Why become a member? ×

Depping advice please

uk_lefty

In around a month I'm going to dep/ sit in with my guitarists other band. They play a handful of originals and some covers. I've got a CD of five of their originals, the gig will be those five plus a couple of covers I probably have never even heard of. Their bass player is away but it's a big gig they don't want to lose, the guitarist is a good mate so I want to do a good job for him. The thing that concerns me is that his bassist has quite a distinct style, I'll not recreate it, and in some ways don't think I should... But how true to his style should I stay? The songs have simple structure so there could be free reign to play however... I will ask the guitarist what he wants but if he says "do whatever" I don't want to upset the rest of the band by throwing them off. Not sure if I'll get to rehearse with them more than once...

Any advice gratefully received

Your mate has asked you because he knows you're a good player. Unless he specifically said he wants you to mimic their regular bass player's style in some way, he won't expect you to - he wants you to be you. It's quite a compliment to be asked to stand in, especially doing originals.

I assume they've heard you play before? And they still asked you? So they're expecting a bass player that sounds like you. Make them happy and do just that.

I'd never try to play like someone else on any gig. It usually doesn't work and you're more likely to trip yourself up trying to play out of your style. Never mind if it's a big gig for them, it's a big gig for you. Focus on feeling comfortable with the material and you'll be fine.

Get a set list with arrangements and keys. Learn the songs, who counts them in, who ends them, play in time, stop and start with the other guys. . . easy. Don't try to dazzle them with your best uniquely creative lines. Just support the song, the music and the band.

I've always taken the stance that the first bassline written/recorded for a song doesn't make it the 'best' one... who's to say a different player wouldn't have played something that MIGHT have improved the song; we are all that next bass player!  ;)  

40 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Do you think anybody will notice?? You're only the Bass player after all...:facepalm:

Yes ;). I'm twice as tall as the regular bass player and he plays fast thumb triplet type stuff and tapping... But in a tasteful way. I'm pretty much decided I'm going fretless.

Just done my 1st depping job. Had the luxury of 4 months to learn 30 soul tunes and had 5 rehearsals with the band in that time.

The regular bassist plays guitar in other bands mostly and I thought his style was very melodic with some neat fills so big boots to try on for a one off gig. I lived and breathed the material from the off, listening to original recordings and the band's versions of some of the tunes and practising as often as I could (dad of 2 young boys who think 'sleep' is a dirty word).

I played it in my style and the band were very complimentary and surprised at how different a lot of the tunes sounded. I think I added some 'funky' to their soul and they appreciated that. I took a lot of confidence from a job well done too!

My advice would be listen to the songs and learn them inside out. Then give a solid performance that serves the songs, nowt flashy. Oh and make sure you ask what the guys wear on stage, you don't want stand out :facepalm:

This is an interesting thread for me, because I've got 3 dep gigs coming up in August with a Rolling Stones covers band. I did one for them last year which I din't think had gone that well - I made a few howlers. But it can't have been that bad because they've asked me again.

Of course, the set list is just Stones classics which should make it easier. But you never know if they're going to do it exactly as per the recording, even if the key is the same. Longer/shorter introductions, longer (never shorter!) guitar solos, extra sax solos, choruses repeated - all are to be expected. I don't think I'm even going to get a rehearsal with them (I didn't last year). Because they are well-known songs I think they believe I should be able to  just slot in.

I went to see one of their gigs recently - my plan was to sit there and make copious notes about what they were doing, or perhaps record some of it on my phone.  It turned into a really fun event, which was great except that I had a few vinos and became incapable of writing anything sensible and forgot how to use my phone! Hahaha. I'm aiming to go to a couple more of their gigs between now and August though, so won't make the same mistake again.  :-)

I would try and copy their own stuff as close as poss and do your own thing on the covers .Like said often the Bass isn't even noticed to a point.i Dep a lot for one band and its nice when its noticed and complimented

Without hearing what and just how unique the original parts are, and how much of his playing is integral to the songs working, I couldn't say just do this or that.  I mean if he's doing some kind of hitting the strings with a saucepan lid whilst sliding the notes using a frying pan then I'd be inclined to say I'm not gonna get that down in a couple of weeks/months.:biggrin:

If its something like Bernard Edwards unique strumming thing he does on Everybody  Dance or perhaps Bobby Vega using a pick then although I wont do the style exactly, but I will get something as close as possible to the feel. If you can do that then I think every one will be happy. They may even prefer your approach. As long as its played with enthusiasm and confidence and its obvious you know the song its all positive.  I would say though even if you are , for example, the second coming of Jaco, be mindful of how much that suits whats going on.

I'm in a similiar situ at the mo. Been asked to help out on a dep and need to learn 51 60's pop tunes in 7 weeks....their regular guy is competent but then so am I and I'm' different..He's all G&L, rounds, thunder and bark.   I'm all P bass, light touch, flats and boom..

Reckon both styles work and I've a feeling  that so far the band are digging it. In other words just be yourself, do ur own thing and if its well played you'll be fine.

8 hours ago, seashell said:

I went to see one of their gigs recently - my plan was to sit there and make copious notes about what they were doing, or perhaps record some of it on my phone.  It turned into a really fun event, which was great except that I had a few vinos and became incapable of writing anything sensible and forgot how to use my phone! Hahaha. I'm aiming to go to a couple more of their gigs between now and August though, so won't make the same mistake again.  :-)

Tsk, tsk, how unprofessional Shelly :drinks:

• Haha 1

As someone who deps a lot and uses deps quite often I'd advise that having structure and basics nailed is your first priority. If you know that and don't get lost anywhere then you're not going to throw the rest of the band. Once you have that sorted you can look more closely at finer details. Personally I chart songs and then "jazz it" a bit so I don't carbon copy another players bass lines but it is definitely worth listening to what the original player does on original songs and at least try to capture the same feel he or she goes for.

• Like 1

On 13/05/2018 at 20:32, uk_lefty said:

he plays fast thumb triplet type stuff and tapping... But in a tasteful way. I'm pretty much decided I'm going fretless.

In an original band?! I'm intrigued. Any links to some of their stuff? I'd quite like to hear that :)

How much does the bassist's style influence the sound and feel of the band? If the answer is "quite a lot", then I think it would be a good idea to sound as much like him as you can, whilst still being yourself of course  :D

Edited by Conan