Why become a member? ×

Mesa Walkabout Scout

odub

Ok guys help me out with some advice.

I’m looking at upgrading my amplifier; currently I have a Trace Elliot 715 (the old style). It’s a heavy beast though and I don’t have a car (live in Central London), meaning taxis and tubes everywhere. I’ve been getting more annoyed at turning up for rehearsals and using broken old amp heads and carting tha thing up and down flights of stairs. Plus I've always had that amp and it might be time for a change.

So I thought about buying a Superfly, and just using whatever cabs are around. Or perhaps a Little Mark.
Then I got thinking if I was going to do that I might as well but some very light cabs to go with.

So basically, my requirement is, very light and I mean: wouldn’t be that bad on the Tube at rush hour with just a head and a bass. Modular, so that I could split the thing up when needed. It wouldn’t need to be that loud, as long as it can compete over a drum kit.

So, finally after starting out looking at the cheap options, I ended up looking at a Mesa walkabout. To be honest the amp is probably a lot better than my playing deserves but I’m a great believer in buying the right thing first time and not having to upgrade later. It would be at the higher end of my budget and then some. But it seems to tick all the boxes.

What do people think? I play blues and “post-punk” and have been playing on and off for about 4 years.

A London bassist I know uses an AI Focus and Epifani UL-112 for the same reasons, though his tonal needs are skewed towards jazz, funk and reggae. I think you'd be better off with a lightweight head and separate lightweight cab than a combo, even if the latter can be divided. The Walkabout is a nice piece of kit for blues and rock. Maybe you could combine it with a BFM Omni 10.5, as built by Thumper? £220 for a 25lbs 1x10" that goes loud.

Alex

[quote name='odub' post='34628' date='Jul 20 2007, 01:28 PM']Ok guys help me out with some advice.

What do people think? I play blues and “post-punk” and have been playing on and off for about 4 years.[/quote]

Well I had serious GAS for one of these a couple of months ago and got to try a used one at Electromusic at Doncaster. It sounded fantastic for its size and I nearly bought it on the spot but he was asking £800 for it, which I thought was expensive. They really are great combos and I came away planning to buy a new one and a seperate 4x10 or something so I could take the head out and use it for bigger rooms but I couldn't find anyone stocking a new one at a sensible price so I gave up.

Great little combo, sounds really nice and plenty loud enough for small rooms.

Odub,

I have a Walkabout 112 (12" driver) and cannot recommend it enough. I play mostly blues and Rock 'n Roll and its ****kin' awesome. The tone is absolutely on the money and it'll definately make your trousers flap......
:)

Its not made of balsa wood, but weight for sound I believe it would take some beating.... (actually the cab doesn't weigh that much as the amp is a fair chunk) that being said if you have teh luxury of having cabs available at some of your venues, its only 4 screws to take the head out and the Mesa gig bag for the Walkabout head is spot on. You would them have the flexibilty of a seperate head and a cab good enough for small venues (Pubs- village halls). If your gonna lug it about a lot (head in teh cab) invest in a padded gig bag for it as the Mesa one is OK in a house but doesnt provide a lot of protection, also be careful how you put it down to protect that downward facing speaker.

I bought mine without having played it first ( "You Muppet" I hear everyone shouting!) but I had played a Mesa head through a (Ashdown I think) cab so I knew it was 'my sound'.....

I appreciate I'm not the most experinced on here and I dont yet play regular gigs..... but my ***itarist ( mentor and friend ) is and has been, and he firmly belives its the best bass amp he's heard for the money! In fact his jaw hit the floor when I told him how much I paid, as he thought it played way above its cost..... He even got excited playing his Strat through it!!!

Service from the UK importers is a bit spasmodic, unless you ring them and get a definate answer from someone.

I've had it 6 months now and I still grin everytime I plug in and turn the volume up.......

You need to make your own decsion, but I wouldnt have anything else now......

I have just purchased a mesa walkabout head that replaces a markbass littlemark. I think its fantastic it has a much fuller sound than the little mark bit more top and sings on a fretless.

It weighs in at twice the weight of the littlemark but still light in terms of amps. Tbh for the price difference and it being a heavier amp if i was buying new the littlemark would win without a shadow of a doubt. Cant beat it on price and weight. But the tone the mesa gives out is stunning first gig I did with it my guitarist and drummer were loving it. But i picked up the head for £440 in good condition so I couldnt pass it up and Im not geting rid of it. Slightly heavier but suits my ACG a treat.

Im shortly going to be doing a comparison between the BFM Omni 10 and 10.5's against my markbass 102HF cab with the littlemark and with the mesa so I'll report back.

FYI I paid 800 for mine 6 months old and a special order to boot........

Remember thats 800 for a head and cab (2nd hand)...... The cheapest you'll get one new is £1150.

Cant comment on teh Little mark as I haven't tried it.....

I can tell you it wont have 2 12AX7's driving the pre-amp........ :)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='34737' date='Jul 20 2007, 03:32 PM']FYI I paid 800 for mine 6 months old and a special order to boot........

Remember thats 800 for a head and cab (2nd hand)...... The cheapest you'll get one new is £1150.

Cant comment on teh Little mark as I haven't tried it.....

I can tell you it wont have 2 12AX7's driving the pre-amp........ :)[/quote]

Was that private or from a shop? I just saw the special order options - wow.

Mine was mintier than an unopened box of Matchmakers and was sent to me in its original Mesa shipping box..... I believe I was lucky..... It was from a a very pleasent chap on eBay who had ordered it (waited 10 months for it to arrive) kept and used it for recording for 6 months and then sold it to me because he was Moving out of his folks to buy his own flat......

Actaully the more I think about it I was really in the right place at the right time..... Cost him 1425 with the custom options......

Needless to say it has a very loving home now.........

:wub:

Hey Homer, happy birthday dude !!!!

[quote name='The Burpster' post='34891' date='Jul 20 2007, 07:42 PM']Mine was mintier than an unopened box of Matchmakers and was sent to me in its original Mesa shipping box..... I believe I was lucky..... It was from a a very pleasent chap on eBay who had ordered it (waited 10 months for it to arrive) kept and used it for recording for 6 months and then sold it to me because he was Moving out of his folks to buy his own flat......

Actaully the more I think about it I was really in the right place at the right time..... Cost him 1425 with the custom options......

Needless to say it has a very loving home now.........

:wub:
Hey Homer, happy birthday dude !!!![/quote]

Thats a deal and a half isn't it. You should spread the love and sell it to me :)

[quote name='odub' post='34948' date='Jul 20 2007, 09:20 PM']Thats a deal and a half isn't it. You should spread the love and sell it to me :)[/quote]

You wish......! :huh:

Seriously tho' ,when I bought mine there was 3 on the go on ebay all in Ingerland..... mine another black 112 and a black 115. I guess they're a bit like busses....... It is worth being patient for.....

I've just emailled the owner of the other 112 to see if he still has it for you!!!! Keep your fingres x-ed, today might be your lucky day!

[quote name='The Burpster' post='35094' date='Jul 21 2007, 08:26 AM']You wish......! :)
Seriously tho' ,when I bought mine there was 3 on the go on ebay all in Ingerland..... mine another black 112 and a black 115. I guess they're a bit like busses....... It is worth being patient for.....
I've just emailled the owner of the other 112 to see if he still has it for you!!!! Keep your fingres x-ed, today might be your lucky day![/quote]

Sweet thanks alot.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='36685' date='Jul 25 2007, 07:25 AM']Odub.....

You out there?

Anyone know Odub personally? I need to get intouch with him......

Bob.[/quote]

Sorry, I had a day off yesterday and am pretty much uncontatable since where I stay has no internet or phone signal. PM sent back though now.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a wee cautionary note. I notice from the original post that portability on the tube was a requirement. I have a Walkabout Scout 112 and certainly would not regard it as being in any way suitable to cart around the tube. Great combo though and one I would thoroughly recommend.