Why become a member? ×

Have you ever looked the part of a rock star etc?

Ah, remember them good old days of going through the musicians/bands wanted ads at the back of Melody Maker. I'd make a habit of auditioning for bands that were quite well known at the time just for the hell of it, knowing that was as close to being a rock star  as I'd ever get.  It became crystal clear I  just didn't look the part . At the time I was a pretty decent drummist and not butt ugly but in the late 80s image was pretty much order of the day and I just looked well,  uninteresting I spose. I wasn't 'glamorous' in a Duran kinda way and I wasn't seedy, dirty rock n' roll incarnate like Guns n Roses.  Doesn't anyone else think that had they looked more the part,  they might now be sunning themselves at their £10m beach hideaway  in the Seychelles ?

I don't know about "rock star" per se, but I think I've managed to a aqcuire a "look"...I recall going for a drink with some former colleagues a few years ago. Having not seen any of them for a while, one of them asked me, "so what are you up to these days?"

Before I could reply, his wife stopped me and said "no, wait, let me guess...you're a musician, aren't you?"

"Why yes," I (probably) replied, smugly, "Yes, I am. Though," I continued, somewhat less smugly, "...not really enough to make a living out of it."

Yeah, around 85/86 I had a look similar to The Cult/Hanoi Rocks. Rather ironically it was at a time when I wasn`t in a band but looked like I was in one, rather than since then when I`ve been in bands but haven`t looked like I was.

• Haha 1

In the very early seventies, I had the look. Lots of hair, 27" waist and sprayed on pants ( as in trousers, not Y-fronts)

I auditioned for T-Rex (drums) and got a second audition. Unbeknown to me, and all of us at the auditions,  Bill had already been approached and had already recorded a few tracks. Anyway,  obviously, I didn't get the job. My then wife to be however, still maintains to this day that I lost out because I was too good looking for Marc Bolan to have on stage with him.

Well that's her story and I'm making sure she's sticking to it 😂

Probably did me a favour really as I suppose he could've offered me a lift home at some point.

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

Yeah, around 85/86 I had a look similar to The Cult/Hanoi Rocks. Rather ironically it was at a time when I wasn`t in a band but looked like I was in one, rather than since then when I`ve been in bands but haven`t looked like I was.

Some kind of inverse formula going on I think, the times when I wasn’t in a band were the times when I most looked like someone in a band.

Edited by Frank Blank

6 hours ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

I don't know about "rock star" per se, but I think I've managed to a aqcuire a "look"...I recall going for a drink with some former colleagues a few years ago. Having not seen any of them for a while, one of them asked me, "so what are you up to these days?"

Before I could reply, his wife stopped me and said "no, wait, let me guess...you're a musician, aren't you?"

"Why yes," I (probably) replied, smugly, "Yes, I am. Though," I continued, somewhat less smugly, "...not really enough to make a living out of it."

Was it the old clothes, holes in your shoes, and empty wallet that gave it away?

Edited to add: PS that's a comment on most musicians I know - not on your good self of course.

Edited by Count Bassy
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Pics, Lozz!

Pretty much none exist, Ben. A couple of me looking rather like Sid Vicious before the hair got longer, but none us took cameras around back then, we`d have just lost or broke them when hammered, which was every night.

11 hours ago, Count Bassy said:

Was it the old clothes, holes in your shoes, and empty wallet that gave it away?

Edited to add: PS that's a comment on most musicians I know - not on your good self of course.

To be fair, even now that I have a regular income I have a dreadful habit of not buying new clothes until the old ones start falling apart. At least back then I had the excuse that I was skint!

19 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

where's the empathy button when you need one :biggrin:

I think I "looked the part" of cheap Mark King immitator but only playing fingertyle (if you ignore the shorts that I still get stick for off the band!!!)... Only problem being thirty years late!

FB_IMG_1468651827904.jpg

Edited by uk_lefty