Why become a member? ×

Learning songs for an audition

spike

I have an audition with a band arranged for next week and they've sent me their set list and asked me to pick five songs from it. There are five songs on the list that I know very well because I play them in my present band but I'm thinking of learning five songs that are new to me and keeping the songs I know in reserve.

Just wondering what other people would do, would you play it safe and audition with the songs you already knew or learn five new songs just for the challenge?

Definitely go with the five you already know, but learn five more so that you can deal with it if they call them unexpectedly (often happens) or if the audition goes really well and they don't chuck you out after 30 minutes but instead want to carry on playing (sometimes happens).

Anyway, learning new material is always good.

• Like 1

I'd pick 5 new songs to learn, because where can be the downside of that?

I'd keep the 5 I know in reserve (although probably just say to them I've been through 10 songs when I arrive at the rehearsal, looks better), and simply accept that I'd need to watch and listen for arrangement differences. If you truly know the songs (know the parts and not just on auto-pilot from another band), arrangement on the fly is relatively easy if you have a good ear. Keys can be a little tricker to change on the fly (depending on your skill level), especially if they have some riff based tunes, but presumably they've supplied you the keys? If not, that's a basic requirement of them I'd say.

Si

Edited by Sibob

24 minutes ago, spike said:

yes, they've told me the keys, all are the same as the original recording and all the same as I play them in.

Ace.

I was going to suggest sticking with the ones you know - but learning them in several different keys. 1/2 tone and full tone up and down as that would likely deal with most singer's voices if they've picked the tune in the first place.

So in that case I'll say slot in some filter soaked slap solos. That always impresses! :D 

Learn as many as you can. It will hold you in good stead. When I auditioned for the band I’m in now, they gave me five specific songs to learn. There wasn’t anything too taxing so I looked up their set list on their Facebook page and learned as many as I could (I think about twenty out of thirty plus). I think the fact I’d done that helped partly in getting me the job.

Edited by BrunoBass

Last audition I had I already had played half the set list in old bands so brushed up. Learned all the simpler ones of what was left, printed out the chords for the others where possible so I could busk along, and stalked the band on Facebook and saw they were learning "money for nothing" so learned that too. Got the gig, never looked back. There were one or two songs where there was a distinctive riff or lots of changes I couldn't get my head round in time but I knew enough of the rest that it wasn't an issue for a first audition. 

Just show a good attitude and an open mind, which it looks like you are doing, because it's about more than just playing the right notes in time.

4 hours ago, Graham said:

Be careful about the ones you already know, as the arrangements and keys may be different

I realised a while ago that some of the songs we play have evolved to become quite different to the originals, some by design and others by accident.  For those you know take a good listen to the originals and hope that the band you're auditioning for haven't drifted too far from the recorded version.

5 minutes ago, tb4sbp said:

I would learn 5 or more new songs and keep the 5 or so that you already know in reserve. As mentioned if they like ya you can still play on. The more you know the better off you are. Best of luck

That's what I intend to do, just wondered what other people's thoughts were. I'm also going to wear my Bootsy costume and bring my pedal collection. It'll take a while to connect them all up and I may have to troubleshoot

some dodgy patch cables but I know they'll be impressed. 

5 hours ago, spike said:

I have an audition with a band arranged for next week and they've sent me their set list and asked me to pick five songs from it.

This is what I would do.

I would diplomatically request they tell you which 5 songs to learn for the audition.

You might pick 5 songs from their set list that they no longer perform or rarely perform. That alone can set your audition off to a bad start.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

33 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

...I would diplomatically request they tell you which 5 songs to learn for the audition....

... and then get hung out to dry for not showing decision-making ability and not having complied with what they'd asked for..! xD :P

When I auditioned for a punk covers band they gave me 5 songs to learn. But, as I already knew most of their set anyway, I made sure that I was up to speed on all of the songs, so once we got the end of the 5 nominated ones, I just suggested another one from the set til we`d done about 20 or so. I got the job. I think the advice of going for the 5 you already know is good, but learn another 5 as well as a reserve. And tell them the 5 that you`ve decided on before the actual audition so that they are also prepared - it`s a two way thing, if you tell them the 5 and at the audition they`re rotten at them, well that may make your choice for you.

1 hour ago, spike said:

Blue makes a good point but if they don't know the songs on their own set list that's me testing them as much as them  testing me.

I took the bait on picking 5 songs from a bands set list. After learning the 5 songs I picked I sent them an email stating the songs I would be auditioning.

Their response;

"Oh we don't play those songs anymore."

I told them I didn't think I was the guy for them and cancelled my audition.

Blue

9 hours ago, police squad said:

tell them that you knew 5 already, so learnt another 5. It'll show you're keen

If time permits I'd say this is the best approach. You've got the 5 you already know to show off your chops, and the 5 new ones to show how quickly you can pick stuff up.

edit: just saw the post above - teaches me for having tabs open for ages before replying!

Edited by Luckystrike

I once auditioned for a band and as requested learned half a dozen or so off their list of thirty.

- Got to the audition and the 'Band Leader' said  'Let's start from the top of the list then'  totally ignoring the fact that I'd been asked to learn six, and which six I'd learnt. Thankfully I wasn't offered the job.