in their username? Sheer madness, I tell thee.

😎🎸🤠