Why become a member? ×

Songs you absolutely hate

lozkerr

11 hours ago, musicbassman said:

Most big power ballads. False sincerity, pomposity, masses of musical cliches...........................and punters love 'em!

Special smelliest dogpoo award in this category goes to 'The Power of Love'  - I remember playing this with several cover bands and wishing my life could end at that very moment the chorus started..............

"Cause I'm your lady"..............................Aaaaaaaaargh.........................................

I, too, hate power ballads. But the thing that irks me most about this particular one is that, if I hear the bandleader announce it or see it on the setlist, I always get my hopes up that they might play some Huey Lewis. And every time, I am disappointed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Songs I do not like playing include  'Rockin In The Free World' and 'Zombie'.  There's probably more but they are massively out-numbered by songs that I do enjoy playing - including 'Alright Now' and 'Mustang Sally'.

There's only one song that i refuse to play, and I will leave the room if I hear it and that is ....... 'American Pie' by Don McClean.

Chris

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, chris_b said:

In one band I wanted to veto Tainted Love by Soft Cell. I was asked to give it one go and the audience reaction said it all. It is an instant floor filler and sing along, so as that was our job in the cover band the song was in the set. Lesson learnt. You may not like every song but if the audience does you're doing the best job you can. 

Yes, I absolutely get that; you need to please the punters and that means floor-fillers. I like a lot of Oasis' songs; I'm currently annoying the neighbours by hacking my way through Don't Talk Back You wombler  Don't Look Back In Anger, Cigarettes and Alcohol, Little By Little and Champagne Supernova. Nice simple songalongs and easy for a hamfisted old bat like me to play.

But Wonderwall - that song gives me the dry boak no matter who's singing it. It might not be an absolute deal breaker for me but it's pretty damn close.

10 hours ago, josie said:

"Fairy Tale of New York". My first ever sort-of-band (just some mates who get together after work now and then over several bottles of wine when we know no-one can hear us) love it - somehow at that point in the evening I always need 10 minutes in the loo :-) 

Aye, that's not exactly a favourite of mine either, probably because it gets played to death between October and January every year. My kids like it though, if only because 'it's got SWEARS in it!' in spite of the twee subject.

Mind you, are there any Christmas songs that aren't festering Gorgonzola cheese?

1 hour ago, Steve Browning said:

It's Christmas Eve 1978. I am playing at Portsmouth Radical Club with a jazz/dance quartet. We launch into the Birdies Song and, about halfway through, there is someone waving at the other end of the dance floor. It becomes apparent there is someone lying on the floor. The drummer at this gig is a first aider and goes over and the floor clears. An ambulance arrives quickly and they spend a good 40 minutes working on the guy before they put him into a chair and wheel him out, he looks grey.

The drummer returns and I say to him "you managed to get him back then" to which he replies "no, he was dead but they didn't want to cause a panic".

Turns out the chap had had open heart surgery and been told to either take it easy and live a bit longer or just carry on and face th possibility of a major heart attack. He chose the latter. We played The Queen (as you did back then) and we packed up.

So, I have killed and got away scot-free!!

And that story has to top all others. Handled very well by the drummer tho. xD

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

I, too, hate power ballads. But the thing that irks me most about this particular one is that, if I hear the bandleader announce it or see it on the setlist, I always get my hopes up that they might play some Huey Lewis. And every time, I am disappointed.

+2 here for hatred of power ballads, the worst offenders being those performed by metal bands in a desperate attempt to get their first top 10 single. The real cynical part of this is they usually hired professional songwriters to do the dirty business of writing the actual pish.

20 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

+2 here for hatred of power ballads, the worst offenders being those performed by metal bands in a desperate attempt to get their first top 10 single. The real cynical part of this is they usually hired professional songwriters to do the dirty business of writing the actual pish.

works though doesn't it? and if it gets more people into their proper stuff do the ends justify the means?

Edited by PaulWarning

17 minutes ago, AScheck9 said:

Green day-  good riddance (time of your life)

In my band there is even an opportunity for 12 bars of bass solo.... and it's so dull I can't muster any enthusiasm to be creative. It's roots and fifths all the way. 

you could always bugger off to the bar and leave the bass part to the acoustic guitar like it should be

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulWarning said:

works though doesn't it? and if it gets more people into their proper stuff do the ends justify the means?

And that's exactly my point. The likes of Poison hadn't had major hits with their regular metal stuff, saw that other rock bands had broken into the top 10 with slushy power ballads and hey presto. As I said, cynical.

Guest adi77
5 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

THIS

this is the worst thing ever in this universe and all parallel universes must say extremely proudly that i hated it right from infancy 

Songs I hate playing: Seven Nation Army. We play it because it goes down well and people sing along to the riff, but jeez am I sick of the brain dead piece of 💩 that it is.

Songs I just hate: Dancing in the Moonlight by Toploader. I hate it and it’s phony geezer Jamie Oliver associations, and I hate the fact that they even sampled the original instead of doing a pure cover.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, adi77 said:

this is the worst thing ever in this universe and all parallel universes must say extremely proudly that i hated it right from infancy 

hmm, disagree with you there., I've never had a problem with deliberately cheesy novelty tunes only those that are meant to be treated as proper songs but happen to be total gash. Birdie Song or something by Radiohead? The yellow feathered critter wins everytime

+2 for Mr Brightside. Bluddy awful band at that

Edited by Barking Spiders

Guest adi77
6 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

hmm, disagree with you there., I've never had a problem with deliberately cheesy novelty tunes only those that are meant to be treated as proper songs but happen to be total gash. Birdie Song or something by Radiohead? The yellow feathered critter wins everytime

+2 for Mr Brightside. Bluddy awful band at that

thats cool, ill hate that song no matter what, it sucks more than most bollywood songs

On 10/05/2018 at 23:24, PaulWarning said:

Mull of Kintyre, fortunately one song I've never heard anybody else attempt (though no doubt someone will now post a youtube link of a cover version).

Last year in a moment of madness I bought a season ticket for the first time in about 20 years, for football team I support, Forest (I know, I know, but my Dad started taking me when I was about 8), won't be doing that again, they play this bloody song twice a game, at the start of each half so the crowd can sing their own lyrics to it (mist rolling in from the Trent etc) hate it hate it. The most twee song McCartney ever wrote, from the master of twee songs.

Reminds me of my younger days in the Trent End 😆