Why become a member? ×

Tribute bands

ChunkyMunky

3 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

He died a few years ago unfortunately.

The group is still going - Livewire, AC/DC tribute.

I remember helping out backstage on an event that they were headlining - terrific singer...! 

• Like 1

I was in a Stereophonics "tribute" band ...we didn't look like them ..though weirdly I played in an originals band at the same time whos's singer was the spitting image of Kelly jones ( great singer but didn't sound anything like Mr Jones)

We did mess with arrangements a bit and I didn't stick to the root note bass lines that Kelly jones insisted were played on "his" songs.

I don't care if you like the idea of tribute bands  or about anyone's idea of what constitutes a tribute band ...I had a fantastic time made decent money and played main stage rock city to 2000 (ish) people, all singing along to every song , three times....I'll die a happy man.

Edited by Raymondo
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, cetera said:

We even discovered that KISS were keeping up date with our performances and later found that a mid song breakdown/arrangement I had created had been adopted by KISS themselves in their live show!

That, is awesome

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, peteb said:

I remember helping out backstage on an event that they were headlining - terrific singer...! 

Which one? They always used to do a 2-part set with a Bon Scott to start and a Brian Johnson to finish.

I play in a Banshees cover band, I won't say tribute even though we don't play anyone else's music, with the best will in the world I'm never going to pass for Steve Severin xD we don't try to emulate any particular members but do dress appropriately. It's all very simple stuff, a lot of fun to play and so far has gone down very well

On ‎15‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 20:46, musicbassman said:

Dear Dan Dare,

The word 'tribute' has nothing to do with 'fake'.

A 'tribute' is actually what is correctly known as a 'paean' - meaning  'a creative work expressing enthusiastic praise'  or ' an expression of praise or exultation' (Wikipedia)

This may all sound a bit nancy noo, but that's the way it is.

By the way, I personally am not a huge fan of tribute bands, but, hey.......................... ^_^

Exactly. I own a dictionary (in fact I own several). "Tribute" in this context is a mis-use of the term. It's a euphemism. It would be more accurate to say "imitation".

On ‎15‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 21:11, steantval said:

How about posting a live video of your band and let the ridiculous tribute band bass players see what makes you so much better.

I don't think you understand me. I'm not claiming to be "better". I'm stating that I think "tribute" bands are a nonsense. Many of us play in covers bands and play  music others have written. However, we play a range of material. It's the exact copying of everything about one particular artist that I find unhealthy and a bit silly.

22 hours ago, Bobthedog said:

I guess that makes any current orchestra playing Mozart or Schubert etc just sad nonsense. The Caterham Seven must also fit into your banding too. Perhaps troll should also revert to being an ugly dwarf to avoid being sad nonsense 

Rather a silly comment. No orchestra or members actually try to dress like or be Mozart and Schubert (or any other composer) and/or play only their material.

2 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

I don't think you understand me. I'm not claiming to be "better". I'm stating that I think "tribute" bands are a nonsense. Many of us play in covers bands and play  music others have written. However, we play a range of material. It's the exact copying of everything about one particular artist that I find unhealthy and a bit silly.

But why? If you have a particular enthusiasm for the output of one artist/band, who is to say it is unhealthy or a bit silly to concentrate on playing that material?

I listen to a very limited range of music, and am happiest when playing the music from that range. As it is increasingly unlikely that I will ever be invited to join the original band, playing with  people who share that enthusiasm, to audiences who also share it, is the next best thing.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Exactly. I own a dictionary (in fact I own several). "Tribute" in this context is a mis-use of the term. It's a euphemism. It would be more accurate to say "imitation".

Except that the term in question is not 'tribute', it is the compound noun 'tribute band' which is commonly accepted to mean a cover band which plays the material from only one artist, and which may or may not attempt to appear to be like the band they are covering visually. On a purely personal level, a band playing my favourite music is a good thing, dressing up to imitate the original artists is a step too far.

Tribute suggests it is being done in some way to honour the original. I doubt many people in tribute bands dislike what they play, and in my experience they do it for the love of the music in question so tribute band is perfectly acceptable within the meaning of the word. 

• Like 1

And as for 'tribute food'. The last time I looked, every major supermarket up and down the country were selling their own tribute version of the original foods, Weetabix, Shreddies and many other breakfast cereals are particularly well catered for. Lidl even do the whole dressing up lookalike thing, with their version of McCoy's crisps, Muller yoghurts, etc. They seem to be doing rather well which is strange if nobody is buying it. 

16 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Unhealthy? Interesting statement. In what way, Emotionally? Mentally? Spiritually? Physically? 

There's a huge market for tribute acts. It's fun, it's consensual, no one thinks they are the actual band, no-one watching thinks they are either. It's entertainment

You don't like tribute bands, good for you. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Rather a silly comment. No orchestra or members actually try to dress like or be Mozart and Schubert (or any other composer) and/or play only their material.

We obviously have different definitions of a tribute band. I take them as a band that plays the music of band, probably singular. They do not have to dress up or look the same, in my book.  And certainly not a silly comment compared to what you wrote, in my opinion.  

I think the financial success I mentioned already gives clear confirmation that people want to see their favourite music performed live, and are quite happy to pay for the privilege. Especially when the original band don't perform any more. 

I played for a while in a groovy little Paul Rodgers tribute band, playing stuff by Free, Bad Co, some of his solo stuff and even a cheeky Queen number or two. We made no attempt to look like any of those bands as no amount of wigs and loon pants would cover up the fact that we were all "men of a certain age". The "dressing up" thing wouldn't have worked for us, but if you and the rest of your band can pull off a decent visual resemblance to Nirvana, Peter Paul and Mary or Napalm Death, then have at it, I say.  Having seen a bunch of "heritage acts" phone in some rather lacklustre shows in the last few years, a decent tribute act is most definitely a viable option, if you want to hear your favourite songs played by musicians who aren't yet victims of the ravages of time.

Just make sure that if you're making a decent wedge in clubs and theatres by playing another bands tunes, that you make sure PRS know and they can chuck some royalties at the original artists.

• Like 2

This whole tribute act argument bores me to death, what's the problem? If you don't like it move on to something you do like; if I stopped to add comment to everything I didn't like I'd be typing for the rest of my like and never get off page one, the sooner you grow up and get on with life the better. We're all different, accept it, don't make yourself look inadequate by trashing everything you don't like.

Like it or lump it, the market for bands is driven by audience demand, if they don't want to see it they won't pay and hence you don't get the booking. The universal truth for any group of musicians is; if you want to get on you have to give the audience want to hear what you have to offer or make the audience want to hear what you have to offer and no amount of whining or whinging will ever change that

Very sorry about that, one of the few things that annoy me are people who like to put others down in any way, why not try and make them smile for a change?

• Like 7

I've worked for the last 20 years in a show featuring imitators of everything from Elvis to Edith Piaf. In that time, there have been lots of funny and bizarre stories, but the oddness of one has always pleased me.

We have a Ray Charles impersonator who is an old white gentleman who uses black make-up on stage. This already feels a bit sticky and I'm not sure how I feel about it, but..., anyway my black colleagues have never commented one way or the other, so I don't know what they think about it. 

There is a shared dressing-room for the male acts and one for the female acts.

Some years ago I walked past the mens dressing room and the door was open. There I saw, sat directly next to each other, the white guy putting on his black make-up and seated next to him a Michael Jackson impersonator, who is black, putting on his white make-up to do MJ.

The irony (if that's the right word) of the situation didn't seem to have struck any of those present. I just kept walking and felt like an extra in a Jim Jarmusch film.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, cetera said:

I was a founding member, and spent 26 years, with a KISS tribute band. 

Ahh, see here for me is the grey area. When I said I didn’t like the dressing up thing for tribute bands, there are a few certain groups where this is different, those groups when the group and the theatre is more about the show than the music, such as kiss, pink floyd etc. For those groups the dressing up is the show, I mean it doesn’t really matter who is in the costumes or on stage, the show matters a lot more

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Woodinblack said:

For those groups the dressing up is the show, I mean it doesn’t really matter who is in the costumes or on stage, the show matters a lot more

True, but only as long as the band are vaguely the same build etc as the originals. A 5ft, 20 stone Gene Simmons does not look good, especially if his bandmates are 6ft 2 and lithe.....
It's amazing how many crap looking KISS tributes are out there......