Why become a member? ×

Where is the best place in your opinion to live and work as a Musician in the Uk ?

frannie01

3 minutes ago, lozkerr said:

That's no far off the truth - you can earn ridiculous money during the festival and Hogmanay if you let your place out.

I know some folk who had a big old 5 bed tenement on Castle Street - they let it out to students for 11 months and festival for one month - they made twice as much in one month as the other 11

• Like 1

22 hours ago, frannie01 said:

Hi yes Iv'e briefly looked that way but will investigate further! there were some lovely cheapish places on the "borders" but wondered if it was comutable to Edinburgh.Thanks so much for your comments,ya never know I may end up moving there so we could hopefully say" Hi"

If people want a cheap alternative to the expensive house/rental prices of Edinburgh, they usually pick Fife. The towns, on the Fife shore of the Firth of Forth, are all within commuting distance of Edinburgh. You would then have access to gigs/teaching opportunities within Fife, as well as Edinburgh.

2 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

Halifax - super cheap and easy distance from Leeds, Manchester and at a push Sheffield
Hebdon Bridge if you've a bit more money and want people to *know* you're a musician...

The trouble with Halifax (like neighbouring Bradford where I live) is that there is loads of musicians but relatively few gigs. I would say that you would be better living in Manchester or Sheffield if you want to establish yourself there. There is still a big audience for live music in Manchester and Sheffield, but not so much in Leeds. The north-east is certainly worth considering - they love their live music up there! 

Hebden Bridge is a nice place to live (if you can avoid living on the the flood plains) but not especially great for a musician, apart from one great club venue in the centre of the town. 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

Manchester has of course been mentioned, but don't overlook Stockport, 8 miles away - which has a decent and very welcoming music scene of its own. Lots of good musicians who play together in shifting and unpredictable combinations, and are happy to bring in incomers. Housing &c cheaper than Mcr, but close enough that you can easily do anything you want there as well.