Why become a member? ×

Songs you absolutely hate

lozkerr

6 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

don't really understand this hatred for all Oasis output (or any all encompassing dislike of all of a major artist's output), is it the songs that people despise or the Gallagher brothers?, I thought they made some pretty solid rock songs, nothing particularly groundbreaking, but pleasant enough, there's a lot worse out there, IMO obviously.

The songs. The absolutely blandness and whineyness of the songs - the voice just penetrates everything like chalk down a blackboard, and it is hard to separate from the covers. The generic dullness of a bunch of chords in the 'how did that get so big when it is so ordinary'. The groups of drunk blokes badly singing along to the songs. The 'there are a million better songs in the world, why on earth would you want to do that?' of them.

Pretty well everything.

I am not saying I am a fan of the gallagher brothers, but I am not one that lets my views on an artist affect my view on the music, or there would be loads of music I wouldn't listen to.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Japhet said:

Has to be Sweet Home Alabama for me. Music for toothless inbred rednecks.

Along with Alright Now. Actually decent songs, but ruined by excessive radio play, film/advert use and butchered by bad pub bands. Oh, and anything by The Doors.

I particularly dislike playing Are you Gonna Go My Way by Lenny Kravitz - the song structure is basically dull, dull, dull, freeform, dull.

On a similar note Alright Now.  Structure Nothing, nothing, do a bit, nothing, do a bit.

33 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

'how did that get so big when it is so ordinary'. 

I suspect this is the reason  some folk hate all the output of a successful artist, I have the same feelings for Ed Sheeran for instance, but when I actually sit down and think about it, there's nothing wrong with the songs (nothing special either) it's just I don't understand how he's got so popular   

I don't hate anything.  There is stuff that I will choose not to listen to personally but then a lot of the tunes mentioned so far have sold millions of copies so clearly popular in some quarters.  For me it's about the lyrics or some particularly interesting part of the playing irrespective of genre.

There are definitely things in our sets that I like less than others but then the band is a democracy in the truest sense and everyone has their "suck it up" songs.  I think it's true to say that the one songs we all feel fairly ambivalent about is almost certainly the most popoular in a pub on a Saturday night, so what do we know about anything :$

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

I suspect this is the reason  some folk hate all the output of a successful artist, I have the same feelings for Ed Sheeran for instance, but when I actually sit down and think about it, there's nothing wrong with the songs (nothing special either) it's just I don't understand how he's got so popular   

I have the same thoughts about Coldplay and Bryan Adams

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

Please tell again.....

It's Christmas Eve 1978. I am playing at Portsmouth Radical Club with a jazz/dance quartet. We launch into the Birdies Song and, about halfway through, there is someone waving at the other end of the dance floor. It becomes apparent there is someone lying on the floor. The drummer at this gig is a first aider and goes over and the floor clears. An ambulance arrives quickly and they spend a good 40 minutes working on the guy before they put him into a chair and wheel him out, he looks grey.

The drummer returns and I say to him "you managed to get him back then" to which he replies "no, he was dead but they didn't want to cause a panic".

Turns out the chap had had open heart surgery and been told to either take it easy and live a bit longer or just carry on and face th possibility of a major heart attack. He chose the latter. We played The Queen (as you did back then) and we packed up.

So, I have killed and got away scot-free!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

10 hours ago, ambient said:

Songs, I have whole genres.

I  abhor entire musical output from whole decades or generations but included among thousands of songs  that have me diving for the off button every time are  I dont wanna miss a thing,  Crazy crazy nights,  Living on a prayer, Give it away,  Start me up, I can't get you out of my head (Kylie), Poker face (Gaga), Wonderwall and  Walls come tumbling down (Style Council)

Hate songs?  No.  I might hate particular renditions of songs,  like a drunk girl who can't sing doing  "Me and Bobbi McGee" ,  but it's not the song's fault.  It's a great song when Kristofferson does the original.  Any song can be made better.  Take "Sugar,  Sugar" by the Archies.  I don't like it,  but listen to Wilson Pickitt's version.  He transforms the song.  A guy I played with once told me,  you might not like playing a particular song,  but you're being payed a dollar to play it.  Actually,  about 2.50,  40 songs a night- 100 bucks a gig.  It's a job,  I'm a pro......okay,  semi-pro but I conduct myself like a pro.  I'm there to make money so I can buy more cool gear.

• Like 1

Pretty much anything by Elvis.

Freebird.

Layla.

Dance The Night Away (Mavericks). I exercised my total veto on this one in a band some years ago. The frontman wanted to do it, I refused -- told him that I would take off my bass and go to the bar if we gigged it. It became something of a 'frank exchange of views', but in the end he could tell I was 100% serious and quietly dropped the idea.

Actually, said frontman was a bit of a knob all round... among his other great ideas were a} trying to charge the band a 'finder's fee' for a gig we were offered via his wife, and b} trying to charge the band a hire fee for gig use of the vocal PA that only he and the b.vox singer used... but those are probably for a whole other thread.

EDIT: just to add 'Rule The World' by Take That. It's a good song, very well crafted, nothing against it musically, but I associate it with a tragic time in my life and as such I just can't hear it. It reduces me to a blubbing wreck.

Edited by Rich

1 hour ago, PaulWarning said:

don't really understand this hatred for all Oasis output (or any all encompassing dislike of all of a major artist's output), is it the songs that people despise or the Gallagher brothers?, I thought they made some pretty solid rock songs, nothing particularly groundbreaking, but pleasant enough, there's a lot worse out there, IMO obviously.

I agree. I can't stand Liam Gallagher - in fact I use an Oasis songbook as a rest when I'm writing basslines, just for the satisfaction of poking the arrogant git in the eye with my pencil - but apart from Wonderwall, which I absolutely detest, a lot of their songs are nice punchy anthems. They're certainly very simple, but they do work, even if they were nicked from Marc Bolan and the Beatles.

Anyway, here's a wee clip for all Oasis haters:

Oaday!

32 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

I suspect this is the reason  some folk hate all the output of a successful artist, I have the same feelings for Ed Sheeran for instance, but when I actually sit down and think about it, there's nothing wrong with the songs 

But with oasis, there really is. I get what you are saying but that is a minor point, I have nothing against, say, u2, I find their stuff uninteresting and overplayed, but fundamentally there isn’t anything wrong with it. But oasis, yes it is overplayed and overhyped but underneath that is that horrible whingeing voice doing those dull songs dumbed down for people that just want to shout a line to a juke box on a Saturday and think it’s singing

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"The One And Only" by Chesney Hawkes.

Mostly because my wife loves it for nostalgic reasons and so it features in our lives from time to time, meaning I can never truly escape it. Like my own nightmarish version of M. R. James' Whistle And I'll Come To You

Oh and 'Frog Song' by Paul McCartney. What a travesty.

I kept shouting that at him from the front row, whilst very drunk, during breaks between songs of his Glastonbury performance (can't remember when...), until I nearly got my head kicked in by some of his more militant fans. Ah, happy days :)

Edited by Skol303
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

But with oasis, there really is. I get what you are saying but that is a minor point, I have nothing against, say, u2, I find their stuff uninteresting and overplayed, but fundamentally there isn’t anything wrong with it. But oasis, yes it is overplayed and overhyped but underneath that is that horrible whingeing voice doing those dull songs dumbed down for people that just want to shout a line to a juke box on a Saturday and think it’s singing

so it's actually Liams whinny vocal delivery that gets on your tits, the world is full of dumbed down songs that drunken people love singing along to, I'd be surprised if most of us haven't been there

edit, I have the same problem with Guns and Roses, Axel's voice is like fingernails down a blackboard to me, and when drunks try and sing along to their songs it's even worse, most of them can't get high enough

Edited by PaulWarning
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, lozkerr said:

. . . .  someone there said they hated Red House. Fairy nuff, it's not everyone's cup of tea. I could live with playing it, but if someone wanted to perform Sherry or Wonderwall, they'd have to do so without a bassline  . . .

That was me, and I did play it twice in a row for the jammers. True, I don't like it (even the Hendrix version is pretty poor) but I've done much worse, like Spanish Eyes etc in working men's clubs. Well, the Guinness was cheap and I earned enough to buy rather a lot of it!

I'll try anything but I will try to avoid songs that the guys in the band obviously can't play. The only thing I'll refuse to play is something that will make us look silly on stage. I play with guys all the time who refuse to play songs, sometimes for some pretty silly reasons and in some cases they choose songs which they shouldn't. The better players make better choices, so I try and stick with them.

In one band I wanted to veto Tainted Love by Soft Cell. I was asked to give it one go and the audience reaction said it all. It is an instant floor filler and sing along, so as that was our job in the cover band the song was in the set. Lesson learnt. You may not like every song but if the audience does you're doing the best job you can. 

Edited by chris_b

16 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

The hatred that many have for Oasis is based on unwaranted arrogance, chippiness & a snarky attitude when in fact the Gallaghers had /have little going for them. Oasis songs are derivative and simplistic singalongs for football crowds while LG is a one trick pony with a nasal snarl of a voice.

11 hours ago, ambient said:

Songs, I have whole genres.

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

the world is full of dumbed down songs that drunken people love singing along to.

You've just described my cover band's set list! When the whole pub is singing along with you, somehow even the worst drunk anthem doesn't seem too bad. The one song, however that I left a function band for was 'Build Me Up Bloody Buttercup' - for some reason I just couldn't face ever playing it again.

• Like 1