Why become a member? ×

NBD: Bongo.. no.. wait?

Woodinblack

Well, one day I was mooching around the Aliexpress site looking for something unrelated to this.

A long time back I was offered a deal on a bongo but couldn't get past the ugliness of them. Over time the look has sort of kept coming back to me to the point where I actually now quite like it. But not enough to buy one as I haven't ever really got on with a stingray and never tried a bongo to see if it was different (in fact I don't think I have ever even seen one in a shop).

So there was this on Aliexpress - £100, plus a bit for shipping and a bit probably for customs when it turned up. 

The original had all the musicman registered logos all over it and all the text, but after a delay they said they had to build one, so I got them to do it without any of the logos. Thought that was taking the P a bit.

It turned up today. Actually plays pretty well, but certainly a bit shoddy on the details, the way the strings bend to the left, the top machine head is too far over, the way that the dots are not in line on the side,  there are some rough edges, but with a bit of work and for those pubs where I don't want to take anything that is worth losing, this is perfect!

IMG_4693.thumb.jpg.3a7c04de63993d6bd854fd42186234aa.jpg

As long as it suits it's purpose for you, then all good. But I wouldn't part with £10 for that let alone £150, dogs dinner.

Had a mate who bought an Ali Express Fodera copy and it was just awful. He tried to rework it, but think he just binned it after all.

Si

Indeed. It has a lot of minor issues that add up, and the more you look, the more you find. However, as it turns out, regardless of those faults, when I plug it in it plays very well and sounds remarkably good. Which is probably by luck rather than design.

So probably worth fixing those issues that are actually a problem and living with the rest. Or just hacking it about!

I did notice there were a lot of fodera copies out there

Edited by Woodinblack

Extraordinary!! Here's my actual Bongo for you to compare - somewhat different shape for starters....😀image.thumb.jpeg.ffb0a0da43083e9d0824bf06c4ea3437.jpeg

That Aliexpress Bongo puts me in mind of the Chinese bootleg version of the BMW Mini - as featured on Top Gear - similar comical shape reproduction!! 

Im guessing all of these ideas go from the pictures rather than actually having one.

There are some odd features - there are two battery compartments on the back, however, one of them is empty, and the other takes the battery.

They got the bottom horn close - the top horn though, not that close!

Edited by Woodinblack

Here's the Mini if you fancy one!!! The rear aspect is even worse!!image.jpeg.3a04fdee9d6642f6211e23b744f07a2c.jpeg

The problem is these fakes do take real business and do also trick people - there being a story recently of Guitar Centre inadvertently trying to sell a used fake Musicman bass. 

I may be beginning to like the shape of the bongo, but I will never get to like the shape of a mine, either old, new or fake!

2 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

The problem is these fakes do take real business and do also trick people - there being a story recently of Guitar Centre inadvertently trying to sell a used fake Musicman bass. 

This isn't fooling anyone. But regardless that is why I told them not to put the logos on it. Originally in the photos they sent they had this:

HTB1cJIybZuYBuNkSmRyq6AA3pXaj.jpg.874da3b603ef2b5c5cfe32af298cf586.jpg

27 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

They got the bottom horn close - the top horn though, not that close!

The Bongo is quite a complex shape and although that bottom horn is closer as you say, it is only so in plan view - the real one has a complex curve to it.

You should get a real one - reasonable price used and you can always sell it if you don't like it - really very unlike a Stingray - super powerful EQ and with pick up blend, there are lots of tones available although I tend to run mine with the EQ flat mostly. Its a revelation ergonomics-wise particularly standing up - the lower horn gets in the way a touch when sat down. 

Those cheapo tuners stick up miles beyond the headstock on the Aliexpress copy - prime candidate for getting bent!!  

Edited by drTStingray

Well, I almost did, but wasn't sure when I had that opportunity.

Unfortunately they aren't that reasonable a price considering I haven't had a chance to get one. Happy to buy something a few hundred on spec, but a bongo isn't in that ballpark!

Presumably at one point I will get to try one and maybe then it is in the mix of things I want, but it isn't like I am short of them at the moment. Maybe I will get back to the point of having one in a trade at some point now I have got over the initial dislike of the look.

17 hours ago, drTStingray said:

Extraordinary!! Here's my actual Bongo for you to compare - somewhat different shape for starters....😀image.thumb.jpeg.ffb0a0da43083e9d0824bf06c4ea3437.jpeg

That Aliexpress Bongo puts me in mind of the Chinese bootleg version of the BMW Mini - as featured on Top Gear - similar comical shape reproduction!! 

I had a real one that colour for a while.

Should never have traded it.

I am not an expert on copyright by any means, but  surely this  "Wrongo" is on very shaky ground?

Anyhow, I am genuinely mystified why so many people think the Bongo is ugly or ungainly in some way.  I think it is a beautiful design. It looks better in the flesh than in pics or photos.

I agree totally with Dr. T.that the recipient of this bass should try to get his hands on a real Bongo. If you want a high - tech, hifi modern bass with a powerful sound and a distinct personality of its own then you can't do better.

45 minutes ago, Misdee said:

I am not an expert on copyright by any means, but  surely this  "Wrongo" is on very shaky ground?

Not particularly in the UK. It would be a non starter in France though. 

Here it is no different from the many bass copies that many of us play

Anyhow, I am genuinely mystified why so many people think the Bongo is ugly or ungainly in some way.  I think it is a beautiful design. It looks better in the flesh than in pics or photos.

I agree totally with Dr. T.that the recipient of this bass should try to get his hands on a real Bongo. If you want a high - tech, hifi modern bass with a powerful sound and a distinct personality of its own then you can't do better.

I don't find it ugly now, but I certainly did. But then I don't find the stingray that good looking either. They are not that popular, I noticed there is one in the marketplace at the moment that noone has even commented on.

I would if there were any around here - as I said, I have never actually seen one in any shop I have ever been in and I wouldn't be prepared to drop over a grand on something I have no clue what it is like.

Edited by Woodinblack

7 hours ago, Misdee said:

US copyright/trade dress protection legislation's not strictly enforceable outside of the US. Certainly not in China!

I've had 2 Bongos, and whilst they were absolutely stonking basses that played liked butter and had so many tones available - I never felt like it had a personality of it's own. I'm on a Jazz and Precision now, may get a Stingray to mix it up.

That aside, the Chinese copy pictured here, is an absolute crime against my eyes.

On 08/05/2018 at 18:12, Woodinblack said:

So there was this on Aliexpress - £100, plus a bit for shipping and a bit probably for customs when it turned up. 

Can I ask how much for customs? Any other extras? Have they come knocking for import duty?

i bought some photo studio lights from Hong Kong a while back; I paid an additional sum for customs at the time but then got hit for another fee from DHL for duty a few weeks later.

Who knows, it is a brown wood that looks a bit rosewood ish, I would assume it is whatever is cheap. The inlays are actually done well, as are the frets, which is odd considering how bad the side dots are, presumably done by someone else. The truss rod  is now up to 2 or 3 complete turns and now has some relief (and has stopped making the creaking noise!). The painting is also really good, the feel on the neck is great. Amazing how something like this can play so well

• 1 month later...

Took the wrongo to a gig the other day, did the first half of the gig with it. I had two comments, one was from the guitarist who was wondering what was wrong with the bass as it sounded bad, and one from a member of the public who said it looked really cool!

I might try it again with proper strings, to see if it makes the difference.

One thing I noticed, when I plugged it in at the gig it didn't work. I realised the battery was dead, the battery I put in when I got it. Thought that was odd, but I checked the power draw tonight. not only is it 2.2mA which seems a bit high, it doesn't switch off when you unplug the bass!

I like the idea but it does look like it was designed by someone who has once seen a Bongo, rather than someone who is looking directly at one to copy it.

If it works then you've got something a bit different that you can play without fear of damage, but I expect there's a real risk of getting something totally unplayable.

• Haha 1