Why become a member? ×

Fender Cowpoke

Cowpoke was a nickname given to this model of precision bass by members of a US forum - possibly the long-gone dudepit. My understanding is that the nickname  was due to the shape of the pickguard resembling the yokes of a western/cowboy shirt.

I really liked the look of these back in the day but was underwhelmed when I tried the MIM one they had at Rockbottom in Croydon.

19 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Cowpoke was a nickname given to this model of precision bass by members of a US forum - possibly the long-gone dudepit. My understanding is that the nickname  was due to the shape of the pickguard resembling the yokes of a western/cowboy shirt.

Thank you for clearing up that mystery for me - I remember a bass-playing acquaintance describing my Schecter (favourably) as a "Cowpoke P-bass" and spend a fair while wondering what on Earth he meant by that!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I saw a great new band called Loup Garoux the other night. The bass sounded awesome and looked very cool; kind of Fender-ish but hard to identify with the stage lighting and dry ice. 

Anyway I tweeted Richard Jones the bass player who very kindly responded: 

So it’s a Cowpoke. Full on GAS ensues, and I’m hoping I can shift the items I’m currently selling in order to make a bid in one that’s currently on eBay.

A63855A6-6ECA-4ED5-B964-817E0CBF00C6.jpeg