Why become a member? ×

Brand new Ashdown 2x10 combo failed on first use...

torby

Ok, bit of a dilemma, purchased brand new from a well known music store (quite a distance away so had to be mail order) an Ashdown Combo 2x10 version 300 watt. On first use (a small wedding gig) after an hour it cut out, no sound, no lights no nothing, vu meter not lighting at all.

let it sit for 30 minutes during the break then switched on for second half, played one song and it dies again.

so here’s the problem, if I return as”faulty” in my experience I can already see a guy in the warehouse banging out an AC DC tune, sounding great and saying “no problem” , but I already know it will take at least a minimum of an hour before (if even that) the amp switches off again. I play every weekend but I can’t afford to wait a week every time it has to be returned because of an “intermittent” fault that might not show until the third return!

as there’s a stretch of water involved in the return and the typical problems with returning gear with “intermittent faults”, “sorry mate could find nothing wrong” am I better returning under the distance selling regulations (yes it will cost me to return probably) and I hate to do that because when it worked, I loved the sound?... get a refund? buy a different amp? or go down the “faulty” route?

sadly trust pilot for this firm are a bit of a mixed bag, so there’s no real way of determining how good a company they are.

in my situation, what would you be inclined to do? Really a bit of a dilemma.

if this is the wrong section, can a mod move please?

Also message Ashdown to see if this is a fault they`re aware of, and if they can advise as to how to progress. I`ve found them excellent on customer service issues and having their advice to provide the seller with could be a real help.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi T-Bay, thanks for your reply, I’m just worried if I say it’s faulty and they can’t get it to fail will I be stuck on Groundhog Day going back and forth with them not able to find the fault.

lozz196, that sounds like a plan as well, it must be an older model as it’s not on the Ashdown site, plus it looks like it was delivered to the retailers warehouse over a year ago, 

on closer inspection, there seems to be bits where the tolex wasn’t glued properly,a wee tear on the base of the unit and a screw had come out of the corner protection, maybe I’m just looking too closely at it now because of what has happened and I’m just disillusioned....or maybe I’m thinking, this isn’t a new unit and this has happened to the previous buyer ( must check the serial numbers on the box) but if I return it, I wouldn’t want this to happen to anyone else...I’m just getting paranoid now....lol

it did sound great and for £299 was good value...but if reliability is a problem.

a few friends at the wedding have said maybe it was a bit of false economy and I should look at MarkBass or something....Spose it could’ve happened because I’ve changed from guitar to bass and the gods are against me.

16 minutes ago, torby said:

it did sound great and for £299 was good value...but if reliability is a problem.

a few friends at the wedding have said maybe it was a bit of false economy and I should look at MarkBass or something....Spose it could’ve happened because I’ve changed from guitar to bass and the gods are against me.

Well, its not good value if it doesn't work :D

Having said that, I doubt it is an Ashdown amp thing specifically, things can and do fail when they are new, from all brands. 

I would sent it back as faulty, as it is faulty, describe the fault, that after an hour it cut out, so it cuts out when hot, then not accept anything other than a replacement or a refund if they can't replace. No reason you have to worry about how you approach it, if they know it cuts out after an hour they are either going to just send it back to the manufacturer (most likely) or test it for an hour (unlikely).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Defnitely approach Ashdown if the shop can't (or won't) help. In fact I would probably go straight to them. They've always gone out of their way to help me in the past.

Yep - Ashdown are a fantastic company to deal with.

• Thanks 1

I'd be inclined to go ask for a refund myself.

That said, if it's the 'long distance retailer' I think it is, then I had to return a faulty item to them. They were very good. Very prompt and the issue was fixed. All told, I think it was less than 2 weeks to sort out and that included transit time. It was much better than the service I received from a local music store.

Still, I'd go for a refund.

• Thanks 1

Hi Torby , you said a stretch of water as involved , If you are on the IoW  you can borrow one of my Ashdown rigs until you get yours sorted , plus I'm going over next week & could possibly take it down to the Ashdown chaps or get a friend who does amp repairs to cast an eye over it , if that's any help .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EBS_freak said:

What’s happening then? Good to see the Ashdown crews customer service in action! They’ll get you back on the road in no time!

Noticed this a couple of times lately - folks take the time to put the post up and then disappear and don't respond to any of the advice/help... o.O

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, LewisK1975 said:

Noticed this a couple of times lately - folks take the time to put the post up and then disappear and don't respond to any of the advice/help... o.O

Does seem odd... maybe he's taken advantage of a last minute holiday and is out of reach?

Torby if you are there and this is genuine then lets get you sorted... 

• Thanks 1

Hi Torby, I wouldn't worry too much yet, I recently sold my trusty 14 year old MAG300 2x10 combo on here about a year ago and when it arrived, the buyer said it was dead.  This had never happened to me before.  Thankfully he was willing to open it up and found an internal spade connector on the mains side had fallen off in transit.  It might be something as simple as that being loose.

I know it is not what you want in a new cab, but I'm sure Ashdown will sort you out.  

If it's any consolation, I paid a lot more than that each for my two "boutique" Barefaced cabs and have no end of issues with the Tolex peeling, and Alex just keeps fobbing me off.....

Edited by Huge Hands
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Huge Hands said:

If it's any consolation, I paid a lot more than that each for my two "boutique" Barefaced cabs and have no end of issues with the Tolex peeling, and Alex just keeps fobbing me off.....

A Barefaced with peeling Tolex, surely not, next you’ll be telling us that the edges chip really easily, the handles are coming loose and there’s a strange rattling noise inside the cab. . .

• Haha 1