Why become a member? ×

The bug has bitten, early stages of planning for T-bird2

T-Bay

6 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

If you need to get rid of a maple/maple one I'm sure I could find a good home for it 😁

Most of them are 6-string electrics, I'm afraid - but does include a flame-maple/flame maple one of those, as it happens...;)

37 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Glad this is back on the active status :)

But I'm a bit confused...if you are going for a through neck, how are you planning to use a bolt-on as the donor?  I ask partly because, since moving to almost 100% neck-through designs, I've got a number of past bolt-on necks in my over-full bits box!  It would be jolly nice to find a use for some of them :D

Not a through neck sadly, I don’t have the tools (or knowledge) to make my own necks as yet. If you have any good four string necks for sale I would be interested. I picked this one up ‘because it wasn’t there’ and just seemed too nice to use once I collected it. Stupid really but seems a shame to strip a perfectly nice bass when some young lad would make good use of it. I have picked up a few now for the club I run at work and it amazes me what you get quality wise for £50-100 second hand.

9 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Most of them are 6-string electrics, I'm afraid - but does include a flame-maple/flame maple one of those, as it happens...;)

Hmmmmmm interesting? I was thinking of a new build concept called a 'donateabass' where you can only build it from donated parts are you up for it?? 😋

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

Not a through neck sadly, I don’t have the tools (or knowledge) to make my own necks as yet. If you have any good four string necks for sale I would be interested. I picked this one up ‘because it wasn’t there’ and just seemed too nice to use once I collected it. Stupid really but seems a shame to strip a perfectly nice bass when some young lad would make good use of it. I have picked up a few now for the club I run at work and it amazes me what you get quality wise for £50-100 second hand.

Ah - OK.  I'd remembered that your original spec was through neck but I think you're right to leave that to a bit further down the line - they bring a whole mountain range of new learning curves!

I've double checked but, as I had suspected, all the necks I've got in my box of bits are 6-string electrics.

While the thoughts to pass on the bass as-is is admirable, just a few musings:

• Many, if not most, modern low cost basses are perfectly playable and so there is always the opportunity for finding another one of equal value for the club
  • You need a decent, playable neck to be happy with the extra time, cost and effort of building a custom body to fit it.  If this feels good to play, use this one for your build and sell the body on ebay. 
  • If the neck is 'well, OK I suppose', then find another one and, if it's better, use that and donate the bass to the club.

Well - that's what I'd do, anyway.  I work on the basis that most budget bolt-on basses and guitars are essentially 'bitsa' builds using standard components anyway so the fact that that neck and that body happen to be assembled in this particular bass is just happen-chance.  Which is why I've got a load of random necks and bodies hanging around :lol:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, T-Bay said:

Slow progress on this due to work, finances and other projects.

i spotted a decent bass locally that I thought would be good as a neck donor and for the other odds and sods you need. Only problem is that when I picked it up it’s too nice to kill. But I don’t need another bass so what to do?

8F830006-ADB7-4260-8030-8230328ACB85.thumb.jpeg.974c8cc23a0568ccb163c0abe267f817.jpeg8049B5F6-199D-4A46-8F40-337A00068CF5.thumb.jpeg.3c87d3c8ce2d4aa9d67ac7c70581dc81.jpeg

It only owes me £60 and plays really nice. It seems a shame though to part it out. Looks much nicer in the flesh. So now have three options- 1, use it for bits as intended, 2, let someone else have a decent bass for little money and find something else, 3, keep it as a backup bass (already have one of those).

Option 2.  With a reasonable mark-up to cover costs and finder's fee I am sure it would still be an affordable starter bass with the bonus point of it having been assessed by a player as opposed to a shop assistant.  I mention the finder's fee because you say finance is one of your limitations and it is a fair charge to put upon an instrument that is ready to go.

1 hour ago, Jimothey said:

Hmmmmmm interesting? I was thinking of a new build concept called a 'donateabass' where you can only build it from donated parts are you up for it?? 😋

Could be a good fundraising project for a charity favoured by BC...?

1 hour ago, SpondonBassed said:

Option 2.  With a reasonable mark-up to cover costs and finder's fee I am sure it would still be an affordable starter bass with the bonus point of it having been assessed by a player as opposed to a shop assistant.  I mention the finder's fee because you say finance is one of your limitations and it is a fair charge to put upon an instrument that is ready to go.

I would be happy for,it to,go for what I paid for it. It’s just with holidays around the corner, A Capri project and a YV250 after money I have to prioritise a little at times. Still not sure what to do but will think on it. I have stuck it up locally with a little increase to allow for the now standard haggling, if the right person comes along I will let it go, if not it will donate neck, tuners and bridge plus a few little bits.

2 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Could be a good fundraising project for a charity favoured by BC...?

Yeah that's the idea there's a little local charity to me that is very diserving it's called 'help for James's' it's basically a charity set up to help people called James try and finish some of their outstanding projects because they are skint because their missus and kids spend all their hard owned money 😜

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1