Why become a member? ×

First attempt of a thru-neck bass

Jimothey

1 hour ago, Jimothey said:

Morning I've routed out for the truss rod with a 6mm bit and went just a smidge over 9mm deep, and I've thinned down the wings to 35mm

Hopefully on my lunch I'm going to do the taper of the neck and try and get the wings all glued on 

Here's the link for how stewmac tell you to fit a truss rod

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/Learn_About_Truss_Rod_Installation_and_Repair/Truss_Rod_Installation.html&ved=0ahUKEwis2pv-6NjbAhWEA8AKHR8NB8UQFggnMAE&usg=AOvVaw2OroVE96fn1E7jqIdJMHNX 😀

Well it certainly says that! :lol:

Interestingly it doesn't on one of their other articles on the same subject where it stresses the importance of keeping glue away from the slot. 

Anyway, unless someone can prove to me it's a good idea, I'm personally not allowing epoxy anywhere near the rod slot on installation. ^_^ 

• Like 1

Well it's official Sapele, Polycarbonate and Gorilla glue not a good combo!! 

I thought the neck was solid but NO!!!!! It's just split when I was gluing on the wings 🤬

So last minute alteration I found some Oak strip wood so the neck is now Sapele and Oak 

_20180619_133200.thumb.JPG.d9c194600b4fb40c882d4a4a95676f53.JPG

I'll have to redo the taper when it's dry then glue on the wings... But if I do say so myself it was starting to looking good 😁 

Edited by Jimothey

Very sorry to hear it didn't work.

It's given me a few ideas though.  I found a bit of planed sapele at Harlow's of Derby the other day when I was getting timber for a garden furniture repair.  I have undertaken a new project recently so I can't start on it for a bit if at all.

1 hour ago, SpondonBassed said:

Very sorry to hear it didn't work.

It's given me a few ideas though.  I found a bit of planed sapele at Harlow's of Derby the other day when I was getting timber for a garden furniture repair.  I have undertaken a new project recently so I can't start on it for a bit if at all.

Intriguing!?! What's the project then??? 🤔 

Intriguing!?! What's the project then??? 🤔 

It's not really a project yet but for a long time I've wanted to do a neck for myself with lit side dots.  I'm not fond of the front facing ones.  They are a bit vulgar and are of no use to me while playing.  That said, a bit of flash harry can get you noticed when you are surrounded by equals.  Along you came with the notion of a sandwich of timber and plastic...

What I might do is make a body with a sandwich filling of translucent material.  I'd light it from within so as it defines the body outline of the bass when the stage lighting goes down then just buy a neck with LED side dots.  There are some wrinkles in my plan that I need to work out.

Of course it could be another of my fanciful flights through my own imagination but you did ask.

PS: On reading back I realised that you might be asking about the project I said I had just subscribed to.  That's the Basschat podcast.

Edited by SpondonBassed

They both sound interesting,

Basses with LEDs isn't really my thing but I'd be interested in seeing how you do it and how it turns out?? I'm really not keen on fret dots either I much prefer a block! I'm not sure on this build to whether to try and do the blocks out if the veneer I'm going to use or leave the fretboard plain?

What you going to cover on the podcasts?.......

Edited by Jimothey

Sounds great - I would be happy with side dot leds. I don't really like much on the fingerboard of a bass, it doesn't seem to have a point, but side dots are useful. My Maruszczyk has luminays but I never remember to charge them, so less useful then you would think.

Leds though, that would work. Although I suspect I would just use individual leds.

They both sound interesting,

Basses with LEDs isn't really my thing but I'd be interested in seeing how you do it and how it turns out?? I'm really not keen on fret dots either I much prefer a block! I'm not sure on this build to whether to try and do the blocks out if the veneer I'm going to use or leave the fretboard plain?

What you going to cover on the podcasts?.......

These should bring you up to date:

Basschat Podcast
Basschat Podcast Q&A

9 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Sounds great - I would be happy with side dot leds. I don't really like much on the fingerboard of a bass, it doesn't seem to have a point, but side dots are useful. My Maruszczyk has luminays but I never remember to charge them, so less useful then you would think.

Leds though, that would work. Although I suspect I would just use individual leds.

I was thinking about an LED colour changer in the body that is piped out through the neck via fibre optics.  Probably a bit ambitious.

3 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

I was thinking about an LED colour changer in the body that is piped out through the neck via fibre optics.  Probably a bit ambitious.

Well, not that bad an idea, if you have the fibre optics then if the leds fail you don't have to take the neck apart to fix it.

Just the issues of attaching the fibre optics through the neck (although fibre connections are pretty common for comms)

8 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

No, it got swapped out for oak at the top of page 4

No Woodinblack is right it didn't adhere well at all I probably should have used a different glue but I swapped it for Oak instead 😀

8 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

Yes, impressive stuff!

Thanks but I had a bit of an accident today, routers and hay-fever don't mix! half way through routing the neck blank my eyes started streaming and had a sneezing fit and before I could switch the router off I nicked the neck near the nut 🤬

_20180620_080333.thumb.JPG.096133f4ab4974d35b1946e6f8dbcb06.JPG

So the only thing is I can think to get over it is if I carefully rout the neck 6mm thinner on each side (which is the width of the Oak strip wood then glue it on) 

Edited by Jimothey

7 hours ago, Jimothey said:

Thanks but I had a bit of an accident today, routers and hay-fever don't mix! half way through routing the neck blank my eyes started streaming and had a sneezing fit and before I could switch the router off I nicked the neck near the nut 🤬

_20180620_080333.thumb.JPG.096133f4ab4974d35b1946e6f8dbcb06.JPG

So the only thing is I can think to get over it is if I carefully rout the neck 6mm thinner on each side (which is the width of the Oak strip wood then glue it on) 

Ouch.

Having allergic rhinitis, I sympathise.  When a sneeze spasm seizes attention from what you are doing it can be awkward at best.

Are you sure the answer is to thin the neck even more?  I know you are to glue on a strip but are you confident that the full strength of the neck would be restored?

9 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Are you sure the answer is to thin the neck even more?  I know you are to glue on a strip but are you confident that the full strength of the neck would be restored?

That is my main concern but I can't see any other way at the moment?

Maybe when I radii (I think that's the right word?) the neck most of it might be removed? 🤔

15 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

That is my main concern but I can't see any other way at the moment?

Maybe when I radii (I think that's the right word?) the neck most of it might be removed? 🤔

If I was building this for someone else, I would fix it - except I would use 2mm binding strip, just trimming the two sides enough to eliminate the gouge.  

But the chances of c*****g up the trims either side is actually quite high. 

So if this was for my own use, I would leave it as it is.  The fretboard covers the gouge from the front view, the curve of the neck carve take almost all of it away and you are left with a shallow d scoop up to the bottom edge of the fretboard - which is pretty to easy to fill.

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Like 1

Just now, Andyjr1515 said:

If I was building this for someone else, I would fix it - except I would use 2mm binding strip, just trimming the two sides enough to eliminate the gouge.  

But the chances of c*****g up the trims either side is actually quite high. 

So if this was for my own use, I would leave it as it is.  The fretboard covers the gouge from the front view, the curve of the neck curve take almost all of it away and you are left with a shallow d scoop up yto the bottom edge of the fretboard - which is pretty to easy to fill.

I think that's what I'll do as it is only for me

As per usual I'm overthinking it!! 🙄

I really liked the sound of a binding so I've decided to bind the neck and headstock with some Oak veneer I've got

Also it's covered the discrepancy which is a bonus

I'm going to leave it all clamped up till I'm back in work on Friday the start shaping and sanding everything 😀

• Like 1