Why become a member? ×

NBD ... Washburn B-80

Adee

Just got my hands on a rather splendid Washburn Chicago Series B-80 from around 1989

Superb condition with a very fetching Blue / Pink crackle finish, 2 band active, thru neck with a 'Stephen's Extended Cutaway' amazing condition

Had quite a high retail price when new, I got it for considerably less

I play in an 80s Rock Tribute show so its ideal www.that80srockshow.co.uk , although not everyones cuppa tea \m/

I can find very little about these basses .... anyone know anything?

IMG_0032.thumb.jpg.c7577fb47b73cdae10edcf781d309e39.jpgIMG_0034.thumb.jpg.4f9e70622badebb1fba2f4c4551f8d32.jpgIMG_0035.thumb.jpg.892d1a3566d4793044dce55240010592.jpg

Edited by Adee
  • Like 7

It's a stunner alright! I'm aware of this model - and also aware that the through-neck Chicagos are rare & people sometimes ask silly money when they do come up.

However, I don't have a lot of knowledge about post - '85-ish Washies & there doesn't seem to be much info out there. Like a lot of previously MIJ brands, most production went to Korea to keep costs down, so unless there's anything on the bass (country of manufacture, serial number) to ID it then I'll be guessing!

5 hours ago, Bassassin said:

It's a stunner alright! I'm aware of this model - and also aware that the through-neck Chicagos are rare & people sometimes ask silly money when they do come up.

However, I don't have a lot of knowledge about post - '85-ish Washies & there doesn't seem to be much info out there. Like a lot of previously MIJ brands, most production went to Korea to keep costs down, so unless there's anything on the bass (country of manufacture, serial number) to ID it then I'll be guessing!

Here’s the serial number ....

8A633B77-994B-4F27-A905-671A119D4FDC.thumb.jpeg.6f8ef03dd28b8856186f4d420311d276.jpeg

2 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Depends on the cake. Fish cake? Better with gravy.

1 minute ago, bartelby said:

potato cakes, also good with gravy

And not forgetting Battenberg of course. 

2 hours ago, Adee said:

Here’s the serial number ....

8A633B77-994B-4F27-A905-671A119D4FDC.thumb.jpeg.6f8ef03dd28b8856186f4d420311d276.jpeg

I'd be pretty confident that the "8" puts the bass at '88, which is certainly consistent with the aesthetic - and what I know of the model era. Not sure about the "K" prefix - it's almost certainly a factory designation but without a confirmed country of manufacture it's back to guessing again. By that point MIK quality was easily on a par with Japan, so no clues there!

• Thanks 1

Here’s a reply from another Washburn expert .... Heya Adee......WOW! These basses were made 1988-89 (I think the guitars, however, went for one more year??). 

You have a 1988 which sold originally for $1599.00.

Also the serial number of K811113 tells us because of the "K" that it was made in the excellent Kasuga factory in Japan. Kasuga stepped in when Matsumoko went under mid-late 1985.

I LOVE these SEC basses. Lucky you to have one!!! AND you have a very UNUSUAL magma paint job! Very nice indeed!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Adee said:

Also the serial number of K811113 tells us because of the "K" that it was made in the excellent Kasuga factory in Japan. Kasuga stepped in when Matsumoko went under mid-late 1985.

Hmm. I did wonder, in the event the bass turned out to be MIJ, if "K" might indicate Kasuga, in the same way that later Fujigen-built Ibanezes have an "F" prefix. I would expect there to be an MIJ stamp or sticker somewhere on the bass if that was the case.

I'm a bit of a Kasuga anorak & have never heard any suggestion that they built for Washburn - although I wouldn't rule it out, particularly for short-run, high-end models.

I should say that it's verified info from people who have probably forgotten twice as much as I know,  that Matsumoku never built any MIJ Washburns - in the late 70s & early 80s they were Yamaki Gakki builds, and subsequently, after Yamaki closed (around '83) production went to Chushin Gakki and continued there until about 1986, when records of Japanese Washburn manufacture stop. Matsumoku closed in 1987.

• 2 years later...