Why become a member? ×

New Wingbass

Grantd

17 hours ago, CameronJ said:

Indeed. The ability to use standard strings is huge for me. Opens up a whole world of possibilities and just generally makes life easier. Really can’t be arsed having to source a specific type of custom string!

I reckon someone on etsy could make you one. People make all sorts to order...

• 7 months later...

An update to my gig bag dilemma! I’ll be investing in a Large MIDI controller backpack case. There’s space for all sorts of stuff alongside the Wingbass itself, including a slot for up to a 17” laptop, which is perfect as that’s the size laptop I have!

0C1C0FBE-C0DA-4A0F-AADD-AF43B46B7C33.thumb.jpeg.ae13369dae527cbe6bfbfeed64eb1fb6.jpegB918B2A9-D9FD-41FA-A3DE-3EA44A0B8B97.thumb.jpeg.80c1b0d516c6db6b3de42ed5bfaf39bc.jpeg8D154079-640E-4FA5-8545-B9E8913DCBE1.thumb.jpeg.eb705134ff0a47d5a510b4a7f5cee8ed.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Had an email yesterday from Andy @ Wing Instruments. They’re just putting the finishing touches on my Wing. Things got somewhat delayed, partly due to NAMM amongst other things.

I decided to take the plunge and order the UDG MIDI Controller case I posted about above - it arrived today and is fantastic. Obviously I just have the empty case and no Wingbass yet but the guys who designed the case really thought it through. Very high quality. I’ll post pics once the Wing arrives!

EDIT: Just realised I’m actually hijacking @Grantd‘s thread so I’ll start a new one when the time comes :)

Edited by CameronJ
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

Thanks! Turns out they mistakenly dyed it blue rather than the black I specified...it does look cool but blue has never been my colour. So I’m gonna ask them to redo it xD

I’m now wondering whether I should have just gone for a straight P pup rather than the PJ now...

2 minutes ago, ped said:

Ah yes I remember you said you wanted black now. Wonder what the bass on the right is? 

Could be one of Chris Stambaugh’s own builds? The shape (particularly the upper horn) doesn’t look like any of the Wing variants.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ped said:

Awesome, so was the blue just a weird picture or a stage of the ultimately black finish? When’s it going to arrive!? Welcome to the club :)

No, they actually dyed it blue by mistake! But after some negotiation I got Andy to agree to do the purple that I originally wanted - it’s not officially offered as an option so it required a bit of improvisation on their end but I love how it’s turned out.

• Like 1

On 10/05/2018 at 09:59, SpondonBassed said:

My mate was caught with that when he wanted something from the 'States.

He'd got all the address details and delivery charges sorted out and something made him check.  When he found out about an additional charge from PP he binned the transaction.  He will not buy from North America any more because of the undisclosed additional charges.

I bought a bass kit from Australia and was informed on the vendor's webpage of the additional import charges before I committed.  In this case I was happy to accept having been given opportunity to consider.  Good.

Loo on teh bright side, WTO rules and we'll have to go through this if we buy something from Europe...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, ped said:

Super cool 😎 how does it sound?

It sounds great! A few days ago I was questioning whether I should have just ordered a solo P pickup, but actually, having it in my hands now I definitely made the right call. Having both the P and the J allows me to use the blend knob as a kind of one-pot EQ.

Warm and Fat on the P, bright and articulate on the J and everything in between. And as I remember you saying many moons ago re: your own Wingbass, @ped, it sounds like a bass! There’s a bit of a learning curve getting my gigantic hands used to the uber short scale and narrow fret distances but I’ll see if I can get some sound samples recorded at some point this week.

Edited by CameronJ
  • Like 1