Why become a member? ×

New Wingbass

Grantd

40 minutes ago, only4 said:

Lovely 👌

Did you get it direct from the manufacturer or do they have other outlets?

I got mine directly, and it seems to be the best option. The "in stock" section of the site isn't updated all that often but if you email, then Andy is usually quick to respond with what's in progress or available.

• Thanks 1

Looks lovely! How are you getting on with it? I saw this one in stock and was tempted to get it turned fretless. Any mods planned? 

I’ve been chatting with another UK wingbasser who has a red left handed bass, so he should join in soon. Every bassist needs one of these!

I will definitely look at doing some mods, yours seems so versatile, but in the meanwhile I'll just play it every chance I get. The sound is good and it is the only 5 string I've got, so I need to practise a bit more on it. I played in through my Ashdown head with Markbass cab, both with and without octaver pedal and it just sounds awesome.

I was also concerned about reaching the strings, due to the single cut design, but so far it's no problem.

• Like 1

Love the fade on the body! I’ve been speaking to Andy @ Wingbass myself lately. Really helpful guy who is pretty much willing to do almost anything I’ve suggested, which is very cool. I’m saving up...!

edit: Saying that, based on the recent chat over in the ACG thread I may end up going the home grown route.

Edited by CameronJ
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Grantd said:

I will definitely look at doing some mods, yours seems so versatile, but in the meanwhile I'll just play it every chance I get. The sound is good and it is the only 5 string I've got, so I need to practise a bit more on it. I played in through my Ashdown head with Markbass cab, both with and without octaver pedal and it just sounds awesome.

I was also concerned about reaching the strings, due to the single cut design, but so far it's no problem.

If you want a stand for it (you know, so you can have it next to the sofa!) the Hercules Mini fits perfectly. 

8 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Love the fade on the body! I’ve been speaking to Andy @ Wingbass myself lately. Really helpful guy who is pretty much willing to do almost anything I’ve suggested, which is very cool. I’m saving up...!

edit: Saying that, based on the recent chat over in the ACG thread I may end up going the home grown route.

Excellent, let us know any updates 

3 hours ago, ped said:

Excellent, let us know any updates 

As below, plus $40 to have the fretboard dyed from the 0-12th fret. Still debating the microPOG option as I owned one a couple of years ago for a day and immediately returned it as I wasn’t a fan of the tone at the time. Andy has said he would happily install an Aguilar Octamizer for me though! That’d be another couple hundred bucks on top...

BB54A8BE-D436-41F7-A1B8-1C69718414F9.thumb.jpeg.386eff3ba049877d8e7cef84cbf66a78.jpeg

I’m thinking Aguilar or Nordstrand for the P-pickups. Leaning toward Aggy at the moment.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I’d love to try one.

dont think I could bring myself to spend that much on such a tiny thing though.

I know what you mean, it really ain’t cheap! But for me and my lifestyle/career it actually makes more sense to buy something this size than it does to spend the same money on a full scale instrument.

16 hours ago, CameronJ said:

As below, plus $40 to have the fretboard dyed from the 0-12th fret. Still debating the microPOG option as I owned one a couple of years ago for a day and immediately returned it as I wasn’t a fan of the tone at the time. Andy has said he would happily install an Aguilar Octamizer for me though! That’d be another couple hundred bucks on top...

BB54A8BE-D436-41F7-A1B8-1C69718414F9.thumb.jpeg.386eff3ba049877d8e7cef84cbf66a78.jpeg

I’m thinking Aguilar or Nordstrand for the P-pickups. Leaning toward Aggy at the moment.

Sounds cool. Even though it’s quite expensive, it’s probably about half you’d expect to pay for a custom full scale instrument I guess. Having found the perfect full scale bass this whole half scale thing is great fun. 

Interesting to use a split pickup. Given the scale length I wonder if the tonal difference will be amplified between the front and back portion of the pickup. If so, you could consider reversing the pickup too. 

As I got lucky with my Wing I’ll probably get a fretless next. Think it’ll really ‘sing’. Not sure whether to get a matching colour and wood type or go different. 

Can you imagine how cute a double gigbag would be lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ped said:

...Can you imagine how cute a double gigbag would be lol

I can indeed.

I worked out that my two paddle basses would fit in a standard Phender bass case 69 fashion.  I have the case but I haven't found anyone to modify the padding and lining yet.  I'm resigned to doing it myself and have put the job onto the long finger.  Trouble is, us bassists often have very long fingers.

4 hours ago, ped said:

Sounds cool. Even though it’s quite expensive, it’s probably about half you’d expect to pay for a custom full scale instrument I guess. Having found the perfect full scale bass this whole half scale thing is great fun. 

Interesting to use a split pickup. Given the scale length I wonder if the tonal difference will be amplified between the front and back portion of the pickup. If so, you could consider reversing the pickup too. 

As I got lucky with my Wing I’ll probably get a fretless next. Think it’ll really ‘sing’. Not sure whether to get a matching colour and wood type or go different. 

Can you imagine how cute a double gigbag would be lol

The split pickup is mainly aimed toward my collection of analog octavers. I may even put some Labella Black Nylon Tapes on it too. Honestly, the difference in tracking stability between my Sandberg VS4 (p-type) and my MTD Super 5 is pretty massive. All of my octavers track the Sandy like bloodhounds whereas the Super 5 is much more prone to glitching. I’m a little surprised they’ve never done a split P Wingbass before given how perfect they are for us bassists who are octave junkies.

You may have a good point re: reversing the pups - although the fact it’s tuned an octave up could mean it won’t make a blind bit of difference? I.e. it’s not much different to me just playing my Sandberg P high up the fretboard? If it were something like a Kala Ubass California (massively cut down scale but still tuned at normal bass pitch) I suspect there’d be a more vast difference to be found between standard and reverse orientation. Still, definitely worth investigating...

A concern i have is that because I’m going for a slightly extended scale compared to the standard Wingbass format, Andy won’t be able to provide me with a gigbag that fits and I’ll be in the lurch attempting to fashion something myself or have it swimming in a guitar bag. Another thing to think about! O.o 9_9

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CameronJ said:

The split pickup is mainly aimed toward my collection of analog octavers. I may even put some Labella Black Nylon Tapes on it too. Honestly, the difference in tracking stability between my Sandberg VS4 (p-type) and my MTD Super 5 is pretty massive. All of my octavers track the Sandy like bloodhounds whereas the Super 5 is much more prone to glitching. I’m a little surprised they’ve never done a split P Wingbass before given how perfect they are for us bassists who are octave junkies.

You may have a good point re: reversing the pups - although the fact it’s tuned an octave up could mean it won’t make a blind bit of difference? I.e. it’s not much different to me just playing my Sandberg P high up the fretboard? If it were something like a Kala Ubass California (massively cut down scale but still tuned at normal bass pitch) I suspect there’d be a more vast difference to be found between standard and reverse orientation. Still, definitely worth investigating...

A concern i have is that because I’m going for a slightly extended scale compared to the standard Wingbass format, Andy won’t be able to provide me with a gigbag that fits and I’ll be in the lurch attempting to fashion something myself or have it swimming in a guitar bag. Another thing to think about! O.o 9_9

What’s the reason for the longer scale? If you’re going to go small, might as well go SMALL - and half scale makes sense due to the use of standard strings etc. I’m not convinced that anything longer in the same octave would achieve a better sound. Then again it could be about feel, in which case you have my permission ;). You’re about twice as tall as me so think it might be about right! 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ped said:

What’s the reason for the longer scale? If you’re going to go small, might as well go SMALL - and half scale makes sense due to the use of standard strings etc. I’m not convinced that anything longer in the same octave would achieve a better sound. Then again it could be about feel, in which case you have my permission ;). You’re about twice as tall as me so think it might be about right! 

To be honest it’s almost entirely about feel. I don’t expect to gain much tonal,y to the extended scale but as a man of considerable size I reckon a little magnification may be in order! Really wish I’d badgered you to have a go on your Wingbass at the LBGS as I’m kinda shopping blind right now :facepalm:

6 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

To be honest it’s almost entirely about feel. I don’t expect to gain much tonal,y to the extended scale but as a man of considerable size I reckon a little magnification may be in order! Really wish I’d badgered you to have a go on your Wingbass at the LBGS as I’m kinda shopping blind right now :facepalm:

I’m in York if you’re ever nearby. I’ll give you a shout when I’m next in London. Would be nice to have a drink anyway. 

1 minute ago, ped said:

I’m in York if you’re ever nearby. I’ll give you a shout when I’m next in London. 

Well I’ll be on tour round the UK with my next acting gig from mid-July onwards. Due to be in York in March 2019...by which time I’ll likely already be the proud owner of a Wingbass :ph34r:

• Like 1