Why become a member? ×

Just for fun: When is a P-bass not a P-bass?

Guest MoJo

Guest MoJo

Just for a bit of fun, I have recorded 4 small sound samples. The basses in question are a Yamaha BB1100s (neck pickup in passive mode); a Vintage V4 with a maple neck and alnico Wilkinson pickup; a Vintage V4 with a rosewood board and ceramic Wilkinson pickup and an Ibanez GSR200 neck pickup (stock). Which do you think is which?

Bass 1

Bass 2

Bass 3

Bass 4

im guessing 1 v4 ceramic

2 yamaha bb

3 v4 alnico

4 ibanez gsr

• Guest changed the title to Just for fun: When is a P-bass not a P-bass?

I liked the sound of 1 the least, I assume that is the Yamaha purely on the basis that I had a 1024X recently that just didn't quite pull off the P bass sound, 2 and 3 I am guessing are the Vintage basses and 4 the Ibanez bass?

I preferred the second one overall

I thought 2 was quite woolly but I liked it the most, 4 was the most modern and articulate (best for the mix? Depending on the mix yada yada), 3 was in between, and 1 sounded like rubber bands.

I believe electronics have a larger influence than wood on the sound of electric instruments, so I guess 2 is the alnico and maple, and 3 and 4 are the Ibby or the ceramics. Which means that it's most likely the Yamaha I don't rate, which surprises me.

Looking forward to the results...

Guest MoJo
23 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

I've no idea, but I like #2 the best!

6 hours ago, Roger2611 said:

I preferred the second one overall

5 hours ago, ben4343 said:

I thought 2 was quite woolly but I liked it the most

Quite a bit of love for No.2. When I recorded the clips (plugging each bass directly into my Tascam GB10 Bass Trainer), I was quite surprised how little difference there was between basses 1, 2 and 3 and the variety in the answers above would confirm that. I believe that in a live situation, you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference. Now for the moment of truth.

No.1 is the Ibanez GSR200

No.2 is the V4 with the ceramic pickups and rosewood fretboard

No.3 is the V4 with alnico pickups and maple fretboard (that'll please @police squad )

No.4 is the Yamaha BB1100s

12 hours ago, MoJo said:

Quite a bit of love for No.2. When I recorded the clips (plugging each bass directly into my Tascam GB10 Bass Trainer), I was quite surprised how little difference there was between basses 1, 2 and 3 and the variety in the answers above would confirm that. I believe that in a live situation, you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference. Now for the moment of truth.

No.3 is the V4 with alnico pickups and maple fretboard (that'll please @police squad )

ha ha. Excellent. I can hear the difference between maple and rosewood boards, maple is more glassy.

On 7 May 2018 at 23:58, Bassassin said:

When it's a P-rick?

prick.jpg.a6bb096b90967c224e694f26eb500673.jpg

Sorry - as you were... :D

Hah! That's mine. Had it since 1980. Cleaned off a tatty tobacco sunburst that would fetch a fortune these days as a 'roadworn' finish. Plays beautifully and sounds so much better than an original fender. Doesn't get played much as I went 5 string in 1995. The wallpaper was my daughter's choice. :biggrin: