Why become a member? ×

Acoustic (fretless) bass recommendations?

ForestPoetry

I've been thinking about getting an electro-acoustic bass, preferably fretless. Something I can noodle around with for fun in my spare time, pretend I can play Latin Jazz, that sort of thing.

I've seen a few options out there but it seems fairly limited. I really like the look of that Sigma one but I don't want to be spending more than £250 ideally. Beater budget effectively. is is nescessary to have a larger budget so as not to get a rubbish preamp? 

In the event I bought a fretted one (as there are many more options available), could anyone tell me how much a good de-fret job (inc. filling in line markers) is likely to set me back? Cheers!

This is about to sell for a completely stupid price - currently £134, closing at 21:01 tonight:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RRP-840-Michael-Kelly-Dragonfly-Electro-Acoustic-Bass-Guitar-Gig-Bag-NEW-Superb/312123539045?hash=item48ac033e65:g:IGMAAOSwH~ta6eDH

I have the fretless 5 version, great build quality and tone, Fishman electronics, visually gorgeous (if it's not too ornate for your taste). Worth the £800+ list price.

Edited by josie
updated url

8 hours ago, ForestPoetry said:

Totally missed that! Did you get it in the end? Pics?

No, I was tempted but decided it would just be greedy. It went for £287 in the end - hopefully to someone who will fully appreciate it.

Do look out for the Michael Kellys though, it's not a well known name, so they tend to go second hand for a lot less than a similar quality from a better known maker.

Vintage make nice acoustic basses too, easier to find in your price range, but not as nice as the MKs.

Depends on personal taste but I've always liked the look of the Aria FEB's. 

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=aria+feb&client=ms-android-tmobile-gb&prmd=vimn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi2i9eVkfzaAhWJK8AKHWUIBI0Q_AUIEigC&biw=360&bih=512#imgrc=FjlSPQSEfFo92M:

Gear4Music have them for £220. Not tried one (daren't) but Aria usually make decent budget gear. 

The Harley Benton ones are good as well, I have a fretted and fretless and they're both good. 

Edited by Maude

On 5/9/2018 at 16:42, josie said:

This is about to sell for a completely stupid price - currently £134, closing at 21:01 tonight:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RRP-840-Michael-Kelly-Dragonfly-Electro-Acoustic-Bass-Guitar-Gig-Bag-NEW-Superb/312123539045?hash=item48ac033e65:g:IGMAAOSwH~ta6eDH

I have the fretless 5 version, great build quality and tone, Fishman electronics, visually gorgeous (if it's not too ornate for your taste). Worth the £800+ list price.

What do you string yours with? I have laBella deep talkin flats on mine and they sound awesome acoustically but because the B string is exposed core across the bridge the piezo doesn't pick it up as well as the other 4 strings. Not really too much of a problem cos I bought it to play acoustically in the first place but it would be nice to take it to amplified sessions sometime instead of to EUB.

D'Addario chrome flats, same as on my electric fretless. If you're after a UB sort of sound, tape-wounds are generally agreed to be best, but I'm trying for a slide/shimmer bassline (inspired by the slide guitar in some of my favourite blues bands, including the one I play in :-) and the silvery sound they give is exactly what I want.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want a full size bass and you are on a budget, I can wholly recommend the Harley Benton basses. If you fancy dabbling in the world of Ukulele bass, then Harley Benton also do a great Kala'esque fretless version.

If you have a little more money to spend and staying full size, the rockbass Aliens from Warwick are very good value, as are the Takamine and Crafters.