Why become a member? ×

Songs you absolutely hate

lozkerr

The cliquey jam nights thread got me thinking - someone there said they hated Red House. Fairy nuff, it's not everyone's cup of tea. I could live with playing it, but if someone wanted to perform Sherry or Wonderwall, they'd have to do so without a bassline if I was in the band. I can live with just about anything, but I really hate those two 'musical' monstrosities.

What songs do other folk have on their personal blacklists? 

Take your pick..

extreme malice and bitterness shown in someone's attitudes, speech, or actions.
"his voice was full of venom"
synonyms: rancour, malevolence, vitriol, spite, spitefulness, vindictiveness, malice, maliciousness, malignity, malignancy, viciousness, nastiness, ill will, ill feeling, animosity, animus, acrimony, acrimoniousness, bitterness, embitterment, embitteredness, sourness, resentment, grudgingness, virulence, antagonism, hostility, bad blood, bile, spleen, gall, enmity, hate, hatred, dislike, antipathy, aversion; 

Most big power ballads. False sincerity, pomposity, masses of musical cliches...........................and punters love 'em!

Special smelliest dogpoo award in this category goes to 'The Power of Love'  - I remember playing this with several cover bands and wishing my life could end at that very moment the chorus started..............

"Cause I'm your lady"..............................Aaaaaaaaargh.........................................

• Like 4

Mull of Kintyre, fortunately one song I've never heard anybody else attempt (though no doubt someone will now post a youtube link of a cover version).

Last year in a moment of madness I bought a season ticket for the first time in about 20 years, for football team I support, Forest (I know, I know, but my Dad started taking me when I was about 8), won't be doing that again, they play this bloody song twice a game, at the start of each half so the crowd can sing their own lyrics to it (mist rolling in from the Trent etc) hate it hate it. The most twee song McCartney ever wrote, from the master of twee songs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Yes, anything by Oasis I have banned from my band. in general they don't listen to me and have tried many times to sneak an oasis song in but I have put it in simple terms, I will not be on stage if Oasis is being played.

I hate I get knocked down, which is a shame as that is in our set list. 

A lot of blues I would be happy to not play.

• Like 1

"Fairy Tale of New York". My first ever sort-of-band (just some mates who get together after work now and then over several bottles of wine when we know no-one can hear us) love it - somehow at that point in the evening I always need 10 minutes in the loo :-) 

• Haha 1

Zombies by the Cranberries
I depped for a wedding band a couple of years back, bar a couple of songs I was pretty bored for most of the evening but that song just ground my gears (apparently a favourite of the bride and members of a rugby club who were there in force), at least the singer didn't attempt to mimic the original vocal delivery that I'd grown to loath while learning the song.

Edited by Dom in Somerset
  • Like 1

Pretty much any contemporary pop. It has zero artistry to it, and it's always either some castrated sounding male singer crying over some woman, or toxic grrl power Miley Cyrus crap convincing today's young women that being a smartphone addicted airhead with an attitude problem is something to aspire to. It's less music, more cultural engineering.

Aside from that I'll listen to pretty much anything as long as it's real. Except Coldplay. And Radiohead.

• Like 1

don't really understand this hatred for all Oasis output (or any all encompassing dislike of all of a major artist's output), is it the songs that people despise or the Gallagher brothers?, I thought they made some pretty solid rock songs, nothing particularly groundbreaking, but pleasant enough, there's a lot worse out there, IMO obviously.

• Like 3