Why become a member? ×

Ideas for 1979 YOB bass

ianrendall

Next Feb is my 40th. I had the idea of either getting a cheap project 125 Honda bike to fix up or a YOB bass. Obviously, the motorbike idea got nixed, so it’s a ‘79 YOB bass.

I have an idea of what I’d like ideally budgeted around £400. 

A nice Aria perhaps or an Ibanez. Fretless would be nice. Maybe Westone? Something Japanese of quality, Fujigen or Matsumoku IIRC. 

I’m quite a way off from a purchase so just looking for ideas really.

Any thoughts?

Blimey, 39 years ago, that’s when I picked up my first bass, a Jedson shortscale Tele style, closely followed by a Honda Precision with a neck like telegraph pole and an action you could limbo under!

I then upscaled to an Aria SB600, what a difference!

17 hours ago, Sibob said:

For £400? Good luck with that!

For the year and budget, I’d definitely go Peavey T-40.

Si

Oops, that's what happens when you don't read the whole post :-/ I'll get me coat.

• Haha 2

I agree with Grahambythesea
I think an Ibanez Roadster would be a great YOB bass :)

Or could you opt for something like a HondoII - I recently restored one of their P bass copies|
And it was a really nice bass. Good luck with your search - and let us know what you go for

I turn 40 next year. Fortunately I have my yob ( almost) as it was the first bass I ever bought. 

A 1978 music master.

It sounds great, and as it is a short scale it its easy to play.

I've seen them on eBay for 400 and a shop in Nottingham had one for £1000.

As they are much less sought after than a p bass you would have more choice/ chance of getting a £400 one.

I started refurbing it when I was 17, got stuck and left it as a mess until last year when I put some time into respraying it with nitro rattle cans.

You could treat the bass as a project if the bike is off the cards?

1 hour ago, tall_martin said:

I turn 40 next year. Fortunately I have my yob ( almost) as it was the first bass I ever bought. 

A 1978 music master.

It sounds great, and as it is a short scale it its easy to play.

I've seen them on eBay for 400 and a shop in Nottingham had one for £1000.

As they are much less sought after than a p bass you would have more choice/ chance of getting a £400 one.

I started refurbing it when I was 17, got stuck and left it as a mess until last year when I put some time into respraying it with nitro rattle cans.

You could treat the bass as a project if the bike is off the cards?

I bought a new Musicmaster sometime around ‘78, black - cost £99. Should ha e kept it if they are selling for 4 times as much! Sold it for £75 to part fund a ‘73 Precision from a friend for £150. 

I think mine was £100 in 1995.

Thought I had a brilliant instrument at an excellent price- my bass teacher looked at it in horror and sent me to a more reputable shop to have a fret dress. It had had a hard life before me :-) 

One sold for just over £400 recently...

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Musicmaster-bass-guitar/323154998957?hash=item4b3d89f6ad:g:1CwAAOSwC6har5eP#vi__app-cvip-panel

Edited by tall_martin