Why become a member? ×

Depping advice please

uk_lefty

If it were me I would look at it as it is. You are filling in for a friend that needs your help. The gig is a big deal and they do not want to pass it up. Do your best to keep it constant. Do not try to copy the other bass player exactly but do not try to put to much of your own spin on it. Make your friend proud that he chose you and the other band members will feel the same. Look at it like you are being hired for the night and you do what is best for the band as a bassist. If your friend has confidence in you and you are asking for advice then you are on the right path. Best of luck to you 

• Like 1

I've got quite deep into the whole depping thing over the past 3 years.  I dep regularly for one band and got another 4 that I play from time to time. This actually adds up to a lot of gigs without the need for weekly rehearsals (which I love).  The only thing expected of me is to know the material and be solid - nothing more!. The rest will come together as the rest of the band will be tight and know their stuff. Its actually really simple!

• 5 weeks later...

Did my first and only practice with them last night. Some arrangements are being changed which I'd usually be ok with... But I have found that the drummer, solid as he is, doesn't give me forewarning of changes in the songs! Quite hard to play with him in the sense that he keeps a.solid beat going but he doesn't build in to choruses or whatever. Maybe I'm just too used to my regular drummer! Also, the singer is great, she really does have a fantastic voice, but again she isn't leading the band. I've played the last two years with a singer who will give hand signals to the band to warn us of gaps he wants to put in and things. She is singing her part but not interacting with the band... Guess that's her prerogative though.

Overall I think we will get away with it and few people will notice any ragged edges. I'm just used to getting things tight with my own band and it doesn't feel the same with these guys. But it's one short gig, they're happy with how I was playing and I work well with the guitarist so hopefully it all holds together for the gig!

Edited by uk_lefty