Why become a member? ×

Songs you absolutely hate

lozkerr

On 11/05/2018 at 19:03, Reggaebass said:

Anything by will young    I just have to turn it off 

Yeah....Me too.

That awful weedy, warbling vibrato, Nanny Goat voice makes me cringe.

He sounds like one of those Swiss Mountain Goats.

Sweet Child o' Mine

I bought the Appetite for Destruction album when it first came out never having heard the band before. On first listen through I quite liked the album but commented to my girlfriend that I really didn't like that one song. The opening riff instantly irritated me. I can't believe that over 30 years later I still hear the song on a seemingly weekly basis - radio, TV, live bands...  I can't get away from it!!

Honourable mention to Blue Monday as well. 

There are also plenty of previously mentioned songs that I used to like but can't listen to anymore through over exposure. Often they are ones I have had to play live for years - eg Sweet Home Alabama, Alright Now etc etc

• Like 1

On 5/11/2018 at 10:08, chris_b said:

That was me, and I did play it twice in a row for the jammers. True, I don't like it (even the Hendrix version is pretty poor) but I've done much worse, like Spanish Eyes etc in working men's clubs. Well, the Guinness was cheap and I earned enough to buy rather a lot of it!

I'll try anything but I will try to avoid songs that the guys in the band obviously can't play. The only thing I'll refuse to play is something that will make us look silly on stage. I play with guys all the time who refuse to play songs, sometimes for some pretty silly reasons and in some cases they choose songs which they shouldn't. The better players make better choices, so I try and stick with them.

In one band I wanted to veto Tainted Love by Soft Cell. I was asked to give it one go and the audience reaction said it all. It is an instant floor filler and sing along, so as that was our job in the cover band the song was in the set. Lesson learnt. You may not like every song but if the audience does you're doing the best job you can. 

Your last paragraph sums it up really well, Chris. Most venues hire covers bands to entertain the  audience so they'll stay in the venue and keep drinking. It's really that simple.

The trick I guess is to find a covers band that plays to roughly the same level that you do, where you enjoy the company of your fellow band members, and where the set list follows the 80/20 rule, i.e. you like and enjoy playing about 80% of the set list.

Having said that - and putting all reasonableness aside - I will take extreme (and violent measures if necessary 😁) to veto any attempt to cover Jamiroquai- crap tunes by any band I play in.

I had to endure some of the Eurovision. Wall to wall, ceiling to floor dreck. Worse though were the fookin irritating presenters  and the 'entertainment' between the songs.  Not a good advert for Portugal.

+ 1 x 1,000 for Sweet Child of Mine. The p**s easy guitar riff is often cited as one of the greats. Then again so is the guitar newbie/entry level  Smoke On The Water

+ 1 for Whisky in the jar, esp the Thin Lizzy version. 

Neil young , just everything , durges, lyrically either abysmal or far to clever for me, my heckles are just busting to rise on the very mention of his name.

The f***ing house of the f***ing rising f***ing sun ....aaaaarrrrgggghhh

American pie , I am happy to eat a bit of it but I just can't bear hearing it 

Edited by lurksalot
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, adi77 said:

while my guitar gently weeps (shudder)

That's the one song where I get to totally unleash my fretless slide bass - love playing it the rare times I get the chance.

Never listen to the original though!

This thread is sort of mixing up "hate to play" with "hate to listen to"...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Hobbayne said:

Hey Jude. Boring, boring, boring, bo,...  zzzz. -_-

sort of with you on that, but I think it's the way overly long ending that's the trouble with it, if it faded after 3.30 minutes it would have been ok ish, must have been the drugs.

Sting is also guilty of over extending endings as well

Guest adi77
13 hours ago, josie said:

That's the one song where I get to totally unleash my fretless slide bass - love playing it the rare times I get the chance.

Never listen to the original though!

This thread is sort of mixing up "hate to play" with "hate to listen to"...

cool :)

i hate listening to it and playing it, there's not one thing about that song that i like 

Edited by adi77

11 hours ago, Krysbass said:

Any song originally sung by Morrissey.

Anything else I can live with.

ha ha, there's a challenge here., though I agree  Morrissey is extremely irksome in both voice and manner.

For me even more irritating is Craig David., his over-chiselled facial hair and his contribution to this tripe

• Like 1