Why become a member? ×

Greetings from Milton Keynes, City of Dreams!

jamomalley

Good evening, fellow bass humans.

I'm Jam O'Malley, I play in a band called forest of fools, and we are a six-piece festival band featuring bass, melodeon, drums, percussion, vocals and sousaphone. We call the genre Jump-Up Folk, and it's a high-energy mashup of folk, funk, drum & bass and psychedelic.

I play a Warwick Thumb BO 4, a Warwick Infinity SN 5 (tuned E-C currently) and occasionally acoustic and fretless if I get carried away...

Mostly playing through a Markbass 15" CMD combo - 18kg! - perfect for trudging around muddy UK festivals!

I've spent a while gawping at the incredible basses and wealth of knowledge on these pages and I'm excited to be a part of it.

Much love,

J

forest-of-fools-fling-festival-2017--2.jpg

Edited by jamomalley
speling misteak
  • Like 3

Welcome Jam.

That's a fine bit of timber on that Thumb.  Striking grain pattern.

I went to school in Olney for a few years.  We moved away from Buckinghamshire as the new city was being built in the early seventies.  I always think fondly of the area.

Edited by SpondonBassed

3 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Welcome Jam.

That's a fine bit of timber on that Thumb.  Striking grain pattern.

I went to school in Olney for a few years.  We moved away from Buckinghamshire as the new city was being built in the early seventies.  I always think fondly of the area.

Thanks very much - that's the Infinity SN TCS and the wood is Zebrano - it's up for grabs... I will post it on the Basses for Sale forum soon I expect. It's a marvellous beast but I've decided after many years I'm a 4-string player!

Olney's still lovely by the way!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jamomalley said:

Thanks very much - that's the Infinity SN TCS and the wood is Zebrano - it's up for grabs... I will post it on the Basses for Sale forum soon I expect. It's a marvellous beast but I've decided after many years I'm a 4-string player!

Olney's still lovely by the way!

My mistake, sorry.

I've never had the pleasure of trying a Warwick so I haven't got my eye in with their range.  Good luck with the sale.

We lived a short distance from Ravenstone and Weston Underwood.  Those were about the happiest days of my childhood.

I'm just a few miles north of MK :)

On 08/05/2018 at 10:20, SpondonBassed said:

For reasons that are still not entirely clear, Osiris junior insists on calling it smelly Olney and insists on trying to hold his breath whenever we drive through the place. Hope this helps.   

53 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Olney....the village where "Amazing Grace" was written.

I seem to think it also claims to be where the pancake race originated too. That's flipping awesome. 

No? I'll get my coat. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Osiris said:

I'm just a few miles north of MK :)

For reasons that are still not entirely clear, Osiris junior insists on calling it smelly Olney and insists on trying to hold his breath whenever we drive through the place. Hope this helps.   

Take him there on Pancake Tuesday and sit him near one of the stands.  I bet it'll get his little nostrils twitching in short order.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Osiris said:

I seem to think it also claims to be where the pancake race originated too. That's flipping awesome. 

No? I'll get my coat. 

Yes.  Quite right.  Leave your coat on the hook.

I'm a bit chuffed by that if I'm honest but I really didn't mean to hijack the thread for Mr O'Malley.

On with the jam...

Edited by SpondonBassed

15 hours ago, King Tut said:

Welcome dude. I'm from MK too. Saw you a clue of mo this back at The Cannon. I know Jez and Gareth from fof. Welcome to basschat! Colin

:drinks:The Cannon is our weekly rehearsal space!

And thanks to all for the warm welcomes!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billynoband said:

Olney thread, cool. Posh as ..... Many happy childhood memories at Emberton park then off into Olney to lower the tone.Welcome to the forum.

When Emberton Park opened, our family business at Ravenstone Mill caravan park suffered and we had to sell up.  It was in the recession of the early seventies, strikes, rolling power cuts etc.