Why become a member? ×

Fender Experts - A Quick Question

Linus27

I have a quick question about the Fender Mike Dirnt Precision and pickups that comes with the bass. From what I can tell, the original 51 Precision or later Telecaster bass didnt ever come with the more traditional split Precision pickups. So whats the story behind the pickups on Mike Dirnt's bass as it looks as though the body and neck are from a 51 Bass although the body is contoured. Are the pickups a modification that Mike did to his original bass or was it a custom option from Fender back in the day or is it just a sales gimmick?

If I remember right, the bass was a combination of all the favourite bits from Mike`s P basses. The pickup was a custom (shop?) one by Fender. Great basses but the one I had weighed a ton. Great sound though. 

I think it`s a 54 body shape with 57 style pickup and you couldn`t buy a model like it in the 50`s.

Edited by jezzaboy

Mike Dirnt bass 013-8400 first appeared in 2004. Mike spec'd the bass on a '51 P Bass with an ash, slab body with '55 arm contour and pickguard. It had a really thick, maple "C" shape neck with rosewood fret board and was modelled on MIke's original '69 P Bass. The pickup was a Custom shop '59 P bass and had a BadAss 2 bridge. There were two colour options offered  black or 2-colour Sunburst. 

I bought mine new from Gamblins in Cardiff  in 2004. My Mike Dirnt has enjoyed a few upgrades over the years, it now supports a '72 Tele bass Humbucker Pup, a slim '51 one piece maple neck (from a '51 P Bass reissue CIJ) and a Fender Telecaster guitar control panel with vol & tone and 3 position switch to select the Humbucker/ both/ '59 P Pup.

I'll post some pics shortly.

Hope this hepls!

Edited by JohnDaBass