Why become a member? ×

Ampeg news

soopercrip

Excellent news. Yamaha have always made great product with excellent QC. This can only be good for Ampeg....

I wouldn't be surprised to see Billy Sheehan head back to Ampeg now. He plays Yamaha and Line 6 (owned by Yamaha) so would make sense to return to a one stop shop....

Edited by cetera

3 hours ago, LewisK1975 said:

I also now expect Billy Sheehan to be back using Ampegs in the near future!

I emailed Billy after a Mr Big gig in Glasgow a few years ago to find out why he was using Hartke instead of Ampeg . This must have been shortly after he switched. He told me at the time that although he loved the SVTs he really didn't like the 'made in japan' tag and didn't think they were to the same quality as made in the USA.  This surprised me a bit till I started following his facebook posts - he's a republican and very firmly in the pro-trump camp and his political posts reflect this. Shame as he comes across as a really nice guy in person and when he's communicating one to one. 

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, jacko said:

I emailed Billy after a Mr Big gig in Glasgow a few years ago to find out why he was using Hartke instead of Ampeg . This must have been shortly after he switched. He told me at the time that although he loved the SVTs he really didn't like the 'made in japan' tag and didn't think they were to the same quality as made in the USA.  This surprised me a bit till I started following his facebook posts - he's a republican and very firmly in the pro-trump camp and his political posts reflect this. Shame as he comes across as a really nice guy in person and when he's communicating one to one. 

Yeah - I unfollowed him when he started with the "It's a great day for FREEDOM" bullhonky.

Funny about the Japan thing - considering he's had far more sales there than any other place. - and that the Hartke kit is all made in China!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fretmeister said:

...and that the Hartke kit is all made in China!

Beat me to it!  Also the Attitude Bass is made in Japan.

I always thought his original decision to stop using Ampeg was due to him observing quality issues with them after production moved to the far east.

He's certainly very friendly and helpful on the Facebook page dedicated to the Attitude Bass.

As well as his political views, I've never been sure what to make of the scientology thing either.  I've always been a kind of 'each to their own' type of person.  Although I can feel that changing as I get older......

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LewisK1975 said:

I always thought his original decision to stop using Ampeg was due to him observing quality issues with them after production moved to the far east.

Several other players left Ampeg at the same time, Victor and Will Lee among them. Reasons of a decline in artist support were cited. This is the biggest factor in endorsement deals.

20 minutes ago, arthurhenry said:

Several other players left Ampeg at the same time, Victor and Will Lee among them. Reasons of a decline in artist support were cited. This is the biggest factor in endorsement deals.

I like your avatar!

• Like 1

For me, the big question is whether Yamaha is going to revive Ampeg as a prestige brand manufactured primarily in the USA.I certainly hope so. 

I bought an Ampeg SCR preamp a while back and, contrary to the marketing hype, it was an extremely disappointing product, as far as I was concerned. I'm sure that Yamaha will improve the standard of Ampeg gear, I just hope they make quality their priority rather than affordability. I don't want cheap gear with an Ampeg logo on it, I want proper Ampeg even if it costs a lot of money.

I see this as positive news. Yamaha have a track record for delivering quality products. This isn’t a Gibson buying Trace Elliot situation (or Gibson buying anything frankly).

My prediction is that the US Heritage line is kept as is and the construction of the non US SVT line is vastly improved.

• Like 1