Why become a member? ×

Best rig for weddings and functions and stage sound

siphillips

16 hours ago, TKenrick said:

All of these. I've largely given up taking an amp to gigs and have never been happier - a decent D.I. and some IEMs will resolve any battles over monitor mixes and you can make sure that you can always hear yourself without upsetting other band members.

In-ears don't have to be expensive; provided you aren't running around too much, you could opt for a wired headphone pack and some non-moulded headphones (lots of people I work with use the shure 215s and love them). 

The funny thing about bass gear is that nobody else really cares apart from a handful of other bass players on the internet.

This, well said sir!

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Damonjames said:

Thank god for that!! I was beginning to think it was just me 😂

I think as a rule of thumb (a quad balanced armature with double  bass drivers) is where you want to be to start getting some quality monitors on the go. Others will do the job - but that headroom in the lows is what starts to give you the heavier bass and more control.

16 hours ago, TKenrick said:

All of these. I've largely given up taking an amp to gigs and have never been happier - a decent D.I. and some IEMs will resolve any battles over monitor mixes and you can make sure that you can always hear yourself without upsetting other band members.

In-ears don't have to be expensive; provided you aren't running around too much, you could opt for a wired headphone pack and some non-moulded headphones (lots of people I work with use the shure 215s and love them). 

The funny thing about bass gear is that nobody else really cares apart from a handful of other bass players on the internet.

Should probably also mention that the quality of your IEM feed is largely down to what desk you are running. Digital desks are king here - but for example, if you want to start running stereo ears, then your aux count on your desk quickly gets eaten up.

55 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Should probably also mention that the quality of your IEM feed is largely down to what desk you are running. Digital desks are king here - but for example, if you want to start running stereo ears, then your aux count on your desk quickly gets eaten up.

What digital desk would you recommend? Cost?

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

What digital desk would you recommend? Cost?

Going for the "not breaking the bank as much as others" mixer options. Basically anything that has the aux count that you want is good. These will tend to give you the preferable prefader based aux feed with a compressor and main EQ on each out) - 

Behringer XR16/XR18/X32 family (depending upon how many auxes you need) (Android/iOS/PC/Mac)

Mackie DL1608/DL806/DL32R (iOS only)

QSC Touchmix 8/16/30 

Allen & Heath QU family

RCF M18 (iOS)

The above are all ones I've used in anger and probably the key players.

The Soundcraft stuff is a little hit and miss from what I read (no hands on experience for myself though) - but lovely that it has a HTML interface so pretty much remote controllable from any device.

I'd also like to try the Studiomaster Digilive- seems like a good option for those scared by not having physical faders but not wanting to spend X32 or QU money.

I actually tend to run a pair of Dante enabled DL32Rs and run one exclusively as FoH and one exclusively for Monitors. That's some serious I/O in two small boxes as opposed to carrying around the GLD80 and stageboxes. Why the two DL32R desks I hear you ask? Well, if gives you the option to run different DSP for FoH compared to your inears. For example, you may want to EQ the bass for your inears is different to Front of House, similarly, you can run different compressors per instrument for Front of House and monitors... Also, it presents all of it's I/O without the need for additional break out boxes (unlike the X32 Rack for example). The other powerful thing about having Dante is that if I'm doing a big corporate and they have a Dante feed, I can replicate all the FoH to my monitor desk over a single cat5e and be completely in control of our own mix, complete with all the lovely processing.

Here's a good tip though, if you have a desk where you don't need to use all the channels, you can digitally patch one input to say, two channels, and EQ them differently there (but this does assume that you are sending onto your aux post EQ). Send one channel to front of house, the other to your monitor mix. For me, I need the full range of inputs that the DL32R gives me, so that's why I clone the inputs to another desk. Also gives me nice redundancy on a gig.

Best value for money mixer? Hard to beat the XR16 and XR18 - if it suits your I/O needs (main different is that the XR18 has more auxes, is a multitrack recording interface and has Ultranet (which in itself is a pretty cool monitoring solution))

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

Thanks. And you leave me without excuse for not making it +400 :D

Glad to help where I can - as you probably realise, I'm pretty passionate about getting people onto decent monitoring solutions... and the desk is not an insignificant part of it!