Why become a member? ×

Songs you absolutely hate

lozkerr

I agree that just about any of the songs listed can be a bore or a suffer to get through

To me though, if the crowd likes it and I can just play in auto-pilot mode then I will do it

But don't ask to practice these!!!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, thepurpleblob said:

Just remembered... Sit Down by James. Of course the bloody punters love it every time. Good grief, I can't stand playing to the proletariat :-D :-D

I like to hear it but probably couldn’t name a worse song to play as a bass player to be fair. I think their bass player must have been ill and only a one fingered monkey was available as a replacement.

Rehearsed last week without our rhythm g/keyboardist, so we weren’t trying too seriously.  Jammed Brown Eyed Girl as we know he hates that song, but it worked very well.

Texted him to say we wanted to work on it at today’s session, his reply?  "I think I will have a migraine come on this afternoon".  Hope he was joking.

Edited by Baxlin
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Baxlin said:

Texted him to say we wanted to work on it at today’s session, his reply?  "I think I will have a migraine come on this afternoon".  Hope he was joking.

Why? Seems reasonable to me. If I have told my group I really don’t want to do a song and they still insist on doing it, it clearly demonstrates what they think about my opinions. 

On the other hand I love doing brown eyed girl. Not the van Morison version obviously, the ska version

35 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Why? Seems reasonable to me. If I have told my group I really don’t want to do a song and they still insist on doing it, it clearly demonstrates what they think about my opinions. 

Good point, taken on board.  However, we are all retired, jamming for fun, so the text and his reply were a tad tongue in cheek, as we all have songs we are not fond of, and rib each other about them.

Songs I really dislike?

Dire Straits - Walk of Life

Cher - Believe (one of the worst songs I've ever heard)

Pretty much anything from the old Stock Aitken and Waterman stable in the late 80s.

Fortunately I've never been asked to play any of those songs.

In terms of songs I've had to play thru gritted teeth, anything by Oasis (I particularly hate Wonderwall and Cigarettes and Alcohol). But drunken punters go mad for it, and my previous guitar player loved them. No thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

(I particularly hate Wonderwall and Cigarettes and Alcohol). But drunken punters go mad for it, and my previous guitar player loved them. No thanks.

Ah good, another Caterwaul hater. I like Cigarettes and Alcohol, though! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lozkerr said:

Ah good, another Caterwaul hater. I like Cigarettes and Alcohol, though! 

My main beef with Oasis i think is that I never listened to them the first time round, so my only experience of them is being outdated, simplistic, pub rock chaff played to drunk people.

1 hour ago, bassbiscuits said:

My main beef with Oasis i think is that I never listened to them the first time round, so my only experience of them is being outdated, simplistic, pub rock chaff played to drunk people.

Same here - the meeja hype surrounding them put me off them, and when Caterwaul was unleashed, I just did not get why people raved about it. I was deffo in the Pulp camp at the time. It wasn't until a few years later that I listened to Oasis' other songs properly and realised they were pretty good. 

You're right - they are simplistic anthems, but they're popular with the punters. I find them quite fun to play too - Caterwaul excepted, naturally! 

I may have over-egged this slightly - i don't spend enough time thinking about Oasis to absolutely hate them or their songs!

But I'm not remotely interested in them and go out of my way in my current gigs not to play any Oasis, ever, under any circumstances. There are plenty of other great songs to choose from, and I prefer to do stuff that hasn't already been done to death.

By the same token, you can go and hear Wonderwall played by any busker anywhere in the UK - so you don't need me to play it as well.

Edited by bassbiscuits

I can't stand Oasis. Any time it is on radio or a tv ad or whatever it's straight off.

The level down from that is a host of songs or bands I don't enjoy but would put up with playing for a gig - e.g. With or Without You (although there's plenty of U2 I do like.), anything remotely ballady in fact. Gah.

I would also, from the perspective of being extremely self-conscious and awkward, hate to perform anything with something approaching a bass solo, even a little fill would do me in. *twitch*

Punters - bah!

2 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

Well I may be the only one of here by the looks of things, but I enjoy playing Wonderwall on my acoustic at open mics.

Simplistic, familiar anthems, now I know why Oasis were so popular

...and fair play to you, if it works and its what people want to hear, then go for it.

I spent an awful lot of time playing Wonderwall in my previous band (ie every single gig we did) and so I'm glad to get a complete break from it.

I'm sure there's other stuff i play that features on the cheesy songs list to, so i'm certainly no authority!

On 11/05/2018 at 10:35, Steve Browning said:

It's Christmas Eve 1978. I am playing at Portsmouth Radical Club with a jazz/dance quartet. We launch into the Birdies Song and, about halfway through, there is someone waving at the other end of the dance floor. It becomes apparent there is someone lying on the floor. The drummer at this gig is a first aider and goes over and the floor clears. An ambulance arrives quickly and they spend a good 40 minutes working on the guy before they put him into a chair and wheel him out, he looks grey.

The drummer returns and I say to him "you managed to get him back then" to which he replies "no, he was dead but they didn't want to cause a panic".

Turns out the chap had had open heart surgery and been told to either take it easy and live a bit longer or just carry on and face th possibility of a major heart attack. He chose the latter. We played The Queen (as you did back then) and we packed up.

So, I have killed and got away scot-free!!

How ironic would it have been if you had been playing “Achey Breaky Heart”?

• Haha 1