Why become a member? ×

Tribute bands

ChunkyMunky

3 hours ago, Christine said:

This whole tribute act argument bores me to death, what's the problem? If you don't like it move on to something you do like; if I stopped to add comment to everything I didn't like I'd be typing for the rest of my like and never get off page one, the sooner you grow up and get on with life the better. We're all different, accept it, don't make yourself look inadequate by trashing everything you don't like.

Like it or lump it, the market for bands is driven by audience demand, if they don't want to see it they won't pay and hence you don't get the booking. The universal truth for any group of musicians is; if you want to get on you have to give the audience want to hear what you have to offer or make the audience want to hear what you have to offer and no amount of whining or whinging will ever change that

Very sorry about that, one of the few things that annoy me are people who like to put others down in any way, why not try and make them smile for a change?

Thank you, Christine.  You have been on the forum for 2 days and this is the most eloquent and sensible thing I read read on the tribute band subject and in response to this ridiculous post.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Christine said:

This whole tribute act argument bores me to death, what's the problem? If you don't like it move on to something you do like; if I stopped to add comment to everything I didn't like I'd be typing for the rest of my like and never get off page one, the sooner you grow up and get on with life the better. We're all different, accept it, don't make yourself look inadequate by trashing everything you don't like.

Like it or lump it, the market for bands is driven by audience demand, if they don't want to see it they won't pay and hence you don't get the booking. The universal truth for any group of musicians is; if you want to get on you have to give the audience want to hear what you have to offer or make the audience want to hear what you have to offer and no amount of whining or whinging will ever change that

Very sorry about that, one of the few things that annoy me are people who like to put others down in any way, why not try and make them smile for a change?

of course this all very sensible, but if we all agreed to differ on opinion they'd be very few threads left to comment on xD

17 minutes ago, Rich said:

*wracks brain trying to think of a Down In The Tube Station At Midnight pun*

*gives up*

Terrible when that happens, it's the bitterest pill, you might as well light your funeral pyre and all around the world, in  a strange town, a town called malice in fact , this English rose and the man in the corner shop along with Smithers-Jones will write to the news of the world for publication in the city but not pretty green fields filled with carnations

How terrible is that?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, cetera said:

True, but only as long as the band are vaguely the same build etc as the originals. A 5ft, 20 stone Gene Simmons does not look good, especially if his bandmates are 6ft 2 and lithe.....
It's amazing how many crap looking KISS tributes are out there......

Counterpoint: Mini Kiss

• Like 1

In a rather amusing 'life imitating art' (or at least tributes) moment I read the other day that Mike Campbell is now on board with Neil Finn in Fleetwood Mac. There's a guy who's both Lyndsay Buckingham and Mike Campbell in FM and Tom Petty tributes respectively. Seen him in both and both were excellent acts. Never done a trib myself but wouldnt knock it back if the venues were good and it was a band I was genuinely into. Don't think he's posted on the thread but one of our members is in the brilliant Kate Bush trib 'Cloudbusting'.

Edited by KevB

1 hour ago, Christine said:

Terrible when that happens, it's the bitterest pill, you might as well light your funeral pyre and all around the world, in  a strange town, a town called malice in fact , this English rose and the man in the corner shop along with Smithers-Jones will write to the news of the world for publication in the city but not pretty green fields filled with carnations

How terrible is that?

Ped, can we ban Christine please? xD

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

Ped, can we ban Christine please? xD

You Billy Hunt!! xD

Only kidding, Thick as thieves we are! 

OK Finished, no more

Back on topic (ish) I would love to be in a Status Quo (pre 77)  tribute band, too old now and not enough energy

1 hour ago, Christine said:

How terrible is that?

Copied to BC Famous Quotes thread.

Laydeez'n'Gemmun, we have a new record for fastest newb into FQ's.

Kudos.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PaulWarning said:

if memory serves me right Dee Dee Ramone played in a Ramones tribute for a while, bizzare

It can go the other way as well, wasn't Nick Fyffe in a Jamiroquai tribute band before getting the call from JK?

16 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Rather a silly comment. No orchestra or members actually try to dress like or be Mozart and Schubert (or any other composer) and/or play only their material.

:) In fact, the Vienna Mozart Orchestra dresses up like Mozart (see post above) and performs only his work. The Bach Ensemble was formed in 1978 by the esteemed Joshua Rifkin, plays Bach almost exclusively and has recorded only the works of Bach. Indeed, in the geographic home of the tribute act The Haydn Orchestra of Australia hews pretty closely to his works but occasionally chucks in stuff like Boccherini to sweeten the pot. The list goes on...

In fact, it's a pretty established tradition among jobbing classical musos to form scratch bands with rotating personnel and to name the aggregation after certain well-known composers; to begin by performing a mixture of that composer's faves and rarities and then - when the steam starts to go out of it or they've made their name - to start throwing in music by the composer's contemporaries. 

On the other hand, you get outfits like the Bach & Beethoven Ensemble of Chicago who go off the rails and don't perform anywhere near as much of the eponymous composers' work as one might expect but instead branch off into commissioning new stuff and generally being a bit arty-farty in the community (the better to score donations from charities, quangos, philanthropists, I suppose).

So - within classical music - there's a clear and living distinction between 'function bands' that play a mix of well-known covers (the LSO, The Berlin Phil) and sort-of-tribute bands such as those mentioned above. Then there are era-bands like the Academy of Ancient Music or The Consort of Musicke or The Tallis Scholars who roughly equate to I ♥ the 80's acts. New original music is regarded as terribly worthy but not as good at putting bums on seats as a programme of old chestnuts, unless it's ghastly pabulum by the likes of Einaudi and Karl Jenkins as hawked by Classic FM in between the good stuff.

In fact, the more one thinks about it, the more the classical world and the pub music market come to resemble each other with the financially-driven need to pull audiences in with the offer of familiarity and / or focus.

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Christine said:

How terrible is that?

I haven't clue what that's about, but it reads like lyrics or poetry that has been machine translated through several languages. Interesting!

6 minutes ago, Graham said:

It can go the other way as well, wasn't Nick Fyffe in a Jamiroquai tribute band before getting the call from JK?

same with From the Jam, they got their Paul Weller from a tribute, and very good he is too

9 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I haven't clue what that's about, but it reads like lyrics or poetry that has been machine translated through several languages. Interesting!

It's a bunch of Jam song titles bundled into something that has a bit of punctuation in it here and there

1 minute ago, Christine said:

It's a bunch of Jam song titles bundled into something that has a bit of punctuation in it here and there

Ah, I didn't realise that, wouldn't know a Jam song if it walked up to the bar and bought me a drink. Not really my era. Comes across well, though.

• Like 1