Why become a member? ×

Finish - Is it important ?

I'm with BRX in the James Randi camp here (without the cash, sadly :|) - show me the actual, repeatable, provable science, and I'll believe it. Electronics, pickup placement, strings, design (in the extreme) yeah, everything else? What BRX said...

Edited by Muzz
  • Like 1

On 02/06/2018 at 02:31, Grangur said:

Aside of all the tonewood science, a change in the finish of the bass will change how the OP feels about the bass and so this could create a change in his attack with the fingers. 

+1

I think the emotional attachment makes far more difference than the finish 

On 02/06/2018 at 09:30, Muzz said:

I'm with BRX in the James Randi camp here (without the cash, sadly :|) - show me the actual, repeatable, provable science, and I'll believe it. Electronics, pickup placement, strings, design (in the extreme) yeah, everything else? What BRX said...

Speaking as someone with a fist-full of Warwicks ("The Sound of Wood"... etc, etc) They all have different wood and the do all sound different. There are a few similarities in tone I've noticed that would indicate that tonewood can have a small influence.

All that said, IMHO the main affecting things are:

Fingers/attitude, amplification, pickups, set-up, strings age, strings type, bridge, nut (open notes only), neck-wood, body-wood.

4 hours ago, Grangur said:

Speaking as someone with a fist-full of Warwicks ("The Sound of Wood"... etc, etc) They all have different wood and the do all sound different. There are a few similarities in tone I've noticed that would indicate that tonewood can have a small influence.

All that said, IMHO the main affecting things are:

Fingers/attitude, amplification, pickups, set-up, strings age, strings type, bridge, nut (open notes only), neck-wood, body-wood.

But do they all have exactly the same pickups/pre-amp/hardware/construction? If the bodies and necks are made of multiple pieces of wood are all the joins in the exactly the same place?

The problem I have with trying at attribute a tonal characteristic to a single element on a solid wood instrument is that there are simply too many variables present to be able to isolate a single wood type as having a particular conic characteristic. 

Edited by BigRedX

Hi @BigRedX what I have noticed is the basses with maple necks seem to have a more crisp response than the wenge neck basses.

That said, the maple necks are made of multiple sections and tend to be through-neck construction. So, I have to admit the difference between these could be construction and not the wood...

Aside from all the comments and opinions about tonewood science,
Is your bass from the Fender Roadworn series itself, or one that has been naturally (or un-naturally) roadworn?
I ask because the Classic series of Fender basses, also made in Mexico, alongside the Roadworns are apparently identical in every respect, other than finish

I say "apparently" as I can't confirm this myself, but there have been several posts on here from BC'ers who have owned both, and say they find them incredibly similar in terms of playability / feel and sound
Just thinking, if you start re-finishing and end up with a less than ideal finish (not questioning your spraying ability here, honest! lol) - you may end up de-valuing your bass, or at least being unhappy with the finish

I just wonder whether a better approach may be to trade your Roadworn for one of the classic series? Worth placing an ad on here, I'd think....
Whatever you decide - best of luck with it. I'm a fan of the Roadworn series, I know some aren't - but they are wonderfully built instruments

• Like 1

I will only wear a thin natural cotton t-shirt while gigging, anything thicker between the bass and my stomach affects the tone too much. Heavy knitwear will definitely result in a woolly tone, whilst synthetic fibres are good for slap. 

• Haha 1