Why become a member? ×

Songs you absolutely hate

lozkerr

Bohemian bloody Rhapsody, I hated it the first time I heard it in 75 , then when it was number one again in 91. I guess I'll have to suffer it again as its the title of the forthcoming Queen bio-pic.

Never understood why this load of drivel has such an appeal to people. 

15 hours ago, matski said:

Can’t believe that no one has mentioned the abomination that is Cotton Eyed Joe yet...

That's because I've been trying to forget it. And succeeding. Up until 3 minutes ago. :(

10 hours ago, Buzzy said:

Bohemian bloody Rhapsody, I hated it the first time I heard it in 75 , then when it was number one again in 91. I guess I'll have to suffer it again as its the title of the forthcoming Queen bio-pic.

Never understood why this load of drivel has such an appeal to people. 

the world is full of songs that are amazingly popular for no apparent reason (to some people), Stairway to Heaven anybody?

6 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

the world is full of songs that are amazingly popular for no apparent reason (to some people), Stairway to Heaven anybody?

I'm a big LZ fan, and never understood the Stairway fascination.  That bombastic live version by Heart that did the rounds a while ago is properly hideous.

On 5/10/2018 at 23:20, musicbassman said:

Most big power ballads. False sincerity, pomposity, masses of musical cliches.......................I'm your lady"..............................Aaaaaaaaargh.........................................

Agreed with the above,and some of my other most hated have been had 

Livin on a prayer , Wonderwall

but i dont think i've seen that utterly shite Micheal Jackson tune where he had the 'god complex'

I usually don't join in "hate" threads. . . . but after a long time resisting. . . .  I'm going to have to mention Grandad by Clive Dunn. I understand why they made it, it was the day job, but I see no redeeming features in that record at all.

3 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I usually don't join in "hate" threads. . . . but after a long time resisting. . . .  I'm going to have to mention Grandad by Clive Dunn. I understand why they made it, it was the day job, but I see no redeeming features in that record at all.

I don't think you'll find anybody arguing with you on that one, but which is worse Grandad or Grandma by St Winifred's School Choir?

24 minutes ago, chris_b said:

How very dare you! That was written by the God of bass Herbie Flowers!! :angry2:

But you are right. xD

On 17/05/2018 at 09:40, Japhet said:

Yes. Like I said, not a dreadful song but I've played it for years and am utterly sick of it. There are so many other SRV songs that are better as well.

I've yet to play with a drummer outside of Texas that can nail it. Most bass players play it wrong as well

Hahahaaa...I play a lot of these songs, and though I wouldn't listen to them at home, I enjoy playing music to singing, revelling crowds who are enjoying themselves, and that elevates the song every time. Like it or not, Oasis are the anthemic band for a generation (or more). I see it every weekend :D

On 17/05/2018 at 09:40, Japhet said:

Yes. Like I said, not a dreadful song but I've played it for years and am utterly sick of it. There are so many other SRV songs that are better as well.

Used to play Tightrope by SVR in a previous band, cracking song with a great bass line.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 23:20, musicbassman said:

Most big power ballads. False sincerity, pomposity, masses of musical cliches...........................and punters love 'em!

Special smelliest dogpoo award in this category goes to 'The Power of Love'  - I remember playing this with several cover bands and wishing my life could end at that very moment the chorus started..............

"Cause I'm your lady"..............................Aaaaaaaaargh.........................................

Ah, you utter b*****d.  I'd almost completely blanked out The Power of Love from my memory until I read this.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Akio Dāku said:

Teenage Kicks by the Undertones... It's totally trauma inducing for me, I have to leave the room if I'm in ear shot. 😲

I would always try to give John Peel the benefit of the doubt with his myriad and eclectic discoveries, but what he saw in that song baffles me to this day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Akio Dāku said:

Teenage Kicks by the Undertones... It's totally trauma inducing for me, I have to leave the room if I'm in ear shot. 😲

Yeh - not a fan on that. DId one gig with the last group that did that. Opened with it, as always. Group after us, opened with it. Group after them. Opened with it.

To be fair, if we had been the second or third group we wouldn't have done it if the first group had.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

Whether you like Oasis or not, they did at least wake up countless people to the existence of rock music. 

True, they had to quickly run out and buy a rock music record to cover the dreary wailing noise, good point

• Haha 2