Why become a member? ×

Punchiest amp?

40hz

Try a compressor. Can't recommend the TC Spectracomp highly enough, a bargain of a pedal.

With a suitably long attack time, the compressor lets the note attack through untouched, then clamps down on the volume. The overall volume is then boosted to compensate for this. End result is the attack of each note really pops, yet your overall dynamic range is smooth and controlled.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Japhet said:

If your definition of 'punchy' is what I think it is I'd say the Orange Terror. I played through one a while back but found it far too aggressive and 'in your face' for my taste. The 1000 watt with not much gain would have masses of headroom.

I have the 1000w version and agree completely, it’s why I got it.

If you want real clarity, attack and a super clean sound, you need a lot of headroom/power. You want whatever you use to be working well within itself and not straining in any way - that's when dirt/compression starts to make its presence felt. I'd be looking at a high quality pre' with a serious PA power amp (think something like Lab Gruppen) driving Barefaced, Greenboy or similar cabs. Not cheap, but will do the job properly.

• Like 2

Some great suggestions, really appreciate the feedback on this. 

In terms of what I'm currently running, it's a TC BH550, which has a crystalline clear tone but it doesn't hit the extremes I'm looking for with regards to that thumpy, authorative sound.

In regards to compressors, I do use the TC Spectracomp toneprint, which does help a lot to be fair.

I'm finding that over the course of a song/set it's like the attack dampens down somewhat although I'm fully aware I could be imagining this.

A few mentions for GK on here, I always thought they were known for an aggressive, grindy sound?

Re GK, get the 1001RB and you`ll have that clean punch for days, to get the grind from that amp you have to be pushing it and at that point it`s either stadium gigs or ears bleeding time. Even the MB range, Fusion especially will deliver a clean slam coupled with the right bass and cabs. The Fusion is a warmer, less clinical amp due to the preamp valves, but still delivers GK sound - unless you push the gain it`s still really punchy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 40hz said:

In terms of what I'm currently running, it's a TC BH550, which has a crystalline clear tone but it doesn't hit the extremes I'm looking for with regards to that thumpy, authorative sound.

In regards to compressors, I do use the TC Spectracomp toneprint, which does help a lot to be fair.

I'm finding that over the course of a song/set it's like the attack dampens down somewhat although I'm fully aware I could be imagining this.

I moved to the Genzlers from a TCE RH450 but I'm not sure how similar that sounds compared to your BH550. I loved the warmth and retro voicing of the RH450 and could get a similar - albeit much smoother and somehow 'bigger' retro tone - from the Magellan 800. But what has really impressed over the past year or more of gigging it is the weight, clarity, depth and articulation of the clean channel to the point that what it's now my go-to sound instead of a the more vintage bass tone that I've been using for the past 30 years.

If you have a Spectracomp check out the Muscle Comp tone print if you haven't already. That adds a massive punch to your sound.

Are you using ear plugs when you play? If you're playing at even modest volumes with a drummer (or anyone else making a significant row) without any from of ear protection my guess is that its ear fatigue that's the cause of the apparent dampening of attack that you perceive. Do your ears ring after a gig/rehearsal? If they are ringing it's ear fatigue caused by the volume - and you don't need to be playing flat out either to cause it. Try some ear plugs if you're not already using them and see if they help.

11 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

Try a compressor. Can't recommend the TC Spectracomp highly enough, a bargain of a pedal.

With a suitably long attack time, the compressor lets the note attack through untouched, then clamps down on the volume. The overall volume is then boosted to compensate for this. End result is the attack of each note really pops, yet your overall dynamic range is smooth and controlled.

Hey DB - what are you finding is a 'suitably long attack time' for good results here?

3 minutes ago, Osiris said:

If you have a Spectracomp check out the Muscle Comp tone print if you haven't already. That adds a massive punch to your sound.

Do you have the parameters to hand in terms of compression threshold, ratio, attack and release that the Muscle Comp tone print is using?

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Hey DB - what are you finding is a 'suitably long attack time' for good results here?

I don't know, I just twiddle the knobs until it sounds the bestest.

I tried all the Toneprints and preferred the stock setting. I think they dialed they one in just right!

13 hours ago, Osiris said:

I moved to the Genzlers from a TCE RH450 but I'm not sure how similar that sounds compared to your BH550. I loved the warmth and retro voicing of the RH450 and could get a similar - albeit much smoother and somehow 'bigger' retro tone - from the Magellan 800. But what has really impressed over the past year or more of gigging it is the weight, clarity, depth and articulation of the clean channel to the point that what it's now my go-to sound instead of a the more vintage bass tone that I've been using for the past 30 years.

Are you using ear plugs when you play? If you're playing at even modest volumes with a drummer (or anyone else making a significant row) without any from of ear protection my guess is that its ear fatigue that's the cause of the apparent dampening of attack that you perceive. Do your ears ring after a gig/rehearsal? If they are ringing it's ear fatigue caused by the volume - and you don't need to be playing flat out either to cause it. Try some ear plugs if you're not already using them and see if they help.

I wear foam earplugs with a 35db rating, and we don't rehearse excessively loud. As I said, maybe I'm just imagining it! 

Looked into the Genzler and it's seems intriguing, liking the sound of it through YouTube demos and what people seem to say, might have to get down to Bass Direct and see if they have any I can demo.

On an aside, the best amp I've played through that sounded like what I'm trying to explain is the Mesa Boogie MPulse 600. Big, wide sounding, authorative, yet defined and controlled. Unfortunately they seem to be rarer than rocking horse poo on the secondhand market. Don't suppose anyone knows if the Mesa Boogie Subway comes in any way close to this?

Edited by 40hz

12 minutes ago, 40hz said:

I wear foam earplugs with a 35db rating, and we don't rehearse excessively loud. As I said, maybe I'm just imagining it! 

Looked into the Genzler and it's seems intriguing, liking the sound of it through YouTube demos and what people seem to say, might have to get down to Bass Direct and see if they have any I can demo.

On an aside, the best amp I've played through that sounded like what I'm trying to explain is the Mesa Boogie MPulse 600. Big, wide sounding, authorative, yet defined and controlled. Unfortunately they seem to be rarer than rocking horse poo on the secondhand market. Don't suppose anyone knows if the Mesa Boogie Subway comes in any way close to this?

I have a Mesa M6 Carbine (which I love) and I didn't think the Mesa D800 came particularly close to the valve preamp + Mosfet power amp of the M6. This may be of interest from the 'other' forum:

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/mesa-m-pulse-600-vs-subway-d800.1324289/

BD also has the Mesa D800 so you can compare the two when you pop over.

@Osiris did a very useful review of the Genzler, the D800 and the DGM900 which I'm sure he'll be able to dig out for you, if it's of interest.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I have a Mesa M6 Carbine (which I love) and I didn't think the Mesa D800 came particularly close to the valve preamp + Mosfet power amp of the M6. This may be of interest from the 'other' forum:

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/mesa-m-pulse-600-vs-subway-d800.1324289/

BD also has the Mesa D800 so you can compare the two when you pop over.

@Osiris did a very useful review of the Genzler, the D800 and the DGM900 which I'm sure he'll be able to dig out for you, if it's of interest.

Thanks! That's really helpful!

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

And here it is;

In short, I thought the Mesa was a superb amp, bags of power and a really aggressive tone (possibly more so than you're looking for?) But I felt I was having to work against it to keep it under control and to stop it getting out of hand.

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/303884-amp-test-drive-aguilar-darkglass-genzler-and-mesa-boogie/

On 11/05/2018 at 21:37, Osiris said:

And here it is;

In short, I thought the Mesa was a superb amp, bags of power and a really aggressive tone (possibly more so than you're looking for?) But I felt I was having to work against it to keep it under control and to stop it getting out of hand.

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/303884-amp-test-drive-aguilar-darkglass-genzler-and-mesa-boogie/

Thanks for the link, it was an interesting read and makes a strong case for the Genzler. Echoing a few things i've read elsewhere online too.

Whilst researching other heads, I came across the EBS Reidmar 750. Always been aware of them but they fly under the radar a bit and could be a left-field choice. I know EBS are known for a glassy, hi-fi sound (which might be a bit too much with my Flea bass, especially given it's a 1997 model with an original Lane Poor) Anyone have experiences in terms of the thump/presence this amp puts out?

On 13/05/2018 at 17:23, 40hz said:

Thanks for the link, it was an interesting read and makes a strong case for the Genzler. Echoing a few things i've read elsewhere online too.

Whilst researching other heads, I came across the EBS Reidmar 750. Always been aware of them but they fly under the radar a bit and could be a left-field choice. I know EBS are known for a glassy, hi-fi sound (which might be a bit too much with my Flea bass, especially given it's a 1997 model with an original Lane Poor) Anyone have experiences in terms of the thump/presence this amp puts out?

The Reidmar 750 is an excellent and flexible amp and very LOUD.  It seems better value than the competition too.

Frank.

I’ve got to suggest the Mesa M6 as well, the most lovely in-yer-face punchy sound in my opinion. I’ve owned a lot of amps & of them all, this was the one!  Got a Mesa D800 now and it’s a great amp but not even close to the M6, again in my opinion. 

• Like 1

On 24/05/2018 at 20:42, largo said:

I’ve got to suggest the Mesa M6 as well, the most lovely in-yer-face punchy sound in my opinion. I’ve owned a lot of amps & of them all, this was the one!  Got a Mesa D800 now and it’s a great amp but not even close to the M6, again in my opinion. 

+1^^

I've just spent an afternoon A/B ing 3 high end rigs and the Mesa M6 is still the winner for me. The combination of the rich harmonics delivered by its 12Ax7 valve preamp with an excellent 600W Mosfet power amp makes it add real sparkle to your bass tone. 

Oops I've just read back through this thread and I'm definitely sounding like a stuck record on the Mesa M6 - must stop being so enthusiastic about this head!! If mine wasn't part of an 80lb combo it would be bass heaven, but with that weight sadly it's just not practical for gigging...

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the replies on the thread!

I decided to go for Bagsie Blue's Gallien Krueger MB800 that was up for sale in the for sale section, seemed a good price and worth a try!

Well!! You guys were not wrong about GK heads! The presence and authority in the tone is a definite step up. Not an amp for the shy retiring type! Had to dial the treble back SO much at a gig on Friday in Oxford. I had the horn's on my 2x Vanderkley MNT210's dialled back to almost off and the treble cut slightly on my Modulus Flea and it was still a very bright sound. However, that massive grunty bottom end and sheer 'quickness' of the notes was extremely pleasing to the ear. I was also getting a 'slight' bit of overdrive at fairly low gain settings, which confused me a bit, it could just be the Bartolini preamp / Lane Poor combo driving the input stage too hard. (I haven't tried the -10db cut switch but i'd imagine it would clean it up)

However, I'd imagine this in conjunction with a quality compressor would get me where I want to be. :)

• Like 1