Why become a member? ×

Recommend to me a new bridge!

Elfrasho

Got a fender US special jazz, and I had to replace the saddles as the screws were seized up. I bought some on the cheap and I have a feeling they're moving slightly when I play, affecting the playability. 

So, I'm thinking I'd be as well just to get a new bridge. There seems to be about a million of them, ranging from a tenner to Alot, so just wondering what I should go for! 

Think Id prefer a high mass bridge in chrome, but apart from that, not got any preferences, 

Any suggestions? What benefit is there going for a really expensive one, over say the fender himass iv Bridge, at about 40 quid? 

There is a Gotoh version of the BBOT that is a direct replacement. There is one about £30 ish, the 203B-4 and the TI 203B-4 that is the same style but has titanium saddles. A very nice bit of kit that keeps the same sort of look.

JJ Burnel has one of these models on his sig bass.

1 hour ago, jezzaboy said:

There is a Gotoh version of the BBOT that is a direct replacement. There is one about £30 ish, the 203B-4 and the TI 203B-4 that is the same style but has titanium saddles. A very nice bit of kit that keeps the same sort of look.

Gotoh is a great replacement bridge, also nice and heavy.

Hipshot kickass, just fitted one to my jazz, huge improvement in tone, adjustable spacing, no grooves to cut unlike an original badass, and drops straight onto a fender. Paid £49 delivered from an eBay seller in the US.

17 minutes ago, GBH said:

Hipshot kickass, just fitted one to my jazz, huge improvement in tone, adjustable spacing, no grooves to cut unlike an original badass, and drops straight onto a fender. Paid £49 delivered from an eBay seller in the US.

I bought one from a US ebay shop as well and it’s great for the adjustment, came in less than a week!

4 hours ago, Elfrasho said:

Got a fender US special jazz, and I had to replace the saddles as the screws were seized up. I bought some on the cheap and I have a feeling they're moving slightly when I play, affecting the playability. 

So, I'm thinking I'd be as well just to get a new bridge. There seems to be about a million of them, ranging from a tenner to Alot, so just wondering what I should go for! 

Think Id prefer a high mass bridge in chrome, but apart from that, not got any preferences, 

Any suggestions? What benefit is there going for a reall y expensive one, over say the fender himass iv Bridge, at about 40 quid? 

I've got the fender hi mass on my p bass deluxe special. It's absolutely rock solid, the saddles sit on tracks on the bridge plate, no chance of sideways movement. No protruding screws or sharp edges either.

I've also got a Babicz fitted to my squier jazz. 

Fantastically engineered bit of kit, it's very quick and easy to set up and the cam system for adjusting the action is surprisingly satisfying. Again  no sharp edges or protruding screws.

Edited by Cato

Omega (Badass) for me  - have used Badass bridges for over 30 years on every fender I've every had. Huge upgrade in my opinion.

I've also used the Gotoh 201 a couple of times and that is also a great bridge  ... it is however a slightly darker sounding dynamic and lacks some of the Omega overtones.

Personally not so keen on Badass.

I'm a fan of the Babicz and have them on two of my P basses.  They are so well constructed, easy to adjust and  as others have said, no finger damaging protrusions.

When I want a more traditional looking replacement, then I go for the Gotoh unit.

I've got a BBOT, which replaced the original hi mass super adjustable thing (a saddle broke).  No difference in sound, but the hi mass looked far better.
If I was replacing the BBOT, a Babicz FCH would probably be the choice (just for looks).

On 05/05/2018 at 13:28, jezzaboy said:

On 05/05/2018 at 14:52, Wylie said:

Gotoh is a great replacement bridge, also nice and heavy.

These would be my choice, as they pretty much keep the looks of the original.

I put a Gotoh B201-4 on my Jazz last year. The holes line up perfectly with the standard bent bit o' tin, I didn't need to shim the neck and it's got a good heft to it. Definitely recommended. Mine's 2nd hand and it feels built to last!