Why become a member? ×

'Third eye' on stage

Wylie

The trio I play with doesn't play out all that often. Not for lack of trying; up here in the Vermont woods there isn't a lot of call for jazz trios, or jazz, period. Consequently (I guess), when we do play out, I have a terrible third eye hang-up: like having an eye on the audience even if both eyes ostensibly are focused on my trio-mates and on what we're doing. Even though I'm aware of the problem, I still find myself distracted by the slightest thing, movement, voice--you name it.

Anyone out there have this problem? Is there a fix??

Thanks.

Played a social club last Christmas with unbelievably bright stage lights pointing at us the whole time while the rest of the room was in complete darkness. Killed the atmosphere for us as we struggled to see if the crowd were even still there let alone know if they were enjoying themselves! We asked if they could be turned down/ off for the second half and were told they were the only stage lights they have so presumably every band that plays there suffers the same. Stops you worrying about the audience though!

Edited by T-Bay

Thanks, T-bay. Funny, isn't it? The few times we've played on a traditionally lighted stage--lights in your eyes, audience dark--I've had no third-eye problem. I'm aware they're there, but the separation, however artificial, seems to do the trick.

Can't say i've ever really noticed anything i wasn't expecting to be honest.

Altho couple years ago while depping in a 70's covers band at a caravan park i was surprised when a few kids wandered on to the dance floor on our first song and were simply having a great time dancing about. Can't remember the song but coming from a heavy rock background i had never played to an audience that weren't all adults (or claimed to be) and were either stoned or happily drunk.

Dave

2 hours ago, gjones said:

I have the opposite problem, I never look at the audience, unless there is a fight or a couple start having sex. I'm oblivious to them all :)

Gotta laugh at the couple having sex comment. Don't think i've ever played one of those type of clubs. Not even sure how i would react to seeing that :crazy:

Dave 

11 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Gotta laugh at the couple having sex comment. Don't think i've ever played one of those type of clubs. Not even sure how i would react to seeing that :crazy:

Dave 

It can happen anywhere. Many years ago I was in the students union of a very well respected university which shall remain nameless, my mate and I were in the back end of the place with a band I can’t even remember the name of on (would have been either people at the uni or a local originals band). I looked over the see the lass next bay over slide her pants off and then sit on this guys lap. Much squirming went on as me and my mate tried to gradually move away without making it obvious we had clocked what was happening. They seemed completely indifferent to anything else going on. It was a small room and the band would have had a full view of the whole thing. One of the strangest things I have seen I at a gig.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, T-Bay said:

It can happen anywhere. Many years ago I was in the students union of a very well respected university which shall remain nameless, my mate and I were in the back end of the place with a band I can’t even remember the name of on (would have been either people at the uni or a local originals band). I looked over the see the lass next bay over slide her pants off and then sit on this guys lap. Much squirming went on as me and my mate tried to gradually move away without making it obvious we had clocked what was happening. They seemed completely indifferent to anything else going on. It was a small room and the band would have had a full view of the whole thing. One of the strangest things I have seen I at a gig.

So no pics then :crazy::crazy:

DavexD

• Haha 1

The related problem I've had with the most high-profile local jam which I play from time to time is that the stage lights bounce off my strings so brightly that I can't see the frets. I know I shouldn't need to, but it's a noisy intimidating environment, and not being able to check visually that my left hand fingers are in the right place makes it harder. I tried to fix it by turning away from the lights and was accused (by another bass player!) of showing off that I had a nice ar5e. (1) I'm not sure that's true and more importantly (2) it's not exactly a supportive comment from a fellow musician :-(

23 hours ago, josie said:

I tried to fix it by turning away from the lights and was accused (by another bass player!) of showing off that I had a nice ar5e. (1) I'm not sure that's true and more importantly (2) it's not exactly a supportive comment from a fellow musician :-(

Why would it not be a supportive comment  Josie , a little banter and a compliment into the bargain . I suppose context is key though 

18 hours ago, lurksalot said:

Why would it not be a supportive comment  Josie , a little banter and a compliment into the bargain . I suppose context is key though 

I don't mind compliments, but I'd rather they were on how I play! You're right, the context is quite a competitive fast-paced environment with little sympathy for anyone who isn't feeling completely confident. And I've never seen another woman there with any instrument (and very seldom a woman singer), I've definitely been made to feel unwanted by some peeps there (not all). Now that my band has started to get a few gigs, I probably won't go back.