Why become a member? ×

Electro Music - RIP

Geddys nose

Aye, I heard about that the other day, but I’d called in a few weeks back and it was all looking a bit disheveled so I was saddened but not entirely shocked.

I got my first Markbass head from Dave back when the bass gear was upstairs, and it was a lot easer to get home on the train than a Peavey VB2 that did the same trip!! My arms still hurt thinking about that particular lapse in judgement.

Edited by Ed_S

Such a shame. Electro was where I bought quite a lot of stuff, as did many of the bands in my neck of the woods.

When my band was looking to buy a larger PA, one of their guys drove 90 miles return journey with two rigs in their van for us to demo side by side at our rehearsal rooms. They set both systems up and let us find which one suited us best, which we did. One of those shops that you felt good after buying something from, knowing that you’d got a fair deal and would have chance to return stuff if it didn’t work out right for you. 

Hope John and all his staff are okay , and thanks for being there all those years.

• Like 1

I found some copies of Bassist the other day with the full page ads from Electro in them, I use to dream about them Trace rigs on that page when I was young and skint.

They had a choice of Wals starting from £650 and Ric’s for £450 !!

They had good stocks of Trace stuff, and always had a lot of GK too. Bought my first GK head from there - remember Dave setting it up and telling me to try it with any bass I liked from their massive selection, then leaving me in the upstairs bass dept for an hour to make a racket to my hearts content. Loved the fact that they gave good advice without ever trying to give you the hard sell, which always appealed to me. Always a good crack with the staff, who were very funny and dry without coming over as tw*ts at all, very unusual for music shops at the time.

Edited by casapete
  • Like 1

A real shame, Electro used to be an ace shop, friendly staff, and a gold mine of gorgeous gear. Went regularly when I lived over there, spent a good few quid there over the years too. 

Only got to go there infrequently when we were down there visiting over the last few years, they still had some decent kit in.

Sad day. :(

It is very sad news.  

A great shop with knowledgeable staff where you could get good, unbiased advice and purchase all sorts of new and used gear plus lessons and repairs/mods all in a great environment.

I wish the owners and former staff all the very best for the future.

I do fear for all independent shops like Electro.  Soon all we’ll be left with will be huge sterile showrooms, each carrying massive stocks of the same narrow range of products.

😥

Edited by Deedee