Why become a member? ×

Hard-To-Please Bandmates

It sounds  like they think they can poke at you because you're the least experienced, and they know they picked you because they knew you.

Trouble is, they're being hypocrites.  Either they want you in the band or they don't.  If one is complaining he can't hear the rumble of bass on stage, but refuses to have your bass sent to his in-ears,  tell him to STF up. If he ain't part of the solution, then he's part of the problem. Same goes for the others.

And who the hell carries your rig in .... them ?  No, it's you  , so the size doesn't matter. ( matron )

You need to start fighting back or get the hell out of dodge

Edited by fleabag

Wowsers! Thanks everyone. You've definitely all given me some food for thought. 

Like I said, they are my best mates. I know they appreciate me and it's only this small issue relating to gear that is on my mind.

Forgot to mention, our main sound engineer is also the bass player that quit, resulting in me getting the job. He used an amp and no in-ears. As a result, he used to turn up loud so he could monitor himself as well as doing sound on the fly. Slight 'pot calling kettle black' but I know he was just doing what he had to. He's a good guy.

I think the main thing I'll take from everyone's advice, is that I was hired for good reason and I should own it. You can't please all the people all the time. 

• Like 3

Why did the other bass player leave? Maybe they should use a backing track bass and then all squabble about how it should sound? i've done many a gig and very rarely had the 'perfect' sound onstage. Who are they? Floyd?

On 10/05/2018 at 16:23, EBS_freak said:

they want a Woojer each... and you can leave your amp at home again.

Any ideas where to buy in the UK? They're $149 from woojer but they're  not giving an option to ship to the UK. 

If you all go through in-ears there's no need for any kind of bass or guitar rig on stage. Everybody needs to have a decent band mix in the in-ears and ramp up their own signal a bit more for clarity. 

So the first problem is that guitar player, he needs the rest of the band in his in-ear, you can't all be playing loud as hell so he can hear you through the phones (good in-ears cancel a lot of external sound). If he want's only vocals and guitar in his monitoring he'll be better off with a floor monitor just for that and listen to band mix through stage backline. Drummer is the second problem,  does he use in-ears? does he have enough bass in his mix?

Finally, the sound guy, he's doing his job the correct way aparently. They don't want too much backline sound bleeding to the front. I think he's the key in solving your problem. Next gig make him setup your amp EQ and volume the way it'll complement the FOH sound (he's a bass player, he'll know how to do it), but have him doing it for the drummer and guitar player. They should be the ones talking with the sound guy and deciding on volume. Say that you don't care about the sound as you're using in-ears. Place the amp between guitard and Drummer if you have to. Make it their problem, not yours. You'll be happy with your monitoring either way.

Regarding the size, if you're carrying it and have enough van space it isn't a problem. If you find that you need something more compact but with enough low-end to sound like a subwoofer then you can't be wrong with an AER combo.

2 hours ago, mrtcat said:

Any ideas where to buy in the UK? They're $149 from woojer but they're  not giving an option to ship to the UK. 

Ah yeah - they've stopped shipment to the UK at the moment as they are having trouble fulfilling orders to the UK at the moment. If you are ordering a number, it may be worth dropping them a line to see if you can appeal to their kinder nature... otherwise, you are going to have to look at one of the US to UK shipping brokers... pain in the backside I know. Dont suppose you know anybody in the States?