Why become a member? ×

Garden Music room advice?

20 hours ago, mikel said:

Wow, that's cheap for all that insulation.  You have done a great job for what is very little money in the attenuation you say is that good. Are the windows and door simply double glazed or are there two units in each opening?

There's actually three in each window (they were reclaimed from my parents old upvc windows and I had 6 identical panes) and the external door is a heavy solid unit with a memory foam mattress on the back of it. Not perfect but surprisingly effective. There's a double internal door leading through to the garage side and that's two oak doors (again reclaimed) back to back with a 4 inch void between them. 

It could be a lot better but it doesn't really need to be. I have an old isolation box from when I was cabinet making that I can put a guitar cab in if a guitarist wants to crank it and 9 times out of 10 were all using in ears and the electronic kit.

Before doing a full soundproof conversion on an integral double garage, you really REALLY want to be sure that you have no plans to move house for at least the next ten years.

Most house buyers are neither drummers nor bassists (weird, but true) and will be thoroughly offput by the way in which you have prevented them from parking the BMW / Harley in the garage.

2 hours ago, mrtcat said:

The foam panels were donated to me from a friends rehearsal room that closed. I don't really need acoustic treatment as we use modelling units for guitars and bass and an electronic kit with everyone on in ears.

Got it, that makes perfect sense!

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

Before doing a full soundproof conversion on an integral double garage, you really REALLY want to be sure that you have no plans to move house for at least the next ten years.

^ Definitely this. Soundproofing a big undertaking and not to be approached lightly.

I converted our own garage in such a way that it could very easily be used as a second lounge or utility room (or whatever) - i.e. no actual soundproofing, floating floor, etc, just acoustic treatment that could be removed at any time (OVER MY DEAD BODY!).

10 hours ago, mrtcat said:

There's actually three in each window (they were reclaimed from my parents old upvc windows and I had 6 identical panes) and the external door is a heavy solid unit with a memory foam mattress on the back of it. Not perfect but surprisingly effective. There's a double internal door leading through to the garage side and that's two oak doors (again reclaimed) back to back with a 4 inch void between them. 

It could be a lot better but it doesn't really need to be. I have an old isolation box from when I was cabinet making that I can put a guitar cab in if a guitarist wants to crank it and 9 times out of 10 were all using in ears and the electronic kit.

Hah. If you are using in ears and an electronic kit you could probably practice in the living room, we used to, with everything going through the desk. :D

10 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Most house buyers are neither drummers nor bassists (weird, but true) and will be thoroughly offput by the way in which you have prevented them from parking the BMW / Harley in the garage.

This is exactly why I was looking at a garden build to preserve the garage for if we ever want to sell... I know it’s never irreversible for a couple of big lads and a crowbar but it may put future buyers off.  It’s a big investment so I want to make the right choice tho. Nice problem to have I guess. 3rd world problems eh? 😄

2 hours ago, spiltmilk_2000 said:

This is exactly why I was looking at a garden build to preserve the garage for if we ever want to sell... I know it’s never irreversible for a couple of big lads and a crowbar but it may put future buyers off.  It’s a big investment so I want to make the right choice tho. Nice problem to have I guess. 3rd world problems eh? 😄

And don't forget, a decent garden room can add value and improve saleability. 

15 hours ago, mrtcat said:

And don't forget, a decent garden room can add value and improve saleability. 

Ha ha!  I've been trying to sell my house for over a year.  Anybody fancy a 5 bed farmhouse with 3 1/2 acres, polytunnel, greenhouse and log cabin for £310k ?  But that is in Scotland.

Edited by TorturedSaints

3 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Convert the log cabin into a recording studio and it'll sell within the week ...

I'll try anything - but one of the bedrooms is already set up as a studio!  

Sorry all -  I shouldn't have let my frustration spill out in this thread!