Why become a member? ×

bass stand for small stages

razze06

I need some recommendation on a new bass stand to be used on small stages and cramped corners of pub where I ply most of my "trade".

I almost always double with DB and bass guitar, so I found that putting the bass down on its side is too dangerous (people moving about the stage often accidentally kick it). Using my old stand is impractical because it is not very stable and the wrong size. In an ideal world, a 2-in-1 DB and bass guitar stand would exist and be available for purchase :)

What do people use and recommend?

13 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Which is best for you depends on your needs. Try this search:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/cat_rank.html?ar=263906

Does that link work for you?

The link does work, thanks.

I'd like to hear if anybody has the same needs I have (cramped stage, switching between DB and bass guitar and needing to put the DB down somewhere safe) and has found something that suits.

The Dewa McNutt looks interesting, could save time when switching and looks stable. Larger footprint that i'd like though, but less than laying the DB on its side...

You can't go far wrong with the K&M 141. The combination of telescopic main support plus fully adjustable side-arms means that you can rig it in a number of ways depending on circumstances.

For example, you can keep the support short and have the side-arms 'reach up' to hold the shoulders of the bass. Or you can have the support at maximum height and use the side-arms to grasp the sides of the bass.

It's actually possible to play the DB while it's in this stand, allowing you to swing your electric bass behind you on its strap, and step up to the DB to play. I've done this with a uke-bass, but in all honesty I've never done it with a Mike Lull Thunderbird!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the hercules stand for mine.. 

https://www.thomann.de/gb/hercules_stands_hcds590b_double_bass_stand.htm

very stable and it lifts the bass far enough up to be able to keep the end pin out.  It does mean you need around a foot of space above the instrument to lift it in and out though.

I bought mine from an ebay seller so didn't pay as much as thomann are asking.

19 minutes ago, TPJ said:

Daflewis posted this a few years back that looked great and is similar to the McNutt.

https://www.thebassbar.co.uk/

I've got a bass bar and it works well. Mine looks very similar to the base of a music stand with a T bar to support the bass. It's handy if you're doubling and doing fast change overs. I would prefer it if I could adjust the height a bit more, but that's not a big deal and it may well have changed since I bought mine a few years ago. There's a few other brands doing a similar design such as K&M and it certainly beats leaning your bass against a chair! 

• Thanks 1

Mine just arrived so I used it to replace the big Hercules stand in the sitting room.

First impression - why didn't I know about these earlier? Ridiculously simple, ridiculously effective, far less intrusive than the other stands I've used.

I'm concerned about the footprint of the bass once it's on the bass bar. I think it might occupy rather a lot of floor space, which is at a huge premium in many of the gigs I do. I would have thought that a stand that keeps the bass upright (see what I did there) would have a smaller stage footprint.

Any comments? 

6 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Bass on Hercules stand = 31" x 23" = 713 sq"

Bass on Bass Bar = 44" x 22" = 968 sq"

So it takes up roughly one third more floor space, but it far harder to knock over.

Ya pays yer money ...

I suppose i'll have to see if it works for me, so I ordered one :)

A local bassist has what is basically like a cut down box shaped to the shape of his bass that the bass just 'stands' in vertically. Super stable and means the bass takes up no more room with angled stands etc. It made my Stagg stand look prehistoric :)

8 minutes ago, JPJ said:

A local bassist has what is basically like a cut down box shaped to the shape of his bass that the bass just 'stands' in vertically. Super stable and means the bass takes up no more room with angled stands etc. It made my Stagg stand look prehistoric :)

It is probably something like the stand Upton Bass(USA) sells, it's on their website.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Staggering on said:

It is probably something like the stand Upton Bass(USA) sells, it's on their website.

I believe its something Danny made himself

10 hours ago, JPJ said:

I think Bassace has one of these, I seem to remember it putting in an appearance at the SE Bass Bash a couple of years ago.

12 hours ago, Staggering on said:

That looks to be simple enough to make, custom fitted, for one's bass; it could even be made to fold up for transport with a few hinges or the like. A project there for someone..? ;)