Why become a member? ×

Nice Trace Elliot Suprise

MarshallBTB

So after one of my One10 cabs started farting at practise, and with a gig last night I had a quick search for something to get me by until I get the One10 sorted. Found a Trace Elliot 1210 combo and 1x15 cab for a bargain price near me, bought it and gigged it straight away. 

Seriously impressed, wasn't sure how decent this gear was from mixed reviews online but it more than did the job last night ! Starting to think that there is something about heavier gear now...great haha.

IMG_20180512_204611635_HDR.jpg

Edited by MarshallBTB
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, MarshallBTB said:

Seriously impressed, wasn't sure how decent this gear was from mixed reviews online but it more than did the job last night ! Starting to think that there is something about heavier gear now...great haha.

It's not because it's heavy, it's because it's well-designed and built to last! If I had a more robust scrotum, I'd gig my Trace combo every time, it sounds really killer.

4 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

I love the trace sound as well, but use the Barefaced cabs and orange terror 1000w unless it’s an easy load in. For the cost the trace wins.

Definitely. Just over a quarter of the cost of my markbass / barefaced rig. 

I got into lightweight with a pair of Bergantino AE112 cabs which were a breeze to load in and out. I dragged my older heavier HT112ER and EX112ER cabs out from under the stairs to sell them but decided to gig them one last time just to be sure. There was no comparison when it came to the depth and quality of tone the older cabs produced and the AEs were traded soon after. That may have nothing to do with neo or weight but newer isn't always better in my own experience. 

Must admit having had bucket loads of lightweight gear, I`ve found that I prefer the sound of the heavier gear - or at least I prefer the sound of the heavier gear I`ve tried, such as Marshall, Ampeg, Ashdown, Peavey. I just seem to get the sound I`m after better with a heavy as hell cab, coupled with my trusty Ashdown ABM600/Sansamp Para Driver set-up. Even if just using the Para Driver into a full provided rig I`ve preferred the sound when it`s been a bigger, heavier amp to a smaller lightweight Class D one, the only exception being the Ashdown RM500 - that`s a weighty sounding amp for its size.

What I've been saying for years.....

As soon as they invent the hover lift machine which will carry things for you, everybody will be buying Class A/B amps again.....and my plan to take over the world will come to fruition!!!! 

Image result for manic laughter gif

• Haha 3

• 2 months later...

Ended up using the trace rig in favour of the barefaced again for a live recording project, sounded awesome! 

Then in the evening I took the 15 for a gig, (medium sized pub), sounded great, really felt it, drummer preferred it too. Think the little One10's might be appearing in the for sale section soon! 

I too have gone back to the dark side.

From a barefaced SC to a mark bass ported 610.

The 610 is amazing - sound superb, easy to move around at 34kg, has wheels and bar, and i NEVER have to worry that i wont have enough oomph on stage.

I've been lucky enough to resurrect a Trace V4 amp into a new Zilla cabs shell. I had been using a little Warwick LWA500 (1Kg) and now I'm addicted to the weight of the V4 because it sounds amazing... there *is* something about weight, I guess.

That said, I have a 2x10 MarkBass transporter cab which pushes out ridiculous volume for something which weighs 15Kgs. That thing is amazing.

I had a Trace 2x10 cab for many years - even took it to Andorra for a season - and the strongest memory I have of it is getting it from the old Bass Centre in Wapping across to west london where I was parked... on the tube. At least I could sit on it. I thought it would destroy the freaking escalators on the jubilee line... 😀

On 14/05/2018 at 11:47, Sparky Mark said:

I got into lightweight with a pair of Bergantino AE112 cabs which were a breeze to load in and out. I dragged my older heavier HT112ER and EX112ER cabs out from under the stairs to sell them but decided to gig them one last time just to be sure. There was no comparison when it came to the depth and quality of tone the older cabs produced and the AEs were traded soon after. That may have nothing to do with neo or weight but newer isn't always better in my own experience. 

I have a perspective here too - I've been using a Warwick Pro Tube IX (900w solid state with a valve preamp) for years through a pair of Warwick Neo Pro cabs (full 4x10 and 1x15) - great sound and huge power, plus biamp and stereo capabilities etc.

I now have a Trace V4 head and the sound is just amazing. The all-valve gets so much more out of the cabs - it's so lush, with the EQ completely flat: of course it's oranges and apples, but they weigh about the same. The V4 is just that massively weighty all-valve tech with massive transformers.

I think there's something to it. For the cabs I'd wager the weight of the cab itself forms a kind of inertia which the speaker can work against to shift the air, particularly at high volumes.

• Like 1

On 13/05/2018 at 11:32, discreet said:

It's not because it's heavy, it's because it's well-designed and built to last! If I had a more robust scrotum, I'd gig my Trace combo every time, it sounds really killer.

I had the ‘gentleman’s procedure’ done a couple of years back. Recently purchased a Trace head. Forward thinking. 

The reason they sound good and big for their relatively low wattage is the bloody great toroidal transformer and big old smoothing capacitors in the power supply. Bass transients eat current and although the wattage is low the 'heft' comes from the current that gets sucked into the class AB mosfet power stage. You cannot replicate that with even the best switch mode power supply.  Its old technology but its damn near bomb proof and still sounds good today. Yes the cabs are heavy but that's big magnets and strong old ply.

Mine sits sadly in the rehearsal room but its a perfect match for a lovely old Ray. Its a bit like an early 70's Jazz with an Acoustic 370 or maybe a 62P with an Ampeg B15. Its one of those classic sounds. This one is a British Classic and I think people forget that.

• Like 1

Had a TE - AH250 head into an Ampeg 8x10 thru which I put a Fender Jazz 1974 and a Wal Pro 2E. Played this rig for over 15 years - at Home and in Spain. Awesome sound. Wanted to down-size a little but needed to keep the TE sound, and more, if possible. Not many amps or combos' would be able to do that but I have found one.

Bought s/h off the 'Chat' a TC Electronic 2x10  500 watt combo, and i'll tell you, you can replicate any amp or combo sound possible. Yes it's a little heavy and bulky, put some wheels on,  and its worth the effort. I think every one should try this combo. A little old now, but as every one's saying, the old heavy gear is coming back - just like flares took over from drainpipe trousers and now it's all skinny again. Colin Bass from Camel is a Trace' man but have seen him on stage with a TC 2x10 combo. Say's it all, really!

Edited by Pete Turton