Why become a member? ×

Learning songs for an audition

spike

4 hours ago, Luckystrike said:

If time permits I'd say this is the best approach. You've got the 5 you already know to show off your chops, and the 5 new ones to show how quickly you can pick stuff up.

edit: just saw the post above - teaches me for having tabs open for ages before replying!

If it was a money making band that I really wanted to be a part of, I'd study and learn as much about the band as I could as well as learn as much of their current set list I could.

Blue

Its 50-50. If you really want the slot then get everything you can out of the 5 songs you know. Know them in the dark, know them in your sleep. That is what they have asked for and presume they will judge you on that parameter. You could wing it on those songs and learn another 5 but If another bassist has nailed the 5 asked for better because they concentrated on them then you could blow it. You may only get to play 5.

Compromise. Practice the 5 you know but pick two others that are not too challenging so you can throw in " Do you want to do another couple of songs?"  If they already like your playing on the original 5.

Why make life difficult, they have requested you choose 5 songs from their set list.

I assume it must be a covers band, if so they should provide you with the keys, it helps if they are in the original keys, in the terms of the arrangement they should tell you exactly which version, single, album track or live.

You should do the 5 you already know and hopefully they match the keys and arrangements of the ones they do, if not, it will be pretty easy to move stuff about and remember before the audition.

This will be your only chance to make a great impression and get the job, you will only most probably only have time to perform 5 songs, if you believe you can play these 5 songs to a high standard, you stand a great chance.

Edited by steantval

1 hour ago, steantval said:

Why make life difficult, they have requested you choose 5 songs from their set list.

I assume it must be a covers band, if so they should provide you with the keys, it helps if they are in the original keys, in the terms of the arrangement they should tell you exactly which version, single, album track or live.

You should do the 5 you already know and hopefully they match the keys and arrangements of the ones they do, if not, it will be pretty easy to move stuff about and remember before the audition.

This will be your only chance to make a great impression and get the job, you will only most probably only have time to perform 5 songs, if you believe you can play these 5 songs to a high standard, you stand a great chance.

It's always a good idea to have clear understanding what the band is looking for.

For example, they might not be looking for the best player. The win might go to the guy with the best vocals or best look, who knows. You have to ask questions.

I always like to know why the previous bass player left.

Blue

11 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

It's always a good idea to have clear understanding what the band is looking for.

For example, they might not be looking for the best player. The win might go to the guy with the best vocals or best look, who knows. You have to ask questions.

Blue

Fine, but he has not been asked to sing. The audition is based on the 5 songs they have asked for. Anything else is an extra. Nail the 5 they have asked for, be polite and friendly and you can do no more. Any preparation not based on the 5 songs is wasted preparation. Do what you are asked to do and do it better than the rest of the guys they are auditioning. That way if you dont get the gig its not your fault, its simply apples and oranges.

11 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Yes. I left my ex-band partly because the drummer refused to admit that she couldn't play in time. They did find another bass player, but soon afterwards disappeared completely, possibly for the same reason. Not that they would have admitted it.

54 minutes ago, mikel said:

Fine, but he has not been asked to sing. The audition is based on the 5 songs they have asked for. Anything else is an extra. Nail the 5 they have asked for, be polite and friendly and you can do no more. Any preparation not based on the 5 songs is wasted preparation. Do what you are asked to do and do it better than the rest of the guys they are auditioning. That way if you dont get the gig its not your fault, its simply apples and oranges.

Entirely agree.

If they are covers, I would play them exactly note for note as the original recordings with a bass sound as near to them as well.

Do that and they cannot fault your playing, it could work both ways, they will be seriously impressed or you may make them look inferior players.

By doing the above, if you do not get the job, it will be down to a personality thing.

Edited by steantval

On 10/05/2018 at 12:58, police squad said:

tell them that you knew 5 already, so learnt another 5. It'll show you're keen

This is what I did in the end and ended up playing all 10 as the person due after me had cancelled. Waiting to hear back now and keeping my fingers crossed.