Why become a member? ×

ZVex Mastotron

Quatschmacher

Personally I'm not a huge fan of just fuzz on bass, full stop. There, I said it.

BUT my mastotron/T65 combination Terminator pedal, from Tom at COG effects, in the effects loop of my old 3Leaf GR2 was synth heaven! Amazing sounding combination...

Yup, I was talking about the Wooly Mammoth clone mentioned in a previous post where @GisserD said  it sounded a bit weak and nasal. Mastotron is better equipped to deal with actives.

@Al Krow, have you tried the Diabolik? I could never dial in a satisfactory tone from the Mastotron, but the Diabolik works well for me if I ever need a synthy fuzz. Which is never!

3 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Yup, I was talking about the Wooly Mammoth clone mentioned in a previous post where @GisserD said  it sounded a bit weak and nasal. Mastotron is better equipped to deal with actives.

@Al Krow, have you tried the Diabolik? I could never dial in a satisfactory tone from the Mastotron, but the Diabolik works well for me if I ever need a synthy fuzz. Which is never!

Hey buddy - nope! And at £182 new, I'm really not tempted to either :) 

Sounding like the Diabolik is not getting much use on your board either if you're never in need of what it does best? 😂

I'm not sure whether the Diabolik is gated though? I've got "normal" fuzz covered off by my SA Aftershock, which I know you're not a fan of either. Did you ever use the PC editor on your SA pedals? (I've still got your Manta btw and it's not going anywhere, whereas the days of the Mosaic you sold me could be numbered if I take the plunge with this new Helix Mini thing...)

The Diabolik is definitely gated. It's what I would reach for if I ever needed a synthy/gated fuzz, so I hang onto it!

Only used the iPad editor I think with the Source Audio stuff, but I think it has pretty much the same features. It did excel at fuzz sounds, particularly if you blended a distortion in parallel to give it more bite.

There's nothing in the Helix that can touch the Mosaic btw. Yet. They have hired some polyphonic pitch shifting geniuses and promised improvements in that area, but right now that's one of its weak points!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bigwan said:

Personally I'm not a huge fan of just fuzz on bass, full stop. There, I said it.

BUT my mastotron/T65 combination Terminator pedal, from Tom at COG effects, in the effects loop of my old 3Leaf GR2 was synth heaven! Amazing sounding combination...

Thats exactly what I'm running!! A T65 with a Mastatron (amongst other things) in its loop,running parallel into an Emma Discombobulator!! Until recently I was running them in the loop of a 3 leaf Wonderlove! Best synth sound ever, it still sounds great but the T65/Mastatron/wonderlove combo was very special.

Im on my 2nd Mastatron as i sold my first and regretted it! Ive had the 3 leaf Doom to which I was a fan of, i loved the octave up/quasi ring mod flavour when played past the 12th fret. The fact it worked dynamically to change the tone,worked very well in parallel  with the T65 and Wonderlove (in fact that's been my fave combination).

The Mastatron however is slightly cheaper than the Doom and had a lot more control!! I love both of them, i do now use a Cog Grand Tarkin for fuzz on its own,with the clean blend it sounds very full  and still has a synthy quality but cleaner/smoother 😁

Edited by lee650
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dannybuoy said:

The Diabolik is definitely gated. It's what I would reach for if I ever needed a synthy/gated fuzz, so I hang onto it!

Only used the iPad editor I think with the Source Audio stuff, but I think it has pretty much the same features. It did excel at fuzz sounds, particularly if you blended a distortion in parallel to give it more bite.

There's nothing in the Helix that can touch the Mosaic btw. Yet. They have hired some polyphonic pitch shifting geniuses and promised improvements in that area, but right now that's one of its weak points!

Ok cool. Well if I'm replacing my B3n with the Helix Stomp there will be space on my board again for the Mosaic and it's good to hear it's still going to have its place!

Anyway enough going off topic onto polyphonic pitch shifters and back to fuzzes with gates...😄 

Has anyone tried the copilot orbit and a Mastatron? John Davies of Nerve did a great demo of the copilot and the gated fuzz was brilliant (on you tube though)🤔 it also has the VCO and a clean blend! I reckon if one came up,if have to sell the Mastatron 😁

Edited by lee650

7 minutes ago, lee650 said:

Has anyone tried the copilot orbit and a Mastatron? John Davies of Nerve did a great demo of the copilot and the gated fuzz was brilliant (on you tube though)🤔 it also has the VCO and a clean blend! I reckon if one came up,if have to sell the Mastatron 😁

I've had two Orbits. The original had no blend but had an additional switch that let you get cool 303 like laser sounds as in that demo. The later one added a (much needed) blend but lost that switch, so it doesn't have the same array of sounds!

• 9 months later...

Having recently got a Fearless 112 cab which seems to be able to eat low end for breakfast(!) I thought I'd give the Mastotron as a pure sub generator a spin. Set all the other dials to 'off' / clean and switched the 'Subs' from my usual 2 to 3. Well I'm a convert: this clean sub setting justifies the entry price for the Mastotron by itself!

Combine with my Mesa M6 amp's 'pull deep' on bass EQ and WOW - that's one BIG low end!! DOD Meatbox eat your heart out - this set up is actually gonna be 'usable' without recourse to PA sub woofers!

PS - Mastotron Sub3!.jpg

Edited by Al Krow