Why become a member? ×

Tribute bands

ChunkyMunky

28 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

same with From the Jam, they got their Paul Weller from a tribute, and very good he is too

Journey's current singer was from a trib and I think when Thijs van Leer wanted to get Focus back as a touring band he basically went out and recruited members of a Focus trib (though another original member subsequently rejoined). Tim 'Ripper' Owens selected from a Judas Priest trib when Rob Halford left for a while. The story is used as the basis for a film.

Edited by KevB

19 minutes ago, KevB said:

Journey's current singer was from a trib

Not quite - he was a club singer in Manila, Philippines, singing all styles of music including rock songs like Journey....

On 5/15/2018 at 18:29, Dan Dare said:

"Tribute" bands = sad nonsense. Don't care how good/"accurate" they are. Does anyone eat "tribute" (i.e. fake) food or drive a "tribute" car? Ridiculous.

I am sure all those Beatles tributes playing to packed theatres, year in - year out would have trouble with that statement.
T.Rextasy are the best tribute band I have ever seen. They are busier than practically anybody.

There is a demand for most of the acts who put the effort in to reproduce the sounds and look of those we have lost.
I am waiting for an opportunity to catch the 'Purple Rain' Price tribute, when I can.

It may not interest Dan Dare, but the rest of us are not Dan Dare (nor a tribute to him). :)

1916873_138770279470687_4378725_n.jpg?_n

Edited by 12stringbassist
  • Like 1

On 5/16/2018 at 13:15, cetera said:

I was a founding member, and spent 26 years, with a KISS tribute band. We wore the full outfits and boots (custom made and VERY expensive), had custom guitars made (and existing guitars customised) and took the musical/vocal/arrangement accuracy very seriously. To me, that's what makes a 'tribute' band, rather than a 'cover' band. I even went as far as to learn firebreathing and we filled our performances with the expected pyrotechnics too....

It all paid off though...

We were the first KISS tribute to perform all over Europe & Scandinavia and played numerous international fan conventions too. Over the years we played with, played for and/or appeared with almost all original and latter members of KISS as well as appearing on both of Gene Simmons worldwide TV shows. We performed for the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Def Leppard, headlined festivals and launched products (Volvo etc). We also performed at music 'trade shows', played Halloween at the Cafe De Paris in Monaco and toured Japan with The Bootleg Beatles, Counterfeit Stones, T-Rextasy and Royal Family (Queen show), gaining endorsements from Washburn, Ibanez, Cort and Spector along the way....

We even discovered that KISS were keeping up date with our performances and later found that a mid song breakdown/arrangement I had created had been adopted by KISS themselves in their live show!

It was very hard work, but great fun and gave me life experiences that will stay with me forever. I also spent spare time in originals bands and cover bands over the years so have seen both sides....

Tribute haters gonna hate...... usually from their bedrooms...... but I guarantee I worked 10 times harder during every 2hr tribute show than haters ever have onstage....

That's all well and good , but did you all do Lois Griffin :drinks:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, KevB said:

Journey's current singer was from a trib and I think when Thijs van Leer wanted to get Focus back as a touring band he basically went out and recruited members of a Focus trib (though another original member subsequently rejoined). Tim 'Ripper' Owens selected from a Judas Priest trib when Rob Halford left for a while. The story is used as the basis for a film.

Brian Wilson's band when he started touring again in the early 2000's was partly made up of a band who at the time were performing as a BW tribute act. Apparently they were doing a show somewhere one night and Brian was on the front row! I've seen them perform together 3 times and it was amazing each time - certainly some of the best gigs I've ever seen. Ironically they have now fragmented a bit, some of the band leaving to tour with The Beach Boys and the rest remaining with Brian. They are doing some UK dates this summer.

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/05/2018 at 14:08, Graham said:

It can go the other way as well, wasn't Nick Fyffe in a Jamiroquai tribute band before getting the call from JK?

I think he auditioned for a tribute band and didn’t get the gig, and then ended up IN Jamiroquai, if my memory serves me correctly!

Back on topic, I play bass for ‘The Rocket Man’ a tribute to Elton John, and also ‘And Finally...Phil Collins’ which is pretty self explanatory 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Higgie said:

I think he auditioned for a tribute band and didn’t get the gig, and then ended up IN Jamiroquai, if my memory serves me correctly!

Back on topic, I play bass for ‘The Rocket Man’ a tribute to Elton John, and also ‘And Finally...Phil Collins’ which is pretty self explanatory 🙂

That Elton gig must be cool. Dee Murray had a lot of nice bass lines.

7 hours ago, fleabag said:

Never done the tribute thang but i've seen some stonking bands

The Counterfeit Stones, A Whole Lotta Led,  Jailhouse Lizzie ( Lizzy ? ) 

All were bluddy excellento

If you get the chance, Limehouse Lizzy is the Thin Lizzy tribute band to see.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, steantval said:

They used to be fantastic but in recent years they've changed lineups and now are too hi-gain (guitars) and metal (drummer) for my liking. The secret of a good Lizzy tribute (& of a good Lizzy themselves!) is guitars on breakup and a swing/shuffle drummer....

As a result I much prefer Dizzy Lizzy these days. Most authentic one ever though was the short lived 'Rock Anthems presents: Live & Dangerous' show - that was monstrous!

4 hours ago, steantval said:

My mistake - they were called Limehouse Lizzy not Jailhouse Lizzy.

Thanks for the reminder. It was a fair few years back and i got mixed up on the name  :)