Why become a member? ×

Rumble 500 V3 Combo - Revisited

discreet

19 hours ago, NHM said:

Just brought a v3 500 combo this week - and it is fab! But did some recording this afternoon with the DI, and the Master Level changes the DI out. This seems a bit weird = what's the logic to this? I tried coming out for the effects loop, but the Master Level controls this too...

The Rumble's post-eq/post-master xlr out is a point of contention with some users.  Personally, I prefer the post-eq because I want the sound I've dialed in going to FOH.  And I've read that many soundmen compliment the bassist on the eq'd sound. 

I think the logic is that it works like putting a mic on the cab, both change the signal going to the board.  The xlr just bypasses the actual mic.  Also, I've read where the xlr's volume change is not very large in a FOH situation, that a big change onstage is just a small change on the board.  I've read that some soundmen didn't even notice some changes.  I have less feeling either way about this, as I've never had any complaints.  But I know I've had much less hassle with my Rumble 500 than the rest of the band with their rigs at sound check.

Edited by G-Dog
Spelling

51 minutes ago, G-Dog said:

The Rumble's post-eq/post-master xlr out is a point of contention with some users. I've never had any complaints.  But I know I've had much less hassle with my Rumble 500 than the rest of the band with their rigs at sound check.

It's not ideal on paper, but it certainly wasn't a deal-breaker for me. If one thinks one will be bothered by it, one can buy a proprietary DI box, can't one? In the real world, sound engineers invariably prefer to use their own anyway.

Edited by discreet

Used mine on a gig last night. Master volume about 10, put eq at noon. The sound guy asked me to boost the high a little and it was done. What I did find strange is the di seems to be effected by any changes in the eq and master volume, which some of you guys are also saying. No option for just running a flat signal but it`s no biggie. 

If it had been a problem, the guy could have used my or his di box but the sound - P bass into Rumble - was sorted in 1 min which equals a happy sound guy!

This combo is so easy to get a decent sound out of very quickly. 

1 minute ago, jezzaboy said:

This combo is so easy to get a decent sound out of very quickly. 

Absolutely, that's it's main selling point - it's totally plug and play. I can turn up with combo, strap, lead and bass and be ready to go in less than two minutes. I regularly rock up to rehearsals an hour late because I know it takes everyone else at least that long before theyre ready to play... had enough of standing around waiting for other people to do their thing. 

I still use mine (including the 210 extension cab) even though I'm mainly using Helix and FR800 just because it sounds so good and is dead easy to get a good sound out of, especially with a Precision. Only annoyance is the the extension out is 1/4" not speakon, but the cab input is speakon!  

I changed the logos too to match the silver cloth for that vintage look Fender part number 099-4093-000

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, therealting said:

So I was looking at getting the 2x10” extension cab for my v3 500 combo, and it appears that the extension cab is heavier than the combo! Might I be better off getting a second one and stacking them than a cab?

It's because it has heavy side handles! Apparently the 15" cab goes very well with the 2x10 combo. Not tried it myself though. Another combo would make for a killer rig. You could have two levels of EQ, have effects on one combo, etc...

• Like 1

Just now, discreet said:

It's because it has heavy side handles! Apparently the 15" cab goes very well with the 2x10 combo. Not tried it myself though. Another combo would make for a killer rig. You could have two levels of EQ, have effects on one combo, etc...

The 15” cab isn’t the same width which really annoys me... why did they do that?!

On 03/06/2018 at 12:46, G-Dog said:

The Rumble's post-eq/post-master xlr out is a point of contention with some users.  Personally, I prefer the post-eq because I want the sound I've dialed in going to FOH.  And I've read that many soundmen compliment the bassist on the eq'd sound. 

I think the logic is that it works like putting a mic on the cab, both change the signal going to the board.  The xlr just bypasses the actual mic.  Also, I've read where the xlr's volume change is not very large in a FOH situation, that a big change onstage is just a small change on the board.  I've read that some soundmen didn't even notice some changes.  I have less feeling either way about this, as I've never had any complaints.  But I know I've had much less hassle with my Rumble 500 than the rest of the band with their rigs at sound check.

I was concerned about the volume issues from the DI when I had my Rumble but it never caused any problems with the soundmen I worked with, I always prefer the DI to be post EQ, at least you have half a chance of getting the sound you want FOH

• Thanks 1

I would have preferred the DI to be post EQ but pre-master, so you could adjust stage volume without affecting the FOH mix. Also, I did a gig Saturday with low stage volume, and the FOH mixer struggled to get a good signal. The one time I didn’t bring along my Sadowsky DI...

Edited by therealting

12 minutes ago, therealting said:

I would have preferred the DI to be post EQ but pre-master, so you could adjust stage volume without affecting the FOH mix. Also, I did a gig Saturday with low stage volume, and the FOH mixer struggled to get a good signal. The one time I didn’t bring along my Sadowsky DI...

Yes I’ve had this issue too. My Markbass CMD combo has a separate line out control which is very useful indeed 

57 minutes ago, discreet said:

In that case a Rumble V3 100 Combo would do it for you. Also good for rehearsal and gigs, should the need ever arise.

I agree, imo the new V3 cab voicing's contribute a lot to what makes these stand out from the previous versions.

Interesting stuff and all good food for thought.  I am trying to start saving up to upgrade my cheapo Behringer combo and thought I might go down the separate head and cab route.  I thought maybe a Hartke LH500 and then I could use the DI out from that into the PA if I didn't want to have to lug a cab to a gig.

For the same sort of price as a head and cab I'm starting to think I'd be better off getting a DI box and Rumble 500 to do the same job.

Anyone got any recommendations?

3 hours ago, Unknown_User said:

Interesting stuff and all good food for thought.  I am trying to start saving up to upgrade my cheapo Behringer combo and thought I might go down the separate head and cab route.  I thought maybe a Hartke LH500 and then I could use the DI out from that into the PA if I didn't want to have to lug a cab to a gig.

For the same sort of price as a head and cab I'm starting to think I'd be better off getting a DI box and Rumble 500 to do the same job.

Anyone got any recommendations?

The V3 Rumble 500's all have DI-outs, if that is the version you are meaning?

Personally (and normally I'm doing smallish gigs) but even with full-Pa support I like to hear my cab behind me and the 500 combo is a one hand lift and goes louder than I have ever needed.

30 minutes ago, Highfox said:

The V3 Rumble 500's all have DI-outs, if that is the version you are meaning?

Personally (and normally I'm doing smallish gigs) but even with full-Pa support I like to hear my cab behind me and the 500 combo is a one hand lift and goes louder than I have ever needed.

The reason I mentioned a DI was if for some gigs I could dispense completely with an amp and just run through the PA.  It'd be good to not have to drive to some gigs so I could have a drink.  Which I could do if I only had a backpack and bass case to lug around!  Most of the places I play are just pubs, so I was hoping that would suffice.  I've ordered a cheap DI box to try it out in the practice room sometime.

Though I hadn't considered the effect of not standing in front of the amp.  That's a good point.  When we set up, the PA speakers are always in front of me so that might be a worry.  I can normally hear vocals without a problem though, so maybe it'd be ok.

I want to get rid of my existing combo anyway.  It might be best to go for a Fender combo to replace it rather than going the separates route, which seems like a slippery slope to spending way more money than I should!  I played through a house Fender Bassman 200 combo last year at one gig and I really liked the sound out of it.

If you want a good budget DI box that is also a cracking bass preamp you could do much worse than a Behringer BDI-21, which is less than £30 new. I carry mine for emergencies and use it all the time for recording. Don't be put off by the brand, it's a good thing.

It also warms up any amp a treat.

35 minutes ago, discreet said:

If you want a good budget DI box that is also a cracking bass preamp you could do much worse than a Behringer BDI-21, which is less than £30 new. I carry mine for emergencies and use it all the time for recording. Don't be put off by the brand, it's a good thing.

It also warms up any amp a treat.

Cheers for the recommendation.  I actually already ordered a Behringer DI600P.  It's a passive DI which I know I shouldn't be using with a passive bass, but I have a few pedals to go in front of it so I'm hoping they will heat the signal up enough before it gets there and then the passive DI will remove any noise.  I'll have to see how it goes!

I only want something cheap and cheerful for this really.  So I might check the active one you recommend out if this one doesn't fit the bill.  It's only £17 online.  Could you put the BDI-21 into or out from pedals and then into a passive DI, or am I in the grip of some sort of mania with this now?

On 05/09/2018 at 18:37, White Zombie said:

I was looking at buying a Rumble 350 head with an older Rumble 410 cab. Anyone any experience of the 350 head? Fella's selling them for £375, was unsure if that was a decent price or not, couldn't find much info on the head.

It'll only be for playing in the house sadly, so just looking for a decent sound.

Why not just get the Rumble 500 V3? There’s one in the Marketplace here for £300.

7 hours ago, White Zombie said:

I would but the buddy selling it is in Yorkshire and I'm just short of Glasgow.

The classified sections on this forum are torture for me, so much great stuff but too far away lol

I’m sure the head could be couriered quite easily, it’s quite compact.