Why become a member? ×

Delay, Tremolo & Chorus

Al Krow

I'm looking for something that's going to be compact and deliver a high quality delay chorus and tremolo, ideally in one pedal.

The Keeley Super Mod Workstation looks very good, although will take up a fair bit of pedal board real estate.

https://robertkeeley.com/product/super-mod-workstation/

Anything else out there I should be considering?

That might be one pedal but if it's 3 times the size and 3 times the price of some separates it starts to become less attractive! You could line up a TC mini Corona (which I have in stock!), Flashback and Shaker for less.

There are plenty of small multi function pedals like the Mooer Mod Station but not sure if any cover all 3 areas. Zoom MS-60B or MS-70CDR not an option?

8 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

That might be one pedal but if it's 3 times the size and 3 times the price of some separates it starts to become less attractive! You could line up a TC mini Corona (which I have in stock!), Flashback and Shaker for less.

There are plenty of small multi function pedals like the Mooer Mod Station but not sure if any cover all 3 areas. Zoom MS-60B or MS-70CDR not an option?

Yeh - you've hit the mail on the head - 3 times the size and 3 times the price of some separates. The Mooer Mod Factory does look good on paper - but the review (below) seems to be a fair one 'warts and all' and another instance of you get what you pay for (not always the case, I know)!

Actually the query has been driven, in part, by my slight disappointment with what my Zoom MS-60B seems to be capable of delivering. I spent an hour knocking my MS-60B patches into shape with the ToneLib editor (which is such a good piece of free software for Zoom multifx pedals - I found the interface and editing was a bit tortuous before this excellent bit of software was made available). I basically need the MS-60B to cover off:  tuner, and occasional use delay, tremolo, chorus and HPF*; I've got dedicated pedals for the rest. The MS-60B is just fine as a tuner, passable (but not amazing) on delay and HPF but I really struggled to get a tremolo that came close to the rich / vibrant tremolo I had previously got set up (with little effort) on my B3n. I guess the difference in processing power between it and the MS-60B is starting to show. The B3n is a great headphone / home use pedal but going to take up too much pedal board real estate given the occasional need for the various effects I'd be using it for.

[Update: one of my fellow BCers suggested adding the 'Air' effect to the Tremolo and the Delay to give it a bit more reverb and that seems to have worked well]

*and possibly bit-crusher after today's exchange with @dodge_bass!

8 hours ago, 0175westwood29 said:

you looking to use more than one of them at a time? i really liked the line 6 m5/9 for this as the drives might not be great but really rated the modulation stuff 

Most likely singly rather than together, although I can certainly see situations where being able to use in combination may be nice (but not critical)

The Line6 stuff is also a little chunky and I guess if I was looking at the Line 6 m9, we're kinda getting into Helix HX territory in terms cost / size (and I guess I'm holding out for a Helix HX Mk2 with DI & headphones out and aux in and then I can upgrade my B3n! :) )

Mooer Mod Factory Review (on dV247): "Great idea, poor execution" 

Having seen some brilliant demos of this pedal, it took me a long time to reconcile with the fact that it actually doesn't sound that great at all and is very impractical for live situations. The most annoying factor is the significant DROP IN VOLUME whenever the pedal is engaged (for any of the sounds). Unfortunately, there is no volume control to offset this problem.  It's unfortunate that Mooer went through all the trouble of making a pedal with such great features, but failed to get the details right for each of the features. When considering that it's a pretty low-priced pedal that takes very little pedal-board space, one of the first thoughts is: can I keep it for one or two good sounds? You be the judge: 

Chorus: not great, but okay; basic chorus effect is usable, but when tweaked, it doesn't blend well and sounds metallic and hollow. 
Flanger: does not sound like a flanger at all; no amount of tweaking will make it sound like a half-way decent one; in comparison, Mooer's Elec Lady is miles ahead and is a beautiful pedal, if you want a great flanger. 
Phaser: it's all right, not great; It is quite mild and no amount of tweaking will bring it to those sharp phasers used for cutting funky rhythms; if mild phaser is what you want, this will do. 
Envelope phaser: I was unable to find any good use for this. 
Tremolo: too mild, disturbs the guitar's tone. 
Stutter: I did not find any useful applications for this. 
Vibrato: I'm not a fan of this effect, so my opinion is negatively biased. 
Univibe: misleading function name -- did not resemble anything like the EH small stone (univibe). 
Auto-wah: I'm not a fan of this effect, so my opinion is negatively biased. 
Touch wah: envelope sweep not sufficiently responsive to be interesting; controls not sufficiently versatile to adapt to various forms of playing or signal output strengths. 
Envelope ring modulator: I'm not a fan of this effect, so my opinion is negatively biased. 

In summary, I am negatively biased for some of the features, but the ones that were of interest to me were somewhat weakly executed. I will keep the pedal for its small size and the usable chorus and mild phaser. It's hard to find even just these two sounds in such a small pedal. Although I will have to compensate with volume every time I engage the effect.
Edited by Al Krow
Improvements on the Zoom MS-60B Tremolo patch
  • Like 1

Extremely rare to find that combination of both time-based and modulation effects in one easy to use box, outside the realm of digital multis. With that in mind, I suggest you tear your board apart and go for the following:

Smooth Hound Wireless > octaver of choice > filter of choice > Line 6 HX effects.

The octavers and envelope filters in the HX aren’t going to compete with the best of the analog world but for everything else it’s killer. And you have the now infamously user-friendly Helix interface upon which to build patches and presets. Stereo ins/outs, 2 expression inputs, 2 FX loops (to insert the octaver and filter into) and MIDI i/o. This will all fit onto a Pedaltrain Metro with ease. I’ve been considering going this route myself to be honest! 

Edit: ah, missed the bit about lack of DI output and headphone amp. Indeed, this is an annoying oversight by Line 6 but I guess something had to give! Stick a radial Stagebug on the end with the thru output going to a PJB BigHead xD

Edited by CameronJ

36 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Extremely rare to find that combination of both time-based and modulation effects in one easy to use box, outside the realm of digital multis. With that in mind, I suggest you tear your board apart and go for the following:

Smooth Hound Wireless > octaver of choice > filter of choice > Line 6 HX effects.

The octavers and envelope filters in the HX aren’t going to compete with the best of the analog world but for everything else it’s killer...

Well I've started on the right lines Cam... :) 

PB - 1803 I.JPG

And when Helix HX Mk2 comes out, believe me, I'll be onto it (gotta leave something to look forward to eh? :D). After all it is a Yammy!

Edited by Al Krow

8 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

You’ll have a pretty mammoth wait on your hands then! Remember how long it was between the POD HD generation and Helix?

"Ah grandma", said LRR-H  "all the better for my bank balance then...":D

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I'm looking for something that's going to be compact and deliver a high quality delay chorus and tremolo, ideally in one pedal.

The Keeley Super Mod Workstation looks very good, although will take up a fair bit of pedal board real estate.

https://robertkeeley.com/product/super-mod-workstation/

Anything else out there I should be considering?

Eventide h9

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GisserD said:

Yeah... but you only have to buy it it once!:biggrin:

Aha gotcha, a bit like an Aguilar DB751? Once you've bought it, it's no longer a cost right? Dang - why didn't I work this out years ago?

Edited by Al Krow